electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Marsynth
Interest in a Marsynth compilation album?
Page 1 of 3 [56 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
shanemorris
Stream Operator

Audio files: 92

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Interest in a Marsynth compilation album? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Seems a number of us now have some of these great instruments from Damon, How about a compilation album of various artists playing only Marsynths?

Id like to collaborate on a track as well, so maybe the compilation could have both solo and collaborative works with various artists. We could release the album when completed on a netlabel with a Creative Commons license.

Of course this is open to anyone...but you will have to acquire a Marsynth to participate. Laughing

If interested, please drop a line here!

KillerHaven

Audio files: 19

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: MarSynth compilation?
Subject description: what's that you say?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hells yeah!
dburgan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Interest in a Marsynth compilation album? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

shanemorris wrote:
How about a compilation album of various artists playing only Marsynths?

Are we allowed to mangle the resulting audio or should we restrict ourselves to unprocessed Marsynth sounds?
shanemorris
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Interest in a Marsynth compilation album? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dburgan wrote:
shanemorris wrote:

Are we allowed to mangle the resulting audio or should we restrict ourselves to unprocessed Marsynth sounds?

You bring up a good point Darrell. I had thought processing to the max before, but maybe it would be cool to do an album of unprocessed sounds to show off Damon's instruments more. I sure would miss reverb and delay though Rolling Eyes hehehe

Did you mean post-processing by ''resulting audio" ?

EmeraldAdrift

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Interest in a Marsynth compilation album? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

shanemorris wrote:

Sounds like a fun idea to me!

I use my Marsynths in almost everything I record now, so it would be fun to work up a piece specifically devoted to them.

EmeraldAdrift

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Interest in a Marsynth compilation album? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

shanemorris wrote:
I had thought processing to the max before, but maybe it would be cool to do an album of unprocessed sounds to show off Damon's instruments more. I sure would miss reverb and delay though Rolling Eyes hehehe

One thing I notice in my own work is that many ideas seem extremely appealing in the abstract for their purity, but can then turn highly counterproductive to artistic expression once placed in practice. The notion of using only unprocessed signals throughout the compilation is something I'd suspect falls into that category.

An approach of working without any FX (and does that include compression, EQ, etc.?) might excite one musician and inspire something amazing, while stifling another musician's imagination. Thus I think it'd be much wiser to leave that choice up to the individual artists, rather than imposing such a restriction across the board.

My own impression, after working with Marsynths regularly for a couple years, is that my choices of various and sometimes simple / sometimes complicated FX chains to apply to my Marsynths allow me to create sounds that no other Marsynth user is likely to get, and to explore unique facets of the instruments that even the designer had not originally forseen.

I also think that we can better "show off" the possibilities of the instrument by using our own personally-developed recording techniques rather than working only within confines (i.e., no processing) that we are unlikely to use except as a one-off concept.

(In fact, I'm pretty sure that most of the Marsynth website demos of the instruments utilize reverb, and sometimes delay.)

One musician may want to use nothing but dry Marsynth outputs. Another may want to use subtle FX. A third musician might opt for a heavy wash of FX. A fourth might be using a Marsynth module that is itself a signal processor, like the Nomad. A fifth may want to do post-production re-processing or even granular re-sampling of things recorded with Marsynths. A sixth might mix all of the above and more techniques.

It seems to me like all of these are good ideas, and the variety could make the compilation stronger. But that's just my philosophy on it, and I'm sure everyone will have a different philosophy.

shanemorris
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good points EA...
Im in favor of a buffet approach... a little of all the above.
Unprocessed, Processed, Post-Processed, Scattered, Smoothered, and Covered. Twisted Evil

I would also like to suggest that we should have one track that is a collaboration of all the artists on the album. We could choose someone to mix it all down.

D.Miñoza
Stream Operator

Audio files: 31

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

great idea, shane.

would love to participate .. but my marsynth (a model designed for processing guitar) is still at prototype stage.

i'm game, unless this comp comes together really fast..

in which case ill play next time. Cool

adamon

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Shane, thanks so much for suggesting this; I'm totally on board! It sounds like this could be a lot of fun. I'll be sending out a new marsynth newsletter soon, and I'll mention this so we can try and get other users involved that aren't on em.

As far as effects go, I agree with David; we should leave the choice up to the user. These instruments are designed to be used both on their own or in a mix, so it would be nice to let the album reflect that.

Dan, I'll figure out something to send your way soon... Very Happy

D.Miñoza
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

adamon wrote:

Dan, I'll figure out something to send your way soon... Very Happy

/me puts a check next to damon's name. [in the 'super-cool' column]

Cool

> stoked <

~

shanemorris
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

D.Miñoza wrote:

> stoked <

Even your avatar reflects how stoked you are!

D.Miñoza
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

shanemorris wrote:
D.Miñoza wrote:

> stoked <

Even your avatar reflects how stoked you are!

i let gossirah borrow my 10string.. i had no idea what he was gonna do with it.

@Tokyo - Gomenasai.

and it turns out, this very guitar (10 string Warr touch guitar) will one day have a marsynth built into it. Very Happy
damon and i talked about this a while back.. maybe we'll document it in a thread here when this mod project starts. -whenever the heck that is...down the line.

OK -back on topic.. 'Marsynth Compilation'.... GO!

shanemorris
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow cool dan and damon Very Happy
dburgan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok cool, so my plan would be to use nothing but Marsynth sound sources, but to feel free to mutate the recorded Marsynth audio in any way I see fit ... do we have a time frame in mind ... ?
shanemorris
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dburgan wrote:
Ok cool, so my plan would be to use nothing but Marsynth sound sources, but to feel free to mutate the recorded Marsynth audio in any way I see fit ... do we have a time frame in mind ... ?

Nothing set yet... was hoping we could all decide on something that is comfortable with everyone's schedules so that it is a fun project for all.

I am in no rush... could do this over 2 months or 6 months or anything in between.

shanemorris
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok...
Palancar and I have started on a collaboration for the Marsynth album. I am going to do a solo track as well.

Is everyone interested in doing a "group" track as well for the album? And if so... anyone interested in mixing it?

I dont mind to shepard over this project to see it to it's completion, unless someone else would like to do it. I don't mind either way.

KillerHaven

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: already have one track... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

got one in the can.
anyone interested in collaborating?
dburgan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay here is my solo submission:

http://momerath.info/tmp/palancar-marsynth.zip

It's called "The Beast in the Machine" ... and yes my Marsynth Heartbreaker does have a beast living in there somewhere. Cool

Before anyone asks, yes every sound originated with my Marsynth. I processed a lot of it quite heavily, obviously, but no other sounds were used in the making of this track.

This was fun!
shanemorris
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: already have one track... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

KillerHaven wrote:
got one in the can.

Kevin
Ive got a couple marsynth sample zip packs to send out if you or anyone wants to collaborate and mix my sounds.

KillerHaven

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: already have one track... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

shanemorris wrote:
KillerHaven wrote:
got one in the can.

Kevin
Ive got a couple marsynth sample zip packs to send out if you or anyone wants to collaborate and mix my sounds.

sounds like fun, I'm in...
shanemorris
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok I will upload tonight and send you the url via email Very Happy
dburgan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kevin/Shane, I'd be up for a collab too. If either of you have any raw Marsynth doodles you wanna send my way I'd love to mess with them ...
shanemorris
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Kevin and Darrell
You guys should have both received an email to download sample packs from me. Very Happy Laughing Very Happy

Darrell I am also very close to finishing up our first collab. Sounding nice. Ill probably be done tomorrow.

KillerHaven

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

shanemorris wrote:
Hey Kevin and Darrell
You guys should have both received an email to download sample packs from me. Very Happy Laughing Very Happy

Shane,

check. downloaded the pack... thx
onewayness

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm in, just as soon as Damon builds mine and I can play with it a little. Smile

adam / onewayness
Page 1 of 3 [56 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Marsynth
Jump to: