electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
CD4031 tap looper...
Page 2 of 2 [31 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
nathanxl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi. Ive been away all summer(winter for you in the north).
The workshop is now cool enough to work in.

Ive just bought a bunch of MC14557 chips and want to try out this circuit.
While Im waiting for them to arrive, could you smart fellows perhaps shed some light on whats going on.?..

Using all of the 64bits how many gate will this get me?
Am I correct that it will allow me 64 gates passing through it and then loop them?

Sorry if this is a silly question.
noto

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

check out the mc14517 too. when i saw this concept for the first time, it blew my mind! i used it to build a four part programmable drum machine for a circuit bent yamaha PS-3. my schematic is probably unreadable to anyone but me, but if you'd like, i can redraw it..
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-LqcYmi9hPuo/Uds4K7_vvlI/AAAAAAAAAxY/JlDh9VtwXmE/s1600/Picture+074.jpg
more info on the PS-3 build
http://www.noystoise.com/2013/07/yamaha-ps-3.html
billsship

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is there a way to clear the 4031's 'memory' quicker than holding down normally-on button for the duration of it's cycle?

I'm wondering if cutting off pin 16 (+V) momentarily would help it forget.

The reason being, if feeding slower clocks into this thing, 64 steps might take a while to cycle through.

noto

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

for mine, I used a 'step-erase' switch to delete steps incrementally, and a 'quick-erase' switch that opened the loop while switching the input clock to another one that was set to a significantly higher frequency. one short press and the whole sequence is gone. if you just turn the power off, some of the bits will still be stored when you power back up. I found it necessary to build an 'initial-clear' circuit and a flip flop to keep the loop open upon power up, but then closed when a 'write' signal is sensed.
billsship

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

noto wrote:
for mine, I used a 'step-erase' switch to delete steps incrementally, and a 'quick-erase' switch that opened the loop while switching the input clock to another one that was set to a significantly higher frequency. one short press and the whole sequence is gone. if you just turn the power off, some of the bits will still be stored when you power back up. I found it necessary to build an 'initial-clear' circuit and a flip flop to keep the loop open upon power up, but then closed when a 'write' signal is sensed.

Clever!! So, I'm guessing you manually advanced the clock input with a pushbutton, and if you saw that the bit was high, you would press the clear button?

Your way of switching to a fast clock to quickly cycle through an clear the bits, I think that's a really great idea. However, I plan on using an external clock for this. Maybe I could have a simple 40106 on board for this duty alone.

Also - did you incorporate some type of reset into this? Or did you consider any step the 1st step if they were all cleared?

noto

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

actually no, my 'step delete' would just delete each step as the clock advanced. you could use a push button though. the thing to remember though is that there will need to be a low state between each high state, so the clock input would need to be advanced twice per step. for mine, i used a 4017 frequency divider that was driven by the input clock. one of eight divisions could then be recorded to the shift register. i also added an inverter switch to be able to swap the 'spacer' and 'recordable' bits.
i'm not sure if you could reset the sequence to the first step... i don't think i tried that. that would be a nice function to have though. mine had four loopers synced together, but each had a switch to select between 8, 16, 32, and 64 step patterns, so the potential for messing up the synchronicity between each loopers' 'bit-0' while selecting the pattern length would be an issue.
anyway, good luck Very Happy
Page 2 of 2 [31 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: