electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » News... » Miscellaneous News
Jürgen Haible is dead
Page 7 of 8 [190 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
arnew

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just discovered the sad shocking news.
My deepest felt condolences goes to his family.

May he rest in peace
tazer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe a specific thread should be made for discussion about the pcb/business to help the family side of this thread and this thread should just specifically be for people to pay their respects without business or personal aspects.

It is obvious from peoples comments how highly he is regarded. So now is the time to celebrate the amazing legacy to music he has left behind, it is always hard to lose someone but at least he left lots to remember him by.

rip JH good luck on the next level
frenchyinmunich

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mongo1 wrote:
Quote:
btw,something should be done fast for that fake site..

the new site is registered through GoDaddy.com by someone named Scott Rider. I may be wrong, but I think that is none other than OldCrow.

Thanks
Gary

Nice...
Someone informed me that the website has been somewhere else hosted...
I imagine, the familly will apreciate...

No comment...
SubG (deactivated)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mongo1 wrote:
Hey Gang,

Can we please stop speculating about Jurgen's work habits, family life etc? None of us know the facts, or what was in his heart. Continued discussion in this area is in very poor taste.

We are here to preserve his memory and his work. So let's stick to that.

Thanks
Gary

Its better to talk abouth him then over who gonna take over the pcb business imo + its not speculation

We have to remember that good man not his pcb's...
oldcrow

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
the new site is registered through GoDaddy.com by someone named Scott Rider. I may be wrong, but I think that is none other than OldCrow.

This is Scott Rider aka the Old Crow. I had known JH a very long time, and I considered him the best friend I never got to meet in person. A dozen years ago, his web site was hosted by me (for free). As his untimely death greatly unsettled me, I acted in what I feel is his best interest and had an archival copy of jhaible.de returned to his shell account on oldcrows.net, an account that never actually went away, but rather lay dormant for years. Given the swift nature of domain activity on the internet in general, I registered the domain jhaible.com to lessen the likelihood of JH's efforts from being sold out from under his family by less scrupulous people. My goal is preservation of his electronic music legacy. I know it is something JH would have approved of, and would have wanted me to do. That is all.

--Crow
/**/

Mongo1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I registered the domain jhaible.com to lessen the likelihood of JH's efforts from being sold out from under his family by less scrupulous people.

Thanks Crow -
A very prudent idea.

Gary
frenchyinmunich

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: WEB SITE Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Last edited by frenchyinmunich on Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
oldcrow

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: WEB SITE Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

frenchyinmunich wrote:
But Juergen web site is still running... Why making a domain Name now in USA when it is still running?

I have turned off the site while jhaible.de still exists. As for the reason for registration, it was a judgement call to preclude some knock-off shop from grabbing it and trying to make money.

Crow
/**/

frenchyinmunich

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: WEB SITE Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oldcrow wrote:
frenchyinmunich wrote:
But Juergen web site is still running... Why making a domain Name now in USA when it is still running?

I have turned off the site while jhaible.de still exists. As for the reason for registration, it was a judgement call to preclude some knock-off shop from grabbing it and trying to make money.

Crow
/**/

Well, as the www.jhaible.de is still running and as the rights are still the property of Birgit, I find you a little bit too early...

So, you won't make money in hosting these www.juergenhaible.de web site copy and neither won't take any privilege of the situation no?
oldcrow

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: WEB SITE Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

frenchyinmunich wrote:
Well, as the www.jhaible.de is still running and as the rights are still the property of Birgit, I find you a little bit too early...

So, you won't make money in hosting these www.juergenhaible.de web site copy and neither won't take any privilege of the situation no?

The thing with internet domains is it is first-come, first-served. Get it now or risk having it end up being taken by someone with less honorable intentions. I am doing this solely for JH's sake, not my own. As I said, I have mothballed jhaible.com while jhaible.de exists. In fact jhaible.com redirects to jhaible.de after 15 seconds.

--Crow
/**/

lambshain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wouldn t it be a good idea to have the possibility to submit a voluntary

donation to a bank account of jürgens family??
Harry_W

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lambshain wrote:
wouldn t it be a good idea to have the possibility to submit a voluntary

donation to a bank account of jürgens family??

The idea of a memorial fund or similar has been expressed in this thread by many people and will be discussed soon with Jurgen's family. Unfortunately I had no time to talk to Jurgen's brother today, as I intended.

Harry_W
furio

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpGFkc5GNxs
Jürgen Hable is the author of the music in this video.
Mongo1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice work furio - Very spooky....

I keep expecting to see Vincent Price and Peter Lorre peering out of those windows. Twisted Evil

Gary
Harry_W

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mongo1 wrote:
Nice work furio - Very spooky....

I keep expecting to see Vincent Price and Peter Lorre peering out of those windows. Twisted Evil

Gary

Just to sort this one out: The video was made by my wife Alla, not by furio. I already solicited this video in this very thread on page 5...

So I take Gary's commendation to Alla's account Cool. Thank you anyway, furio, for your advertising Wink

It seems some people are looking for "traces" of Jurgen on the net. On youtube, except for our video I only found demonstrations of Jurgens designs (in their technical aspects), but nothing regarding the artistic side of his music. Btw., the music of the video is some bits from the track "Holiday in Purgatory" (2002).

Regards,
Harry_W
jojjelito

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice work on the video.

I wish I wrote something earlier, but I feared I would be less eloquent. R.I.P Juergen. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

I hope this doesn't sound political but I sincerely hope that anyone who sells PCBs or draws on Juergens fantastic work in the future donates any and all proceeds to his familiy. It would feel terrible to see "Eagle-clones" of his PCBs for sale by unscrupulous companies or individuals.

Thanks you to frenchyinmunich for trying to do this on a voluntary, not for profit basis. This honors you and does you enormous credit. I hope you can succeed in settling any squabbles over web domains and who does what so that we all can proceed in a civil, respectful manner.

Please don't soil the legacy of a great man with a great mind by keeping it voluntary so that any profits do good for the children and family that we as a community ought to try and help. Personally I don't think that DIY would have come as far along as it has today if it wasn't for good people like the late Mr Haible.

Thank you.
frenchyinmunich

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Juergen Haible Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello dear Electronic Music forum friend,

I only described a process how it could work.
In fact, it is really not difficult to do new run for different modules.
Just only keeping the way it worked.
Juergen did an amazing MASSIVE work that many people who are not electrician can't realize.
And Juergen did already a market analyze, searching the providers, components and this approved running process shouldn't be changed.

If the "responsible" want to modify prices, etc... Or even decided to stop, no problem, I can understand too...

Like we say in engineering software or electronic, never change a running process.

And it is not a must I do that if. Harry, or any Juergen's relatives can do it.

Thanks,

F

Last edited by frenchyinmunich on Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
jojjelito

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks frenchy!

I don't think that any individual here harbors ill will or is a rip-off artist. I don't see anyone acting in bad faith here. I just hope that it can stay that way. Keeping it civil, acting like adults and being both rescpect- and thankful is important.

I hope the legacy of Mr. Haible stays unspoiled.

/J
SubG (deactivated)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

furio wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpGFkc5GNxs
Jürgen Hable is the author of the music in this video.

excellent video and music
Harry_W

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject: Jurgen Haible memorial fund and others
Subject description: Jurgen's family has set some guidelines for the his legacy
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Finally, I managed to obtain (preliminary) opinions from the Haible family regarding the questions

- continuation of the PCB business
- setting up an account for a memorial fund
- other actions to support the family

First of all, I was asked to point out that the family, especially Jurgen's wife Birgit, is undergoing very difficult and hard times now. There are many legal, organizational and practical problems to be solved, besides the psychological strain entailed in this sad event. The fact that Jurgen did his electronics hobby and the PCB business without any participation of the family, and that he and his wife lived in separation and went through a mediation process, makes everything even more complicated. The legal implications regarding the PCB business are therefore not clear, either. All legal aspects will be clarified by the family's attorney, but this takes time.

Having said this, please understand that the family needs to take a reprieve in all these questions for some weeks, or even months. They apologize for any inconvenience or delays caused by this break. This also means that no measures should be taken by members of the community which could infringe copyright laws or which could possibly interfere with the rights or sales involved in the PCB business or in Jurgen's designs.

This is certainly not an act of unfriendliness or lack of co-operation, but to self-protect Birgit from consequences. The simple fact is that many important questions cannot be answered yet, and by taking premature steps, Birgit and other persons could subsequently be harmed (financially, legally).

CONTINUATION OF THE PCB BUSINESS:
The family really aims at continuing the PCB distribution in one way or the other. But the modus operandi is not clear yet, neither, who will (and is allowed to) do the job. Jurgen had a close friend who participated in the business in some way, but I learned about him only yesterday. Maybe he can take over Jurgen's share. Besides the legal aspects, all the documents needed to continue the job need to be found and inspected. So do not be afraid (if you planned to build a JH design) that the designs will get "lost", just be patient!

SETTING UP AN ACCOUNT FOR A MEMORIAL FUND:
This is something I asked the family to do themselves, not me. I do not want to be involved in financial matters of the family in any way.
We agreed to set up such a fund very soon, even for the reason of tracking and separating finances. It was also agreed that the proceeds of such a fund should go directly to Birgit; she is the one who cares for the children and who is affected most by the loss of Jurgen. Birgit has to work part time to have a living, the two-year daughter staying at her mother during work (son Tassilo joined a higher school this year and can care for himself some hours a day). Birgit's mother promised me to ask Birgit to set up the fund (for the time being, I avoid speaking with Birgit directly, she has troubles enough to cope with, though she is assisted by her relatives and her church).
As soon as the memorial fund is set up, you will be informed about the account dates. Unfortunately, it is not possible to use Jurgen's former paypal account for any donations: they cannot access it and it is not clear if it would work.

OTHER ACTIONS TO SUPPORT THE FAMILY:
There had been some ideas in the community, how to get proceeds for the benefit of the family. Francois (frenchyinmunich) suggested the simplest way: to call for orders to create batches of Jurgen's PCBs, where he would volunteer in the collecting of orders, triggering the production batch runs, and shipping of the PCBs to the customers. This idea, which I found is supported by many of you, can be realized as soon as the legal aspects of Jurgen's company are cleared (see above). I will negotiate with Jurgen's partner about the details. fonik (Matthias) already raised a call in his forum area for pre-ordering WASP clone PCB (fonik's own layout, Jurgen never created one) and said to donate 5 EUR per ordered piece to the family. This also needs to be delayed, at least until the legal aspects (copyright, licensing, pricing) are cleared with Jurgen's partner and the attorney.
The future of Jurgen's web site is not clear yet; but this is the least trouble for now; many of you have already made (private) copies of the site. Please do not copy and publish anything created by Jurgen on other sites, and if you build anything with the help of his designs, it is for private use and not for resale! What I noticed, and what should be fixed, are some broken links on his original home page, probably because they still direct hard-linked to Jurgen's older site in Austria. Would be a good job to find the old resources (crow aka Scott Rider?) and, some day, publish a "refurbished" JH home page. But this seems a long way off...

Best regards,
Harry
Mongo1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks so much for doing this Harry - I know this must be a difficult thing. I'm sure everyone here appreciates your efforts...

Gary
furio

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you Harry!

This thread makes me truly sad, but the PCB's must go on!
The family should give the Vocoder prototype to a capable person to complete the debugging.

The Legend must live on...
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Danke Harry!

it is great for all of us that you spend so much time for doing this. thank you...

v8pete

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excellent work Harry - your efforts are greatly respected and appreciated!
Pete
SubG (deactivated)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great efforts,thanks for your time!
Page 7 of 8 [190 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » News... » Miscellaneous News
Jump to: