electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
Doepfer Modular and VCOs tracking?
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
paugui

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Doepfer Modular and VCOs tracking? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi

Unfortunately at the moment I am lacking a bit of space.
To solve this, I was thinking of getting rid of some monophonic synths I have.

I currently have 3 Teiscos S110f (still have to get two of them repaired...), 2 Yamaha CS-15, 1 Yamaha CS-10 and 1 Yamaha CS-5.
I like their sound a lot, but given the small amount of space I have, I rarely use them all together, so I don't really get that much from having so many CSs and S110f...

This way, I was thinking it could be a good idea to go modular, and trade some of those synths for a modular system.

I was thinking of getting a Doepfer system as their modules seem to be the cheapest available and it's easier to get them second-hand (so even cheaper).
And that way I could get a more complex modular without spending way too much, so that I could probably get a cool system just selling some of those synths.

This demo that really got me into "trading" my old monos for a Doepfer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykyUr2nu-lI

It shows the Doepfer can be fat and experimental.
To me it's really important it can be fat too as I want it to be able to replace the monosynths I'm getting rid of.

With a Doepfer system, will I be disappointed in getting rid of my analog synths, or will it make me happy enough with the sound and all the extra possibilities?

However, I've heard some people complaining about the tracking of Doepfer VCOs...
From what I've read, some people say they don't track well for more than 2 octaves (and indeed in that demo the keyboard has only two octaves), but to play it like a monosynth too, I think I need more than that...

Are there other brands using this kind of format with cheap VCOs that have better tracking?
Or is this not a really serious problem and the VCOs can still be usable to play around 3-4 octaves?

Thanks in advance

Paulo
Mongo1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
However, I've heard some people complaining about the tracking of Doepfer VCOs...
From what I've read, some people say they don't track well for more than 2 octaves

I once knew a man who was married to a beautiful, talented, and kind woman. He complained about her endlessly. I think there are some people who are just never happy.

I don't have doepfer equipment, but I cannot believe a synthesizer company could stay in business, much less dominate the market, if their VCOs could only track 2 octaves.

If this is true, then I will soon launch my own synth company. It must not be that hard to make money Laughing

Regarding changing your old analogs into new doepfers, only You can make that choice, but it seems like it would open up vast new world of sounds for you. I don't think you would be sorry. And if you don't like it, I think it would be easier to resell your doepfer gear - there are a lot of people who use it.

Gary
paugui

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Since I will have to get rid of some old monophonic synths to get one, I think it's better to be sure that I can at least properly play with the Doepfer, like I would with my monophonic synths.

If I could choose, I'd go for a Moog-clone modular, but considering the prices those go for... I think it's probably a better move to start with a Doepfer, as I can get a quite versatile system for much less, and I'm sure it sounds different enough to justify getting a Moog-clone modular in the future, doesn't it?

I just need someone that uses Doepfer VCOs to confirm me that Smile
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
Jump to: