electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  PHOBoS presents Sim Biosys (EM mix)
  PHOBoS Tales of the Golden Teacher
  PHOBoS presents Music by Hrastprogrammer (feat. Terence McKenna)
  Faux Pas Quartet and friends Music From Last Thursday
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
can't make myself clear so see the picture attached ;-)
Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
drumfish

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: can't make myself clear so see the picture attached ;-)
Subject description: nevertheless i practice my english a.s.a. i can
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for your help
i browsed many threads about midi in the g2 but i couldn't find an answer to my question ... sorry if it's been asked before

global_channel.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.82 MB
 Viewed:  115 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

global_channel.jpg

Blue Hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 147
G2 patch files: 318

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, right - now I do understand the question ... not enough tracks available ...

Hmm .. should not be too hard ... as there is a PC send and a CtrlSend you can chain these modules from the send output to the send input of the next one - this determines the order in which the messages will be sent - when the first one is done the second one in the chain will start.

When you want remote control for what PC and banks select they send you'll need morphs on the Value knob and the Program knob. Then assign a CC value to the morph knobs ...

To trigger when things get sent you probably want to use CtrlRcv module.

Does this help?

drumfish

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks a lot ... i've been trying these midi module for few days ... the problem is that i'm stuck every time i try to send midi datas from any slot to the global channel ... weird ... the global channel is active & i have no problem to send a data to any of the 4 slots ... i just have to find the good way to chain the midi modules now you pointed the midi modules as well ... i shure miss a way to connect them properly ... so i go back to the editor & i keep in touch as soon as i sort it out ... thanks to you & electromusic to share such a huge database.
Blue Hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

drumfish wrote:
the problem is that i'm stuck every time i try to send midi datas from any slot to the global channel

Right ... starting to understand the problem better now ... maybe Laughing

It is not possible I think to make a patch that changes itself for another one ... I've needed a 2nd G2 to do stuff like that.

Maybe performance mode is not a good idea then ... in patch mode I think you could send program changes and bank selects to the channel associated with the individual patch.

Is that a better idea?

Blue Hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm .. or maybe it is .. with a MIDI merger and a G2 sending MIDI to itself via the hardware/external MIDI connectors .. never tried that Shocked
Roland Kuit

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 127

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Or maybe with a program like Midi-ox?
Still miss your Midi Mod Jan Smile

http://rolandkuit.com/
drumfish

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks guys for your help,
so ... everything works on all slots (in a midi module / scroll down menu / channel this & slots A to D works in perf mode) but apparently you can't send any data to a "numerous" midi channel without plugin a midi cable. The midi merger is quite a good idea as i'm kind of familiar with weird midi chaining. The prg change works in patch mode but the bank change doesn't / only in perf mode.

& if i stay in patch mode i'm stuck with only 128 patches when the perf mode loads any patches from any of the 32 banks that's why i'm trying to sort out this perf mode.

i'll try the midi merger or i'll drive a synth from the machinedrum ( no arpegiator ) thru the monomachine to get an extra midi track for the global channel.

@sono-logica A.K.A "the tutorial" Wink midi ox seams to be a good little soft but i work hmmm i try to play my machines with no laptop ... only hardwares.

anyway, thanks for all guys & we all look forward the 2nd version of an already great tutorial ... don't we ?
Roland Kuit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There is something like a midi patch bay.
http://notahat.com/midi_patchbay
http://www.oocities.org/area51/dimension/6182/mx8editor/

outofhed.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  12.5 KB
 Viewed:  5012 Time(s)

outofhed.jpg

drumfish

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for midi patchbay
i don't know how i could use it with my stuff but i'll try

& that's all about getting the music out of my head Wink
Roland Kuit

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can send pch data etc to your computer and you can figure out what data it is for program changes(I think). You can see all kinds of midi data. Jan is the expert here:)
drumfish

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i bothered jan enough & thanks to you roland ... poped-in-time for help ... keep twiddling & sharing your knowledge ...
culture is free so why not sharing Wink
drumfish

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

by the way ... i was browsing the net to know how to spell "knob-twiddler" & i found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expert_Knob_Twiddlers ... culture !!!
Blue Hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

drumfish wrote:
i bothered jan enough

Laughing I started to like it Wink

Just post, feel free, there are plenty of people here to respond, there are no silly questions, we were all born with empty memories.

drumfish

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

true
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Hmm .. or maybe it is .. with a MIDI merger and a G2 sending MIDI to itself via the hardware/external MIDI connectors .. never tried that Shocked

that is a very flexible solution, the (midi merger and splitter) patchbay approach makes anything control anything else ... for example you md could control the blofeld or novation, with it's cool MIDI machines) in addition the the monomachine or the G2. Make sure you only have one midi clock and nothing sends/echos midi clock but that one source.

I personally use a MIDI solutions Quarda Merge going into a Quad Thru from Midi solutions.. I leave MIDI local off in the G2. In my setup I have 2 G2's, Octatrack and iPad (MIdiTouch) merging and splitting to xoxbox, Blofeld, Dark energy, 2880 looper and the G2's OT and iPad.

dasz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the thing I'm trying to set up at the moment is a G2 based MIDI filter and MIDI message augmenter/builder, which listens to Note and CC data coming from the OT and changing it before it gets to other gear ....

the only good way I can do it is to use a few spare MIDI channels,

1. have the OT send midi to multiple slots in the G2 (so this way I can recieve all notes on one channel, I always miss not having the Keyboardin module with selectable MIDI channel)

2. the G2 transforms the MIDI data (for example lengthens notes, transposes them, changes velocity, generates new notes) output to the midi channels for the other gear

cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

drumfish wrote:
thanks for midi patchbay
i don't know how i could use it with my stuff but i'll try

& that's all about getting the music out of my head Wink

Patch bays provide for all sorts of routing and msg filtering.
I used to have a very old one, that worked quite nicely for my needs.

I'm sure the modern versions are more powerful.

I'll second the vote for MidiOx. You'll need a PC to run it, but it can do
sophisticated routing, filtering and mapping too. It's also free, but you will need a midi port
on the PC that is running it. MidiOx can be scripted too, if necessary.

drumfish

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dasz wrote:
1. have the OT send midi to multiple slots in the G2 (so this way I can recieve all notes on one channel, I always miss not having the Keyboardin module with selectable MIDI channel)
2. the G2 transforms the MIDI data (for example lengthens notes, transposes them, changes velocity, generates new notes) output to the midi channels for the other gear

you must tell me more now Wink
you send the settings in the hardwares ? you need your laptop running or you send the midi datas like a sysex file ? i don't understand how this patchbay works ... i spent days with the blofeld filling it up of samples so i had no much time to try midi patchbay but it sounds interesting ...

i need more something like this http://www.midisolutions.com/prodrte.htm as i just need to rechannelize a single midi out with 2 different channel & then drive 7 synths from 6 outs ...
egw

G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You should be able to use the G2 for most of what the router does. But you'll need something like a midi thru box to control 7 synths from it.
drumfish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

egw wrote:
You should be able to use the G2 for most of what the router does. But you'll need something like a midi thru box to control 7 synths from it.

good you came to share your knowledge Wink one more ... i keep the dsp power to create patches in the g2 & i control my synths from the monomachine ... the sequencer is killer ... i think i'll get a midi router from midi solutions & i'll rechannelize the router to control 2 synth from 1 midi out with the same midi track on different midi channels ...
dasz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

drumfish wrote:
you must tell me more now Wink
you send the settings in the hardwares ? you need your laptop running or you send the midi datas like a sysex file ? i don't understand how this patchbay works ... i spent days with the blofeld filling it up of samples so i had no much time to try midi patchbay but it sounds interesting ...

i need more something like this http://www.midisolutions.com/prodrte.htm as i just need to rechannelize a single midi out with 2 different channel & then drive 7 synths from 6 outs ...

No laptop (except for editing patches and dumping some samples into the OT. my key midi generating synths/machines can talk to all other gear including each other. The blofeld dektop dark entrgy and xoxbox can only listen and are not connected to the midi merger)

In terms of control, it depends who is on what midi channel, that is how i route midi in this. The Nord g2 can filter messages and transpose them with a midi thru module, however doing other types of filtering like changing note lengths, velocities and adding or duplicating notes has to be done using one g2 slot per midi channel (for keyboard module). This is done in a g2 patch which listens to keyboard module and then the signal is routed to a midi note message with logic and user interface in-between... The OT sends midi sequence on channels which the blofeld , dark energy, and xoxbox are NOT listening to (ch 14,15,16). Dark energy listens to 8, xox is on 9, and blofeld is on 10. The g2 listens to 14,15,16, in 3 slots. Each of these slots then responds and alters the midi data on these channels and generates the appropriate midi note for the destination synth (on midi channels 8,9, or 10).

the midi router module sounds interesting if you want to do some simpler filtering to various outputs..

With the amount of gear capable of sending cool midi messages you have (machine drum, mono machine and g2), I highly recommend buying the quad midi merger as well ...

drumfish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dasz wrote:
I highly recommend buying the quad midi merger as well ...

i'll check the configurations of this quadra merge then ... thanks for the advice

dasz wrote:
This is done in a g2 patch which listens to keyboard module and then the signal is routed to a midi note message with logic and user interface in-between... The OT sends midi sequence on channels which the blofeld , dark energy, and xoxbox are NOT listening to (ch 14,15,16). Dark energy listens to 8, xox is on 9, and blofeld is on 10. The g2 listens to 14,15,16, in 3 slots. Each of these slots then responds and alters the midi data on these channels and generates the appropriate midi note for the destination synth (on midi channels 8,9, or 10).

exactly what i'm looking for in term of midi chaining ...
dasz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The only thing about sending patch changes to a g2 which is doing filtering is the interruption of service when a new patch loads up (as par of a performance or a slot ... So if your performance includes all the patches you will use for a show so you are not sending patch changes within the g2, only outside, then you're good ...
dasz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

drumfish wrote:
dasz wrote:
I highly recommend buying the quad midi merger as well ...

i'll check the configurations of this quadra merge then ... thanks for the advice

You're welcome ... The merger made a big difference and made the entire rig easy to use in different ways without any rewiring ...

drumfish

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dasz wrote:
without any rewiring ...
exactly what i look for ... kind of fed-up to set the all midi protocol again & again ... i see on your profile picture that you have an octatrack ... how's the audio quality ? i sold my mpc ... not a very intuitive machine even the sequencer is killer ... octatrack's on my wish list & then i won't miss midi channels Wink

i just clicked on your profile & oh surprise http://www.clavia.se/misc/users/daszgarncarz.htm we're in good hands on electro-music roland, jan, you & more Wink
Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: