electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » iOS - iPad/Phone/Pod etc
Why not, Apple?
Page 2 of 7 [166 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
Blue Hell wrote:

Now there is an idea ... to hell with updates too!

I'll die before learning how to get everything I can from the gear I already have. That could not prevent some severe case of Gear Acquisition Syndrome in the future but reasonably speaking, who needs updates?
Wink

A very valid point, and one I am getting more and more used to. Cool

robsol
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I guess there are two schools of thought here. I am not dismissing anyone's opinions, but I think that the setup I have allows me to sit back and not really needing anything. I feel lucky. Smile

Of course, I still have wants, but I am in no rush to try to cater for them.

I suppose I could get an iPad number 1 once number 3 is released and everybody is chucking the first, really shitty one, in the rubbish. Wink

Or, I could wait for the competition to catch up. Shocked

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ive got an extremely good (but old) Intel Macbook Pro and a fairly new MacMini (this computer I'm typing on).

Should I sell both and upgrade to a better laptop (MBA!)

I could just sell the Mini and keep the MBP, which is still excellent- but the old battery is fucked, the new batt lasts 1 and a half hours, and it weighs a tonne! (well by modern day standards!)

There. That word again...."upgrade" (update).

Should I? Or give me your reasons why not. Idea Very Happy
robsol
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes you should! Very Happy
robsol
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Right?
robsol
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Erm... are you being serious?

If you are, then you should not upgrade if your situation is similar to mine, ie you are happy with your setup.

I have nothing against you upgrading or even getting the best that you can possibly get for your money!

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yup.. consume! Laughing Buy new stuff even though you are happy with what you already have. If you are not spending your money then we know you are antisocial and hostile.
The state of the global economy demands that you act now!!

Or even better.. buy yet another device..this time an iPad. Then you will have to upgrade 3 vital devices.. and not only two..

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
robsol
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, why not? Razz
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have the MBP I am using now (15'' 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM with OS 10.6.8 ). It's already 4 years old but perfectly functioning except for the internal CD/DVD burner that was already replaced once and that does not work again. I have an external firewire DVD burner that I use if/when I need to install something from DVD. I rarely use it and if I want to listen to CDs I have a CD player. I would like to find a newer laptop or a Mac Pro possibly second hand so I too look for updates because using mostly soft synths I would like to have more than 4 GB of RAM.
But Rolling Eyes I have to say that the new bunch of Macs have less features than the older ones, for example less USB and/or FW ports (mine has 2 USB, 1 FW800 and 1 FW400 ports plus an express card 34 slot that I use for 2 additional FW800 ports). Am I a grumpy old fogey Question

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've had my iPad 2 for a number of months now. It's the first apple product I have purchased since - my old Apple IIe YEARS ago. I didn't really care for their closed systems. And I still don't. They do make a nice computer though. WRT my iPad - in general I like it but there are some things that Apple does that I just don't get. Safari for one - why the hell can't it load Flash? Adobe says Apple 'ain't gonna do it' and that keeps it from happening. I could see if it was some really old tech that was on it's way out. But it's mature tech that many corporations and individuals use on their websites. h264 is fine - but it's not for everybody right now. It's great to be able to support the latest and greatest trend - but is it going to be around in 5 or 6 years? Look what's happened to Firewire. Apple pushed this till everyone got tired of paying Apple their license fee for it and now it's getting next to impossible to find it on computers, other then a few Macs....

And why not have the ability to network print from an iPad to your tried and true HP Laserprinter instead of having to get an Airport thingy? Stupid moves on their part...which is ironic considering how cutting edge their products are.

Their philosphy seems to be ' you are going to upgrade when we tell you to' and that kind of attitude is what keeps me from buying into Apple. Talk about not being very eco-friendly...

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DES wrote:
Safari for one - why the hell can't it load Flash? Adobe says Apple 'ain't gonna do it' and that keeps it from happening.

Flash is very CPU intensive, as well as memory hungry. It will work on ARM, but it will kill your device very quickly. Adobe have therefore decided not to support it (you don't really need it anyway do you?)

arrow http://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2011/11/flash-focus.html
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DES wrote:

And why not have the ability to network print from an iPad to your tried and true HP Laserprinter instead of having to get an Airport thingy? Stupid moves on their part...which is ironic considering how cutting edge their products are.

Another myth that needs to be dispelled! Laughing I don't have an 'Airport'. I have a Brother printer and the iPad talks wirelessly to that. I've never had any problems with it. Very Happy
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think the very fast migration to HTML5 is a very enabling trend that makes a lot of sense. The adoption of Adobe Flash for all things that moves and farts was an absolutely nonsensical trend.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
DES

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
DES wrote:
Safari for one - why the hell can't it load Flash? Adobe says Apple 'ain't gonna do it' and that keeps it from happening.

Flash is very CPU intensive, as well as memory hungry. It will work on ARM, but it will kill your device very quickly. Adobe have therefore decided not to support it (you don't really need it anyway do you?)

arrow http://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2011/11/flash-focus.html

Actually there are a lot of business sites that still use Flash. Not implementing it in Safari is a mistake in my opinion. Expecting businesses to re-work their websites so that Safari users can see their info just because Apple does not want Flash in their browser is a bit close-minded. They want their products to be used in the business world yet expect it to conform to their idea of how it should be. When I found out about this problem I made adjustments to the site I was working on to compensate by using Javascript....but we were small enough that it wasn't a major financial issue to do so. Large businesses with large sites w/Flash wouldn't put the money into doing this...the return isn't there. Now I'm sure that as time moves along and more sites are getting rebuilt using HTML 5, and some one develops a way to make Javascript easier for the general web-building public you will see more compatbility. Frankly I'm just hoping another browser comes out for the iPad that supports Flash

As for CPU useage....my Android phone can use Flash and while display use does use power, it still is very useful and handy. And this shouldn't even be a consideration with any Mac computer. Adobe says Apple won't give them the info needed to integrate Flash into Safari....

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We are talking IOS here I hope?

And Flash is a plugin that works just fine in Safari on OS X as it always have.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
DES

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
DES wrote:

Another myth that needs to be dispelled! Laughing I don't have an 'Airport'. I have a Brother printer and the iPad talks wirelessly to that. I've never had any problems with it. Very Happy

I have an HP Color Laserjet 4650 that is connected to my network that I would love to use with the iPad. The only possible solution that I've found so far requires me to have another PC turned on with a program installed on it that the iPad talks to. Rolling Eyes One of the reasons I have the iPad is so I don't have to turn on one of my PCs. A small network appliance would be ok...might possibly have other features like being an access point. I wouldn't mind that...as long as it worked with ALL my wireless items. If there are any ideas out there about getting the iPad and printer talking I would love to hear about them. And no I am not replacing my printer... Wink

DES

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
We are talking IOS here I hope?

And Flash is a plugin that works just fine in Safari on OS X as it always have.

Well yes IOS. .... I was also under the impression that Safari in general didn't support Flash. This was told to me by some Mac users who contacted me about some issues on our website at the time. If their kitty cat OSs (leopard, tiger, bobcat, whatever Wink ) actually supports them then I was mistaken. Since I don't have a non-IOS Apple product I was going on feedback from users. But if that is the case, they should include it in the IOS version as well.

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There are great tools for creating extremely complex stuff in HTML5 without much knowledge about the code itself. Flash is in effect dead, but it will disappear slowly. BTW, the code generated by Adobe Digital Publishing Suite for the iPad is a mix of HTML5 and IOS code. Adobe is adopting HTML5 compliance pretty fast now.

BTW, Apple´s AirPrint concept is supported by third party apps that in effect works like a print server. I installed one of those on one of my servers and it supports all my printers.

This is not the one I use, but it seems ok:
http://ipadhelp.com/ipad-help/airprint-for-windows-and-ios-5-or-later/

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I never really found it problematic that IOS did not support Flash. I saw it as a possible game changer for HTML5 compliance. This opens the way for new ventures into embedded devices and the whole industry will benefit from this.
Apart from the fact that Flash still dominated the web for animations and such. Apple´s much disputed decision levelled the playing field for many manufacturers of both web enabled devices and content.

That being said, I´m not saying Flash was bad or evil way back, but it simply wasn´t a product that could live and thrive the way it did. The perceived need for all web devices to be Flash enabled, like TVs or what have you, was not good for neither consumers nor the industry.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
DES

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just downloaded Dreamweaver 5.5 to get a handle on it. I'm more of a hardware guy but need to update my website (as well as a few others) and figured it was time to put Frontpage 2000 to rest Razz . Though I do like editing html in it...very easy to do.

I think what will happen with Flash is that it will morph into something more compatible/up to date. I think Adobe has too much invested into it and it's integration into their other products.

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not according to Adobe..
Adobe is hard at work developing new tools that are HTML5 compliant.

They have already announced the replacement: Adobe Edge.
This is where they are going now.

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/edge

Flash will join the ranks of Director, Authorware, Framemaker and other products. They will keep Flash alive for at least one more generation of the CS bundle and then they will start neglecting it and then kill it.

Flash could be transformed into a better tool for Adobe AIR applications.. but I reckon they will follow tradition and kill off the Flash name instead of reinventing the Flash product line. Adobe is known for introducing new products instead of transforming existing brands.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
robsol
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Apropos updates...

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2011/12/apple-ii-gets-a-new-drum-machine-dms-drummer-now-with-video-tutorial-demo/

...and openness from Apple! Twisted Evil

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DES wrote:
And no I am not replacing my printer... Wink

Ah well then. You buy the most advanced touch tablet on the market then you expect it to work with some old pile of shite that you bought 15 years ago? Shocked Quit yer moanin! Wink Laughing

I threw away my HP printer because it was CRAP! Laughing

My new Brother printer is bloody amazing (prints to A3)- and it only cost £180. Idea

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
DES

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lol .... My HP has been rock solid stable, prints quite well thank you very much...and it's paid for...oh, and its not 15 years old. I think I've had it 7 or 8 years. I used Brother printers and they were ok for general home use but didn't stand up well in a business environment. Plus they were god-awful slow. You keep your Brother, I'll keep my HP.

Razz

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have only good things to say about the lower end HP BW ethernet laser printers. They are ugly, pretty basic and they last forever. Perfect products.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Page 2 of 7 [166 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » iOS - iPad/Phone/Pod etc
Jump to: