electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
  host / artist show at your time
today> Modulator ESP Adventures In Sound
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
G2 needs to be more expressive...
Page 3 of 4 [77 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, time to through in my 2 brain cells. I think the G2 IS. it already is. So adding external controls is realtively cheap, painless, and provides the expression anybody needs.

What I'd like for expression, is a more indepth sequencer section, with better delays (I like playing with MIDI effects like multi-tap delays), and maybe even a few sampler-related modules. Things that are fairly simple tasks, but require too much DSP power for what they should with the given module set. For me, that makes things expressive. I'm a drummer, not a keyboardist, so tweaking and programming tools are what I like. Some type of grainular synth might be fun to play with, especially in the modular environment.

Then again, maybe I just need some DSP expansion modules. And where's that "Sampler Expansion module" I asked for?
Sander_k

G2 patch files: 16

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I asked the same type of question on synthforum.nl as the TS here on Electro-music, and Wout basically said that i shouldn't consider the G2 literally as a true succesor of the G1, but rather as a completely new piece of synth, I believe he's right.

I sold my G1 to step-over to the G2 and continue where i left off on the G1 but got some (minor) disappointments similar to TS. But also alot of improved ones... But i expected an improved G1 in the G2 too much, while people who are new to the Clavia thing will not make these comparissons.

I read that someone wanted to control 1 button on 2 pages, you can achieve that by assigning that button to a page and make it morph assignable.
Then you assign that morph button to another page and it's done Smile

I know it's not a solution but it works. In some cases where you have a modulation input free, you can use a constant module(assigned to another page) on it to achieve the same

btw, looking at the server time, it must be located somewhere in the middle-east Rolling Eyes
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sander_k wrote:
In some cases where you have a modulation input free, you can use a constant module(assigned to another page) on it to achieve the same

Dave Peck uses this technique as a 5th Morph group in the G1, see:
http://nm-archives.electro-music.com/010_NordModular/014_Interesting_Threads/Folder/5thMorphGroup/5thMorphGroup.htm

Wout
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sander_k wrote:

btw, looking at the server time, it must be located somewhere in the middle-east Rolling Eyes

The server is located in California. You can set the time zone in your profile. Click on the Profile item on the upper right of every forum page.

welcome

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sander_k

G2 patch files: 16

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Briljant Wout, thanks for the supporting info

Thanks Mosc
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Sander_k wrote:

The server is located in California. You can set the time zone in your profile.

The server location has been revealed:shock:
Time to get the troops back from Iraq?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Iraq is the same size as California. We can hide the server for years just like Sadam's boys hide those WMDs, no problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked

OK.. I am calm now. I am very calm now. I am absolutely at ease. I promise.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sander_k wrote:
Briljant Wout, thanks for the supporting info

Nah! Briljant Dave Very Happy

Wout
Rob

G2 patch files: 109

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Iraq is the same size as California. We can hide the server for years just like Sadam's boys hide those WMDs, no problem.

Wohooh!!! There ain't no server??? Twisted Evil
zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i have joined on the BCR-2000 bandwagon (should be getting a package within the week). between the G2 and the bcr, i will have 42 knobs and 16 buttons of immediate expressiveness Cool
Unfed

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 11

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

actually there's four more buttons on the BCR in the lower right corner, and the eight knobs up top double as buttons as well. i think you'll be very happy w/ the BCR. haven't gotten too into setting it up yet, but the layout is the best i've seen on any midi controller. then again, there's always the feeling that i'm 'flying blind' without labelling the controls. wish it had more than 32 memory slots though...
Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Unfed wrote:
then again, there's always the feeling that i'm 'flying blind' without labelling the controls.

That's true. But I kinda like that feeling! Very Happy

It reminds me of when I first got into synths and had no idea what I was doing, but these awesome sounds came out. It's good for experimental purposes, where you might change the rates of some lfo's without hearing anything, and then later on come accross the lfo amount for osc2's fm or something and things start going crazy. It's a good way to get out of a rut too IMO - load up a random patch, assign all the knobs, turn off your computer screen and go nuts! Twisted Evil
zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Unfed wrote:
then again, there's always the feeling that i'm 'flying blind' without labelling the controls. wish it had more than 32 memory slots though...

I've thought a bit about this....the first "project" I will be using it for will have very similar parameters/control architecture in the different patches, so I've got a back-up plan....masking tape and marker Cool
Unfed

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

zynthetix wrote:
I've thought a bit about this....the first "project" I will be using it for will have very similar parameters/control architecture in the different patches, so I've got a back-up plan....masking tape and marker Cool

hehe, i've thought about this option as well. what happens when you change set-ups on the BCR? Shocked

ThreeFingersOfLove

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

G2X++ is an instrument that looks more like a "synthesizer". 8 knobs for a so-called modular is a joke. Period. Regardless of whether you can control another parameter with the press of a button.

Placing LEDs around buttons is catchy. Confused

All Clavia instruments evolve from left to right. (Maximization of the money they make - good and bad at the same time).

Personally I don't like either the quality or the "layout" of the interface. For what it offers - hardware wise - the NM2 is expensive. Again maximization of the money they make - or so it seems.

Performance instrument? Well no - not for me anyway. I prefer the G2X++. Frankly, I am not interested in seeing a new version of the editor. I am not interested in seeing a new fancy module at all. We already have more than enough. What I am interested in seeing is a synthesizer with a really nice interface, with lots of knobs and sliders. Build like a tank.

Oh, something else... lol... is this a red synthesizer? Think about it.

Smile
Yannis
Unfed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

^^ intersting, though i don't really agree w/ the 'attack' on the G2 interface as it is.

imagine an 8u(?) rackmount or tabletop unit that was just a bunch of rows of assignable controllers like those that are used on the G2. impliment micro-tuning so that all those crying about the G2 being locked into the 12 notes per octave limitation can be satisfied and i think you'd be hard-pressed to find a better synth overall. here's to hoping they do something like this...

ThreeFingersOfLove

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's rather a comment expressing dissapointment - not an angry one.

Yannis
Smile
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

zynthetix wrote:
I've got a back-up plan....masking tape and marker Cool

Ah! One of the most important tricks of the experienced engineer! Writing notes, taping setllists to the wall, taping cables and indeed gear down... Feeling realy clever while doing it and hating yourself at the end of the night.

Great stuff.

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sander_k wrote:

I read that someone wanted to control 1 button on 2 pages, you can achieve that by assigning that button to a page and make it morph assignable.
Then you assign that morph button to another page and it's done Smile

That doesn´t realy work like it should, I think.

I think it´d be better to have two constants, each with it´s own knob and a s&h. Make a logic construction to detect when one of them is moving¹. At that point you make the s&h sample it. The output of your s&h goes to the parameter this is supposed to control. If you want to be realy clever about it you can use internal midi cc´s to make the moving button control the non-moving one so all the pritty lights on the interface will be correct. Beware of midi cc feedback.

-----
¹use a short delay and a couple of compare values.
X is your constant´s setting.
Y is the s&h´s value.
t is time.

so you get; Y=X for ¬(X(t)=X(t-1))

Which isn´t too hard to implement. You´ll need some crossfader that depends on the two of those constructions and sends the correct value to the s&h but you´ll survive.

cebec

G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

there was a microtuning 'tip' posted on clavia.se awhile ago for the G2. anybody remember what it said or where it is?

Ah, I see it was a patch by Palle. And I found the thread on microtuning. Anyway, just hopin' we see that in the near future...
monokit

G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ugh, I just read this thread for the first time. I sold my NM1 long ago to finance some other stuff, knowing that I'd get the G2 anyway. I always loved the more experimental, direct in-yer-face sounds of the NM1 (I just couldn't handle the poor hardware interface). I also prefer the NL1/NL2 over the NL3 for the same reason. The NL3 is way too mellow for my taste.

And now I read the G2 is a modular version of the NL3, sound wise. :(
I still haven't bought one, but had planned to stuff my studio with G2s.

So is this all true? Is the G2 indeed not good at doing the raw, experimental stuff? Is it indeed relatively thin sounding, due to the boost in the highs?

This is a shock for me. Perfect features, but not the right sound...
ThreeFingersOfLove

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

Sound per se has always been somewhat a problem for NM1 and NM2. With very careful and clever programming you can work wonders but this is going to take a lot of time. If you take a single Clavia oscillator and a single, say... Moog oscillator, well... you will notice the difference.

Smile
monokit

G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ThreeFingersOfLove wrote:
Hi,

Sound per se has always been somewhat a problem for NM1 and NM2. With very careful and clever programming you can work wonders but this is going to take a lot of time. If you take a single Clavia oscillator and a single, say... Moog oscillator, well... you will notice the difference.

Smile

I have an analog modular here, so I sure understand what you're saying! Wink

What I meant is that I probably won't like the G2 if it's sound doesn't have the power of the NM1/NL2 line of synths.
Rob

G2 patch files: 109

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

robert wrote:
What I meant is that I probably won't like the G2 if it's sound doesn't have the power of the NM1/NL2 line of synths.

Well, the G2 basically sounds much more like the NM1/NL2 then like the NL3. Later on in a patch one can make additions to the sound that can make it go way beyond that sound, e.g. in the direction of the NL3. Or in totally opposite directions. There are many things that are patched a little different on the G2 as on the NM1, but that are in essence the same thing. Don't be fooled by this.

The G2 is not a synth with a certain fixed 'sound', due to the modular nature and many new possibilities it is just a very flexible synth.

Just try out that free G2 demo software that is on the Clavia site and judge for yourself.
Page 3 of 4 [77 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: