electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Wanted, For Sale, Opportunities and Requests » Parts and Components
Living VCO board
Page 1 of 2 [42 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
jfloftin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:42 am    Post subject: Living VCO board Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

With the untimely passing of Jürgen Haible, I am asking if anyone has one of these they would want to part with. I was about to order one to start the project. If anyone knows how I might go about getting one through an alternate means, let me know.
James
haima

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

(James - I hope it's ok to add my request on here)

I'm in the same boat.... if there's more than one spare PCB out there i'd love to build it.

If i can't find a PCB i'll have to try to build it on stripboard i think - this is the way Jurgen would have done it anyway.

Very very sad that Jurgen is no longer with us... Crying or Very sad
roman_f

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i also need that board, please PM
diablojoy

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

and here as well.
I too was planning to do a couple at least in the next year or so
as well as a few of his trapzoid VCA
once some time has passed perhaps someone will pick up his
projects there has been some discussion of this but still too soon as yet.

as good an answer as any
jfloftin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good deal guys...
Maybe Bridechamber will pick up these boards? Who knows. Jurgen's family should get the proceeds from anything that is done if new ones are manufactured.
The gerber files for the boards would be the start for manufacture. I don't know if anyone has these or not...
a100user

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll be up for one too.
oldcrow

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am doing what JH would have wanted me to do, recapturing his schematic into Eagle and making the board myself.

It is funny, he and I had this talk about 10 years ago about linear detune and why it sounds so nice. I described how Yamaha had this famous knack of limiting certain parameters, such as PWM only between 50% and 90%, and we concluded it was to allow multiple instances of modulation to blend without over-modulation. I was working on adding a 2nd VCO bank to the Korg Polysix at the time.

As for the Living VCO boards I make, I might put it up on BatchPCB, but I want to do it in a way that ends up sending a modest profit to JH's kids. So, it will be a while before that avenue is considered.

Crow
/**/
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SubG (deactivated)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oldcrow wrote:

As for the Living VCO boards I make, I might put it up on BatchPCB, but I want to do it in a way that ends up sending a modest profit to JH's kids. So, it will be a while before that avenue is considered.

Crow
/**/

it don't have to be modest,it have to be tetermined by the owner.

Files should be locked at manufacture,production release with agreement from the owner ,and manufacturer should report quantity of produced boards each time to the owner,only this way the owner can properly monitor production VS Sales VS funds that coming in.
jfloftin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Living VCO pcb wanted Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does anyone have an existing Living VCO board they would sell? I missed the opportunity to buy one one posted on 1/21/12. This is a bump so to speak of a previous post. I am not discussing any manufacturing of new ones, just wanting one if someone would be willing to sell.
Harry_W

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When we cleared the apartment where Jurgen had been living, we collected all PCBs that were left over, and I took them to my home (his wife Birgit wouldn't have that much room to take all these goodies to herself).

I will have to make an inventory of all boards (it's several hundreds) and see what is left for Living VCO, Trapezoid VCA and so on.

But selling the boards will be postponed until all legal issues are cleared (and until somebody is found who takes responsibility for ordering, packing, payment etc.).

I agree that it is by no means a good way to clone the boards and to sell them by oneself - it was Jurgen's work to develop the circuits and also the design of the board, and selling the boards was one way of him to regain - in financial terms - some of the enormous time he had invested in the development. If it is not necessarily an infringement in copyright laws, it shows at least disrespect to the work of Jurgen to do so. The 27 EUR Jurgen asked for a PCB was a very moderate price, but at least the proceeds went all back to him (you know that the actual price for a batch produced PCB is much less).

I do not want to imply bad intentions to anyone who intends such "quick shots", but I would ask him out of respect to Jurgen to keep his fingers off...

We have a proverb here in Germany: "When the cat has left the house, the mice are dancing on the table"...

Harry
jfloftin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Living VCO pcb Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Harry,

This sounds like the proper way to procede forward. Please keep me in mind for a Living VCO pcb.

Thanks,
James
Harry_W

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Living VCO pcb Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jfloftin wrote:
Please keep me in mind for a Living VCO pcb.

Hello James,

only one? Wink Just kidding...

I'll put you on the list, if there are any left...
I plan to make an inventory this weekend.

Regards,
Harry
Revok

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Harry,

If the pcb's are ever available, I'd love to pick up a couple.
So sorry for your loss Sad

-Michael
Harry_W

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello Michael,

thank you. I put you on my list Wink

Best regards,
Harry
LektroiD

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Living VCO pcb Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Harry_W wrote:
jfloftin wrote:
Please keep me in mind for a Living VCO pcb.

Hello James,

only one? Wink Just kidding...

I'll put you on the list, if there are any left...
I plan to make an inventory this weekend.

Regards,
Harry

Hi Harry. Will you post the inventory in this thread, or make a new one? There's a few JH boards I'd like too.

Many thanks for doing this thumright
Harry_W

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Living VCO pcb Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LektroiD wrote:
[Hi Harry. Will you post the inventory in this thread, or make a new one? There's a few JH boards I'd like too.

I only managed to take inventory of about half of Jurgen's PCBs last weekend. So far there are PCBs left for the following projects:

- JH String Filter (just a few)
- JH Varislope Filter/Phaser
- JH Scanner
- JH Twenty Pole Phaser (Tau Phaser)
- JH Trapezoid VCA
- JH Living VCOs
- JH SOST Flanger
- JH Krautrock Phaser
- Subtle Chorus Main Board / BBD Board
- JH Triple Chorus
- JH Moog Filterbank

More types of PCBs seem to be hidden in the remaining boxes I keep (e.g. I saw some Frequency Shifters). I want to complete the inventory next weekend. So please be patients for a complete list, and then we have to wait for the family's (i.e. lawyers') grant to resume and to re-organise the selling again...

Best regards,
Harry
cj3000

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello Harry,

thanks for doing this not so fun work.
Could you put me on the list for a few pcbs, that would be cool.
(JH Scanner, JH SOST Flanger, JH Varislope Filter/Phaser, JH Living VCOs, JH Krautrock Phaser).

And i would love to see that these wonderfull designs won´t be lost and will be manufactured again. Mein Beileid for your lost friend.

thanks
christoph
Harry_W

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello Christoph,

thank you for your condolences. (I better continue writing in English here, so people can follow the thread...)

It's indeed a bit strange to deal with all the things which had been a part of the life of a friend. It's like "It shouldn't belong here, it's somebody else's stuff. What the heck am I doing here?"

A couple of friends of us died in the last years, but they had mostly been aged and sometimes been terminally ill. You somehow could expect them to die sooner or later, and they had some time to get prepared. Not so with Jurgen. He was "cut out of life", like a filmstrip that is suddenly torn. His passing left so many open questions to us.

The only comfort for me is that - for the last years of his life - all this electronic stuff wasn't all that important to him anymore. He had started (and nearly finished) selling out all components, modules and instruments he had, and changed his life's priorities. It seems he could easily say "good-bye" to all those things, for the sake of having more time for people he wanted to tell about his belief and convictions. The only business he wanted to continue for the wellfare of his "fans" was the PCB production. I guess he wouldn't have liked to continue or finish all open projekts himself, nor would he have started a new one. The evolution of the "living vocoder" is a good example for these changed priorities of Jurgen.

As for your requests, I put it on the list. The complete inventory will be published soon, so everybody can estimate by himself if there is a chance of getting "his" PCBs as soon as selling is resumed.

Bis demnächst,
Harry
cj3000

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello Harry,

Thanks for doing all this. If you need help just send me a pm. Dont know if i can help though but I would love to help out.
As everyone here, I had a special relation to Jürgen. We never met nor did we had a lot of conversation (my skills are simply too low), but Jürgen was always there. And after 5 years when I took a break from sdiy It was his website I visited first when starting again. And it was a pleasure to follow his enthusiasm and perfection with things. I always said to me: later when I have more time I will build this and this and this....

Last year two very important people from my girlfriend died. Here father and here best friend who made suicide. It's impossible to understand all this but it's even harder when people get cut out off live. Since then she wants children..What I feel and think is one of the best ways to deal with death.

Christoph

sometimes live plays some tricks with you.
funtykigs

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Interested in boards also
Bigbang

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello Harry,

I have just read about Jürgen. My sincere condolences. I'm a Christian and I'm happy to know that [in short]: "he changed his life's priorities for the sake of having more time for people he wanted to tell about his belief and convictions". It is clear to me that he met Jezus!

I would like to buy the SOST flanger en Tau phaser pcb's, whenever you are ready, so that Jürgen's great work lives on in my modular system.

Regards,
Berry
LektroiD

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Harry, many thanks for doing this. When the boards become available, I would be most grateful if you could put aside a Triple Chorus for me, and if any frequency shifters come to light, one of those also.

Best wishes to the Haible family & friends.
hegeldas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One for me if it's possible, paypal proceed as soon as it s possible, many thanks
Paradigm X

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi

I also would wish to be placed on any list for potential sales of PCBs. I have nothign specific in mind but would love the opportunity to buy anything.

For about 2 weeks before the terrible news I was looking though all the projects trying to decide which ones to buy.

Many thanks

Ben
Harry_W

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Ben,

ok, so you will have to take what's left over Shocked (just kidding...)

I am quite sure if selling starts again (you will be informed) there will be enough PCBs of any kind to choose from...

Best regards,
Harry
Page 1 of 2 [42 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Wanted, For Sale, Opportunities and Requests » Parts and Components
Jump to: