electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
using an audio input to gate an oscillator
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
rich decibels

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: using an audio input to gate an oscillator Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been working on a circuit for a friend of mine. He wants to run vocals into it, and have it mix with an oscillator. I came up with this circuit, which is pretty interesting.

Here's an overview of the circuit and some samples

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

So far so good. But what I really want is to add a gate effect, so that when he sings into the mic, the oscillator switches on, and when the input drops below a certain level, it switches off.

I'm going round in circles here, so any suggestions welcome. Cheers!
artifus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

led on 386 output with ldr to ground on oscillator output?
Psyingo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

rectify and filter the incoming audio so that when he sings the schmitt trigger simply turns on for the duration that the signal is there... you can have a volume control before the schmitt trigger to sort of control the threshold. that signal to an AND gate with the oscillator will gate it. get what i mean? i dont really have a schem handy, maybe someone can grab one?

this should work
rich decibels

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Psyingo, I knew there was an easy solution. Funny how one capacitor can spell the difference between success and outright frustration. Here's what I've got at the moment.

The 386 gets the audio signal up to logic levels, C1 (1u) and R1 (10k) filter the signal, inverters A and B create the gate, which is NAND'd (using the two diodes and R2) with the oscillating output of inverter D.

Now all I need to figure out is how to replicate the 'blend' function of my original circuit. I know there's a simple solution, but I'm stuck once again. I just want to take the output of the 386 and the output of inverter C and use a pot to select the ratio of each on the final output.
rich decibels

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh yes of course it was easy, answering my own question i came up with this:

I also added a 'dirt' switch to flick between a cleanish and digitized audio signal.
Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 82

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool stuff. I recently did something similar mixing two oscillators into one new waveform through a 40106 schmidt trigger and then actively mixing back with the original.

Using a voice as the source must sound cool. Can you record a sample?
rich decibels

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Got this bad boy all finished up now. Samples and schematics at my blog.
Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 82

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool! It's pretty much a single channel vocoder.

Multiply that by 20, filter the input and output by specific frequencies and you got yourself a cmos vocoder (I think).

Sounds great as-is too.
JingleJoe

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is friggen brilliant Very Happy Carry on the good work, I'll definately make one of these eventually.
Draal

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excellent stuff bud Very Happy ! I have a similar device built into my lunetta. It's basically Tim Escbedo's PWM and works very well in adding voice, guitar, keyboards, etc. into the lunetta mix. In some of the samples below, I use either a guitar or my voice to trigger various sources on the lunetta. I like to run the PWM output into the IN of the 4040. The outs of the 4040 then go to gates or provide clock sources for other modules. I have a cv input on my variant of the PWM, which only adds to the lo fi experience.

It's one of my favorite modules in my lunetta and adds a ton of vibe.
GuTari2600 by Draal

pwm mic with phase 90 by Draal

And as far as its use in an actual "track", check out "Earth". It's not used entirely through the track but you'll know when it's on.
" Earth by Draal

JingleJoe

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

they sound really interesting, thankyou for the demonstrations, I love vocoders and things that basically make you sound like a robot dalek So I'll definately be researching this and building one of these doohickeys (do they have a name?)
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: