electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » How-tos
Basic Live Questions
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
KeithKelly

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Basic Live Questions
Subject description: Help/advice needed
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi everyone, seems like a great forum you've got here, not quite sure how I only just discovered it recently! I have a few basic and thoroughly naive questions about performing electro/synthpop live.

I've putting my music out there on the net for a few years and have been lucky enough to have gained a decent following and am now looking into performing live.

I want to keep the setup as basic as possible for now. I currently use a Line6 kb37 (midi keyboard with built in audio interface/phantom power etc) in conjunction with my laptop using cubase running various vsts. I also record a bunch of analogue synths into my line6 but I'm not even thinking about using them live just yet.

So, my planned setup (in my imagination!) would be just me, the line6 and the laptop, with a mic going into the line 6 for some vocal parts. I would be playing parts of the songs live using vsts loaded on cubase accompanied by some backing audio tracks playing the rest of the music. I know this isn't an ideal setup but do you think it would be feasable for some small gigs?

The second part of my question is where I am really naive. Do I actually need an amp/PA speakers (not even sure what the difference is exactly Embarassed ) or could I just send my line 6 out straight to the mixing desk?

Apologies for the stupid questions, I had never intended to play live initially but have recently had an invitation to play in Germany in December which would be great but as you can see, I'm fairly clueless about this stuff!

Any other tips/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Basic Live Questions
Subject description: Help/advice needed
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

KeithKelly wrote:
The second part of my question is where I am really naive. Do I actually need an amp/PA speakers (not even sure what the difference is exactly Embarassed ) or could I just send my line 6 out straight to the mixing desk?

It depends on what the venue has to offer. If there is a mixing board and PA system already in the house, you can probably get by just sending a stereo pair to them, and that's it. You'll have to ask them what kind of cable connectors they expect from you.

You'll want to monitor yourself on stage. What you sound like to yourself live on stage will be different from home or studio. Again, the house may have stage monitors pointing back at you. I tend to use headphones on my outgoing mix and shut off the stage monitors, but that's because I mic acoustic instruments and use a lot of feedback-driven processing, and the danger of runaway feedback is high. You mention a mic. It's something to try out during sound check, whether you can safely use the stage monitors to hear yourself. I guess that's preferable, and I usually do that when I am playing all electronic instruments with no mics. Take headphones for troubleshooting in any case.

When I have to drag my own along, I use a pair of these and one of these for decent frequency range for synthesized sounds, although my son complains of high end hiss on the amps. Two of these serve as stage monitors as needed. I wouldn't buy anything along these lines until you attend some live gigs, hear what they sound like, and talk with owners.

With any luck, you'll be starting off in a venue with its own PA, mixing board, decent acoustics, and a good turnout.

Not sure of the technical definitions of PA versus amps, except that PAs tend to be general purpose, fairly powerful, while an amp you bring along is likely more matched to the sound you want. If my son is playing electric guitar with me, he will usually mic one of his amps and feed that, either back to my processing, or to the house's mixer + PA. His amp is part of the timbre that he wants. That approach is fairly common. Software or hardware FX models for desired amplifiers are typically second rate compared to the real thing!

Hope this helps. Have fun Very Happy

KeithKelly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Many thanks for the detailed reply! I know this is sort of an unanswerable question, but how common would it be for venues to have their own pa system/monitors etc?

thanks again
Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

KeithKelly wrote:
Many thanks for the detailed reply! I know this is sort of an unanswerable question, but how common would it be for venues to have their own pa system/monitors etc?

thanks again

You really need to talk with someone at the venue. Typically, if I set up a venue, I need to supply the sound system, whereas if I play an established venue, I do not. But, I know of small venues in my area where the performers must bring the sound system. So, it varies.

Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » How-tos
Jump to: