electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
General issues with the Andromeda
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
dr.orange

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:59 am    Post subject:  General issues with the Andromeda
Subject description: Pan, Knobs crackle, Voices detuned
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello everybody!
After some time, I turned on the Andromeda again, and was remembered of the issues I had with it. I want to ask you if you experience them as well or if my unit is a faulty one.

Pan: Per default (value 0) the synth is panned to the right. At value -60 it seems to be panned in the middle. Is that normal?

Potentiometers crackle: This is very annoying. Whenever I try to fiddle with one of the medium or small sized potentiometers (not the big filter-cutoff or semitone-transpose ones) they make the values jump around heavily. Even when I rest the potentiometer and the value is "set", the value jumps around for some time causing the display to jump to that value.

Voices detuned: No matter how many times I autotune the synth, three voices are tuned down a constant amount of hertz (In the higher key-ranges, the difference can't be heard but when the lower keys are played this can be clearly heard, it seems as if they are tuned down one or more semitones.

Do you experience these problems to some extent?
The panning is not such an issue (it will be when I program patches that use random panning because from left to middle there are 40 integer values from middle to right there are 160,) neither are the three detuned voices since they can be turned off. But the crackling potis are a hassle.
sunny pedaal

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

no i don't have any of these problems at all, never had also.
get a good servicing, maybe some cableconnection inside, or something small.
please keep us informed.
soundwave106

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've experienced jumpy pots before, but I think a conventional potentiometer cleaning took care of that. The other problems sound like an abnormality that needs to be serviced, no problems here.
dr.orange

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

soundwave106 wrote:
I've experienced jumpy pots before, but I think a conventional potentiometer cleaning took care of that.

How did you clean the potentiometers? As far as I can see, it's only possible to clean them on the outside, am I right? If you did clean them on the outside (with removed caps of course), did that fix the jumping parameters? I'm no technician, but I think that the jumping comes from connection issues on the inside of the pots..?
Or did you open them (if that's even possible)?

sunny peedal wrote:
get a good servicing, maybe some cableconnection inside, or something small.

Unfortunately I can't afford a servicing right now. I will look into the issue, maybe I can fix them myself. Otherwise I might service it in the future and of course will keep you updated.

It seems that I have an exceptionally faulty unit. There are certain voices that leak sound even if every volume knob is turned all the way down, and on certain voices the ring-mod leaks oscillators even if they are turned off. Once I have set up everything and got to know my Andy again, I will create an audio file that shows the strange behavior.
Maybe you will confirm that you experience the same "irregularities" or you will be glad that your unit is not as faulty as mine Wink
soundwave106

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dr.orange wrote:
[How did you clean the potentiometers?

I think it was nothing more than turning it left and right rapidly a bunch of times, frankly.

Googling, however, I see that loose ribbons inside the synth can also cause this jumping. If you are experiencing a *lot* of jumpy pots (I wasn't), it's more likely a loose ribbon as the ribbons they use to connect the controller board and sound board are kind of flimsy. For all I know, it could even a board issue that requires service -- considering the other problems you have, you might as well take it in.
junosound

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm experiencing a couple of skippy knobs as well. I considered replacing the pots with higher quality ones than the A6 came with but found that there are too many factors involved and it would be too risky as of yet in my rather unexperienced state. The alternative would be to clean them with Caig DeoxIT, but this is only possible if the pots are not of the sealed kind.
Does anybody know if the pots are sealed or unsealed?
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Jump to: