electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
<on air> EdisonRex Edison's Electronic Review
  Twyndyllyngs Special Monday edition of Chez Mosc
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » MIDI Controllers and Interfaces
Novation 25 SLMK II MIDI controller
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
laura woodswalker

Audio files: 10

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Novation 25 SLMK II MIDI controller Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi!
I just bought a Novation 25 SLMKII (pronounced "slim-key", short for 'spiffly little midi keyboard'. LOL! I have to call it something. Why do they give these things names that mean nothing??) Actually it is my first MIDI controller! In fact I don't even have a laptop yet.

I wanted a MIDI controller after listening to Ableton's mind-blowing space instruments & effects. I had been looking for "spacy" ever since my Zeitgeist effects unit died! My sounds were just too "normal" Smile

Does anyone else have one of these? I'd like to correspond about MIDI and similar stuff.

Anyway, there is a display screen that is supposed to display paramaters for any knob/button that you touch, but mine only displays it for the top row of encoders (which has some very pretty LEDs by the way.) I wonder why it is doing this? Perhaps it only works in the 'Automap" software that they are pushing. My computer did not like Automap. It froze & I had to do a spyware scan. My automap mysteriously disappeared.

There is almost no documentation for the Newbie. So I am discovering it all on my own. Today I thought I'd try & see if the electribe can be hooked up to Ableton's drum rack. After really learning what Ableton's drum racks can do along with a good MIDI controller, I think all my hardware just became obsolete! Surprised

Anyone who I have talked to who remembers me from E-M, please write! I hardly saw anyone I knew at the last E-M. Miss you!

BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You really need to get auto map installed correctly to get the best out of this.

Have you tried downloading the newest version from the notation web site and installing that?
laura woodswalker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
You really need to get auto map installed correctly to get the best out of this.

Have you tried downloading the newest version from the notation web site and installing that?

I am told that if you use Ableton you don't need Automap & that the SLMKi is set up to work "seamlessly" with ableton.

laura woodswalker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

laura woodswalker wrote:
BobTheDog wrote:

I am told that if you use Ableton you don't need Automap & that the SLMKi is set up to work "seamlessly" with ableton.

Yeah so I downloaded & installed Automap. I don't use it in my controller though...I use Advanced mode because thats how I learned.

So I have this weird problem... several notes don't play. Specifically c-1 thru F-1. Doesn't matter which ableton instrument. Doesn't matter if I switch octaves, so it is not a hardware problem on the SLmki keys.
I believe the problem existed since I bought the instrument on Oct. 19 but I only really took note of it now.

What the hell could the problem be?

I like this controller but I have had a lot of problems with it, because of Novation's awful documentation, their confusion with Automap, and now this.

I wrote to their tech support but that will take several days. Meanwhile I wonder if any of you folks have any ideas.

Ever get tired of problems? Mad

BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Do you have any midi monitoring software?

You are on windows yes?

Midiox is a good one, install it and monitor the midi from the keyboard, there is a simple vid here showing how http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=midiox%20monitor&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CE0QtwIwAw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DWsEP6woIeXM&ei=QEPATtOwN5TE8QPfx5ijBA&usg=AFQjCNHRCojFCusPTNOtswFtYmyLxmKR8g

Press the problem keys, are there midi messages?

If not then could well be a hardware issue.
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » MIDI Controllers and Interfaces
Jump to: