electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
NMG2 Open Source Editor
Page 2 of 21 [513 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 19, 20, 21 Next
Modularmind

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just want to give props to you dedicated people who work on this! It would be so sad if our G2's would become obsolete because of OS updates just like any VST software... It deserves much more than that. WE deserve much more than that.

I also hope this forum stays alive. I'm relatively new here and haven't contributed so much yet. I have a couple of patches in the pipe, soon ready to be shared with others...
Arnaud06

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wave
brunov

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the nice words, really gives a renewed motivation to work on this!

Upgraded the text file to a html, so it's a bit more easy to read and i made a guide for installing the libusb driver and how to work with snoopypro for those who want to develop applications for the G2.

Also found out a bit more about adding cables and modules and so on.

You can find it here : http://www.bverhue.nl/G2dev/
brunov

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After a a lot of blood sweat and tears, especially tears, the software is now in a state that you can make a simple patch interactively over the usb interface. Here is a screenshot of the result and the patch when the clavia software is opened. I'll put the source code up when over the weekend when i cleaned it up a bit, but in ths stage it's only interesting for developers.

There remains a lot of work making alle the modules, with alle the little knobs and buttons. I just auto generated the modules you see in the picture, not much to look at. So maybe if we have a long winter like they have in Sweden i'll have time to make something that approaches the clava software modules.

But I'll concentrate on adding/deleting/moving/copying cables and patches and so on first and maybe do something with the volume indicators. I don't know how far I'll take this, but so far it's going well, messages and so on seem well structured and logical. Still al lot of unkowns though.

Result_1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  64.57 KB
 Viewed:  930 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Result_1.jpg

Result_2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  117.85 KB
 Viewed:  982 Time(s)

Result_2.jpg

Arnaud06

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow... I'm so excited, I can't wait to see that on Linux santa
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked You're kidding! That's awesome work! Very Happy Very Happy
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked Sweeeet!

Cool

Modularmind

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow! ....amazing ....great work! Very Happy
dorremifasol

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well-done well-done well-done well-done
brunov

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks! I've put the source code up for those who want to have a look at it, you can find it here:

http://www.bverhue.nl/G2dev/

You may have to refresh the page if you've already been there.
Goof

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Modularmind wrote:
I just want to give props to you dedicated people who work on this! It would be so sad if our G2's would become obsolete because of OS updates just like any VST software... It deserves much more than that. WE deserve much more than that.

I also hope this forum stays alive. I'm relatively new here and haven't contributed so much yet. I have a couple of patches in the pipe, soon ready to be shared with others...

Totally agree. Thank you for working on this. Really wondering why Clavia isn't doing this. The G2 only went out of production in 2009 right? A bit more product support would be expected.
Would be a shame if this great synth would lose editor functionality in the future..

BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice work done here, I'm very impressed.
drapdap

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excellent Brunov! We waited for you! Very Happy

i know this isn't the place and time for a feature list, but there's one thing i'd soo love to see in an open editor, is if i could see all four slots patch levels at the same time, and be able to mute them, monitor cc7's thru them, maybe even see which midi channel they are assigned to.

do you think this is possible?
drapdap

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

just a quick mockup, but something like this...

yeah, i'd also love to mute slot 4 while i'm at slot 2 for instance...
i know there are shortcuts to change thru the slots quickly but i can't see the levels and mutes all in one place.

well, would be nice.

Smile

4slotvol_idea.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  46.17 KB
 Viewed:  48235 Time(s)

4slotvol_idea.jpg

brunov

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey drapdap, I'm very much interested in what you would like to see in a g2 editor. I can't guaranty anything and you'll have to be very patient, but I don't think it's very difficult to add a feature like you wish.

I've been thinking also what might be an improvement to the clavia software, although I find it a very good piece of software already. Personally I would like to see a bigger screen for editing in the note sequencer, with a bit more functionality.

Another thing I would like to do is to make a so called Component package of the software so everyone with a Delphi compatible compiler can easily use the objects in the package to make his/her one version of an editor or another application for the G2. So it would be very interesting to see what kind of applications would pop up.

The last week I've been working on the graphics and learning a few new things to make it all look a bit better, you can see a picture of a few modules that are more or less ready, and I’ve been spending a lot of time designing the object structure. I think that's very important to make it flexible and adaptable, for example if someone wants to change to graphics he doesn't have to rewrite all the software.

So my next goal is to make a few more modules ready and to do some patching with it. Then I’ll find out where all the bugs are...
Shocked

Result_5.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  66.83 KB
 Viewed:  682 Time(s)

Result_5.jpg

dorremifasol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It would be nice if the modules could be easily skinned, or easily modified to (for example) make them bigger, be it in the code or through external configuration files. I would suggest a folder for all the graphics instead of having them inside the executable.

It's already a bit hard to edit the tiny modules in a modern TFT with the huge resolution they support. Not to mention that it would be amazing if you could patch the modules using your own fingers instead of the mouse in a touch capable monitor (a personal dream for me). Smile

By the way, you can extract all the original graphics in case you need them, using a tool like the Resource Tuner. That's the tool I used to customize my G2 editor:

http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-39494.html

Thanks again for your work!

BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A direct brain interface would be good as well if you could fit it in Wink
dorremifasol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nah... that would be like imagining sex. I still like touching things Very Happy
brunov

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That resource tuner would indeed be very usefull. It also shows the layout of all the modules. I'm not making a commercial product but still i'm not sure what i could use from this, considering copyright and so on.

Also thought about Drapdap's suggestion, this could be made into something like the picture.

About the brain interface, tried that out on this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BHpdU_BQ7c. Build in an engine and an editor, he's waiting for the expansion board now...

Result_6.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  72.89 KB
 Viewed:  673 Time(s)

Result_6.jpg

drapdap

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice Brunov!

don't forget the mute buttons, very important. Very Happy
you're after functionality first, then tinker with graphics?
in my opinion the variations are good being small, and close to each other, like on the original clavia soft, and the letters in the beggining of the lines will represent active slots?
Also you don't need that long spaces for names, but you know all of this i bet.

while i understand that no new modules can/will be added (how would you save them into the exsisting .pch2/.prf2 files)
(but building blocks? an integrated matrix mixer, that don't use up half the monitor when patched together?) i still have lots of ideas...
drapdap

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, one can dream. Very Happy

result_5_659_scope_01 copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  117.42 KB
 Viewed:  705 Time(s)

result_5_659_scope_01 copy.jpg

brunov

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes Drapdap, i'll keep those suggestions in mind. But don't want to spend to much time at ths stage in fine tuning the user interface, because that's not the most difficult thing right now.

I also thought about making some kind of "combination modules", but they can only exist in the editor. In the G2 they will be broken up again into there individual parts.
Kaan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great news... Thanks for your effort brunov! cheers
Dougster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not trying to rain on the parade, but why Delphi?

Every DIY person should own a copy of Electronotes: http://electronotes.netfirms.com

Blue LEDs are evil.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh Delphi is brilliant on prototyping, I do agree on your blue LED statement tho Doug Wink
Page 2 of 21 [513 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 19, 20, 21 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: