electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » News... » Apple Computers
OS X 10.6.8 update kills network printing + a solution
Page 1 of 2 [39 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: OS X 10.6.8 update kills network printing + a solution
Subject description: Printers from Xerox, Epson, HP, Minolta and more are affected by the bug
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The OS X 10.6.8 update will kill network printing to most Bonjour laser printers. I suggest you all wait until Apple sorts this out.

The problem is this:
If you print to a Bonjour network printer from say Xerox .. .. what happens is that the printer queue will automatically pause.

If you go to your local cups webpage at: http://localhost:631/printers/
then you will see the error listed in the status field.

The problem is with some broken files in /usr/libexec/cups/backend

The solution is quite simply to restore the following files in the backend folder to their 10.6.6 or 10.6.7 versions:

socket
dnssd
lpd
ipp

Possibly just socket might do, but while testing I noted that seemingly all the 4 files were needed in order to get printing to work with various Xerox, Epson, Canon and HP printers.

See down the thread - I uploaded an installer that includes the right versions of the files. This is not a copy of similar patches posted elsewhere.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr

Last edited by elektro80 on Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:06 am; edited 4 times in total
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BTW, one very sound way to restore the backend files listed in the previous post is to copy these from a mac with OS X 10.6.6 or 10.6.7 using Apple´s Remote Desktop ( ARD ) using the "Same relative location" and "Replace item" options.

The usr folder is of course invisible because the folder name starts with the famous "." However, getting access to the backend folder is easy.

You simply go to Finder and use the shortcut shift - command - G
and then paste the path /usr/libexec/cups/backend into the go to field and click Go.

If you are using ARD ( Apple Remote Desktop ) then you can save the file selection and options as a template, but if you are familiar with ARD then you knew that already.

---
Edit -
This procedure is obviously intended for a large farm of macs. If you need to fix the bug on say one to five macs then you should check out the installer further down the thread. As this installer contains the files needed and it comes as a package then you can also use this with ARD and simply choose install instead of copy. If you don´t want to run my installer but want the files included in it, then you can do the "view contents in package" routine and grab the files.

It must be said that this is probably one of the worst blunders from Apple in recent years regarding bugs introduced by a software update. There haven´t been many though and probably none as annoying..

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr

Last edited by elektro80 on Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Stein,
I saw the update but I have become very wary so didn't do anything Wink

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

10.6.8 works fine for me Smile

Don't know about this Bonjour thing though. My iPad has killed any wifi connection to my Brother printer. It worked in previous iOS but not this latest one (apparently).

WTF are Apple up to? Rolling Eyes

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fiery posted another fix. I haven´t tested it as mine worked just fine, but ...

Fiery suggests that what is broken is the cupsSNMPSupplies query. Their fix is simply to edit the relevant ppd files and setting the cupsSNMPSupplies parameter to the value "false". This can be done easily by editing in place the PPD file. A text editor like Smultron will work just fine ( available in the app store ).

cupsSNMPSupplies is all about sending a query to the printer and then getting supply info back from the printer. The fix suggests that what is really broken in the backend files I replaced are the cupsSNMPSupplies routines.

It seems that there are two valid solutions now:

1. Replacing the broken backend files
2. Leaving the broken files in place and instead turn off cupsSNMPSupplies query in the relevant PPD files.

The Fiery solution is untested by me, but I reckon they are sure this will work.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr

Last edited by elektro80 on Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:04 am; edited 1 time in total
shanderson

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject:  Brilliant Solution
Subject description: Worked

Followed your directions above to get to the folder then just used Time Machine to slip into the past before the upgrade. Brought the four files forward replaced them and I was back to printing.
Great work.
Tip of the Hat
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Right.. Time Machine!!! Very Happy Brilliant!

Time Machine is often overlooked, but it is a pretty decent backup app. I guess I kinda had a workplace scenario in mind when I wrote the previous posts. When the 10.6.8 bug detonated I suddenly had to restore printing on 20 mac pro boxes and I´m using Retrospect 8 Server at work and not Time Machine. –And Apple Remote Desktop is probably not yet a common tool.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr

Last edited by elektro80 on Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I´ve received an email from Apple. It seems like they are hard at work figuring out the 10.6.8 printing issues. Very Happy
Solving the actual issues in the broken unix program files in the backend folder is of course a completely different matter compared to my fix that simply circumvents whatever is going on in 10.6.8 and replaces 10.6.8 files with 10.6.7 files.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject:
Subject description: OS X 10.6.8 update fix to restore network printing - free installer download

The attachment is a zipped dmg file containing a pkg installer file made with Apple´s package maker.

What it does is replacing the broken files ( see my previous posts ) .
It might be smart to repair permissions after the installation.

The package file kan be installed over a network using ARD ( Apple Remote Desktop ). As previously stated the fix is intended for and it has been proven to work with a wide range of network laser printers. In all cases tested a reinstallation of the original printer drivers weren´t needed. You will of course have to restart the printer queue.

This is also a convenient time for making yourself familiar with the CUPS printing system. http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-48447.html

Edit -

According to Apple:

Quote:
The workaround you note will work, however it will disable proper SNMP notifications. If that is of not concern to you, it is a valid workaround. Just keep a note of it, so you can undo it if and when an update is posted.

I reckon I will make another patcher that will replace the 10.6.7 files with the 10.6.8 files so this can be used to restore the system to it´s 10.6.8 state. I will publish this patcher in a new post within a day or so.

10.6.8_fix.dmg.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  10.6.8_fix.dmg.zip
 Filesize:  127.16 KB
 Downloaded:  5676 Time(s)

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject:
Subject description: Restore the OS X 10.6.8 backend files

Here is the installer that will undo what the installer posted above does.

It might be smart to run this one before running any bug fixes from Apple.

backend_restore.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  backend_restore.zip
 Filesize:  129.08 KB
 Downloaded:  2178 Time(s)

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This thread contains a lot of information now, so I guess I´ll try to sum it all up.

There are 3 known published solutions to the OS X 10.6.8 network printing bug.

1. Replace the 4 faulty files in the backend folder ( use my first installer package for this ). I´ve another installer package that will restore the 4 files to their 10.6.8 state.
This works for a wide range of printers and owners of the popular Xerox DC 242 / 252 / 260 models will indeed see printing restored. Just start the queue again and everything just works.
Only known "feature" is that some SNMP printer messaging stuff won´t work just as before but this will rarely have any consequence for the time being. You can print again. That is a good thing.
For those of you who use Time Machine this is quite easy to fix on your own. You can use my second installer to restore the 10.6.8 backend files at a later time if this is needed by Apple`s own fix ( when it finally gets published ).
This solution does of course not actually repair the problem. It simple circumvents the bug provided by the OS X 10.6.8 update with regards to network printing.

There are probably many installers and scripts around by now that does the same as the my own contribution. As they all are supposed to do the same thing they are probably all OK.

2. EFI Fiery posted a solution that involves manual editing of the PPD. You simply edit the value for cupsSNMPsupplies from true to false. There are more steps in the procedure as well.. like deleting and setting up the printers again. However, this fix does suggest what is really wrong in 10.6.8.

To me solution 1 seems simpler if you have a large farm of macs and have access to a tool like Apple´s Remote Desktop ( highly recommended if you have more than one mac on your network ). The only user involvement is turning on the print queues again. Most users know how to do this without extensive training and coaching.
The installer packages runs fine on standalone macs as well of course.

3. Xerox posted a solution which is basically a complete reinstallation of Snow Leopard.
This is not quite the best advice to give to advertising agencies and large publishing houses when there are much simpler solutions around.

There are of course many reports out there that suggests there might be some issues with local printing over USB as well after the 10.6.8 update. I haven´t looked into this because I don´t have any USB printers.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This was posted yesterday:

Quote:
Hello Mac Users.
Xerox has created a fix for the issue of printing being paused after upgrading your Mac to OS 10.6.8. It is a file that is available from our 2nd level support centres. Please contact your centre to obtain the file.
You can visit our Contact Us page for information on reaching your support centre. .

Thank You
Cherylo-Xerox
Xerox Forums Moderator

--------latest edit

I´ve confirmed that the Xerox patch is basically the same thing I´ve posted here already. It contains the very same files. It is however not the same as the one I submitted to Xerox in Norway.
It is very easy to make such a patcher/installer app, so any app that does the same as mine will do the trick. Xerox calls it "Repair 10.6.8", but this is misleading as is it does not repair Apple`s OS X 10.6.8, but downgrades parts of the CUPS system to its OS X 10.6.7 state. The result is that network printing is restored, but some features will not work. See earlier posts in this thread regarding the SNMP issues.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
reK1NDLE

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the help, elektro80! Anyone know if Lion fixes these issues?
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy

I cannot confirm anything re Lion yet. I will however test Lion in a production environment late next week and then I´ll know more.

IMO it is unwise to roll out Lion in a busy graphics production shop without very extensive testing. AFAIK, there is very little to gain from adopting Lion this early.
I will of course try out Lion on my private mac but that is a completely different matter altogether.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
reK1NDLE

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks again for your help!
juliazo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Lion also solved the issue, apparently
Subject description: (though it's still better to wait until switching)

First off, thanks for your fix!! It worked beautifully on several of my clients' workstations!

Just today I got a chance to see how the driver behaves on a computer that was updated from 10.6.8 to 10.7 without having had the fix applied: it worked. So I guess Apple did it right from the get go with Lion. Still, can't speak for how well all else works with it, I'll be experimenting with it this weekend, but at least know that printing to a Fiery controller works again. I agree, btw, with not rolling out the update on a design environment, or at least not massively.

Thanks again!!!!
danielsosmacfrance

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:17 am    Post subject: ThanX
Subject description: thanks Elektro80

you saved my day! cheers!!!
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks guys! We aim to please! Very Happy

Now it seems that Lion does not have the same bug and Apple has just released an official 10.6.8 supplemental update that sorts out the printing problems. A tad late, but they finally managed to fix the mess.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

From the Fiery site:

Bruce_W

OS X 10.6.8 Update
Apple's 10.6.8 update has caused some printers to break (printers that have been working fine for years), and we are looking for a resolution to this from Apple. For users who are seeing this problem in the field and can't wait for a fix from Apple, there is a workaround.

This workaround consists of adding a *cupsSNMPSupplies: False line to a ppd file in the /etc/cups/ppd folder. You’ll need administrative privileges to perform this workaround. Detailed steps are outlined below.

For this example we will use ColorPrinter as the name of the printer affected by the 10.6.8 update.

1. From the Finder menu choose Go, then Go to Folder…
2. Enter /etc/cups/ppd in the Go to Folder dialog box and choose Go.
3. Find the ppd named ColorPrinter.ppd. (This is the same name as the ColorPrinter in Print and Fax with a .ppd extension. )
4. Drag the ColorPrinter.ppd to the Desktop.
5. Open the ColorPrinter.ppd with TextEdit.
6. At the end of the PPD add the following line exactly as written: *cupsSNMPSupplies: False
7. Save the modified ColorPrinter.ppd to the Desktop.
8. From the /etc/cups/ppd folder, move the original ColorPrinter.ppd to the trash. Authenticate when prompted.
9. Drag the modified ColorPrinter.ppd from the Desktop to the /etc/cups/ppd folder. Authenticate when prompted.
10. Printing should now work as expected. (You may have to start the print queue if it was previously paused.)

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Buschmann

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi guys.

I got a xerox WC7425 at work. Im trying to print via network, but all im getting is a 016-749 syntax error. I´ve tried every method posted on this thread but still getting the error.

I got a MBP running 10.6.8

Any ideas what to do?

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don´t know that workcentre printer.

It stopped working after the 10.6.8 update.. and then none of these suggestions will work for you?

scratch

Lemme think.. Idea

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What is the error when you check out the local cups page? Same error like: "016-749 syntax error"

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Buschmann

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Local cups page? The only error i could find on the printer was "016-749 syntax error". Is there anywhere else i should look?
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://localhost:631/printers/

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Buschmann

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

All it says is that the job completed. No errors there.
Page 1 of 2 [39 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » News... » Apple Computers
Jump to: