electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Performance Change from ext midi
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
T Jones

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Performance Change from ext midi Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, I did a search and didn't find anything that helped.

I want to change performances from an external sequencer - an EMU command station. I've got the global channel enabled - tried several channels with (with the corresponding track on the sequencer!). When in performance mode, the G2 responds to program changes for the individual slots (all different from global channel), but nothing doing with performances. No joy with performance variations either on the global channel - I just get variations on the slot that's in focus in the editor (the same after closing). I can switch between patch and perf modes via midi on the global channel and all slots respond to keys if selected. Any tips would be much appreciated! Thanks
Derek Cook

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

It's certainly possible as I select G2 Performances from my Yamaha EX5 (in its performance mode). On the EX5 you can send program changes for all 16 channels when you select an EX5 Performance.

I have my Nord G2 Engine set so that its global channel is 15 (and all four parts are also on the same channel for receiving modulation messages). I have also set the option for the Nord G2 engine to receive program changes (just under the global channel option).

On the EX5 in Performance Part 15 I have programmed a Bank Select MSB of 0, a Bank Select LSB of 1 (my user Performances are in Bank 2) and then the patch number. I'm not sure if you have to send the bank selects or not, but the EX5 will always send them and it works. If you want to select Performances in bank 1 then the Bank Select LSB will be 0.

Hope that helps

www.echoes-music.co.uk
www.purefloyd.co.uk
www.carregddu.co.uk
www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
www.ex5tech.com
T Jones

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Derek,

Thanks for the reply. The EMU command station has MSB and LSB bank select page for external midi tracks which I presume sends on CC channels 0 and 32. I definitely have program change receive enabled....
Derek Cook

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, the bank selects are CC 0 and 32

www.echoes-music.co.uk
www.purefloyd.co.uk
www.carregddu.co.uk
www.ex5tech.com
buzzr

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I want to do the same thing and I'm confused. I can change a patch but I cannot change a performance setting...
Derek Cook

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I suspect it's the act of sending CC 0 and 32 messages as well as patch changes that selects the performance, as opposed to changing a patch in a performance part.

So, using your controller keyboard or sequencer, you need to ensure that you send the following on the MIDI channel that you have set up for the Nord Global MIDI channel

• CC 0, with a value of 0
  • CC 32, with a value of (bank - 1) for the performance bank
  • A patch change for the performance)

Note: Performance Bank 1 is CC 32, value 0, Performance Bank 2 is CC 32, value 1, etc.

This works for me anyway from my Yamaha EX5 being used as a master controller.

www.echoes-music.co.uk
www.purefloyd.co.uk
www.carregddu.co.uk
www.ex5tech.com
T Jones

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the clarification Derek. I was attemting to send a program change (automatically designated in the command station) in performance mode. When I get home I'll try sending extra change message on CC 32. Otherwise the Command Station doesn't always recall all four patches when in patch mode and program change selected for each of the slots (on different midi channels). I dunno if this is because of too many pro change messages being sent simulataneously. Apart from prog change issues, the Commaand Station is proving to be a solid sequencer for my engine - rock solid timing, great for recording poly riffs for the G2 and punching them in and out with trigger buttons.
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: