electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Sonic Maximizer Emulation. Need help.
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Moody33

G2 patch files: 16

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:23 am    Post subject: Sonic Maximizer Emulation. Need help. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello.

I'd try to build a sonic maximizer patch. It seems to work, but since my knowledge in DSP and since my english isn't very good ( see english links below), I'm not really sure If my design is fine. That's why I don't post it under the building block section, cause i'm sure it needs to be improved. That's why I hope you can help me to design such a patch. Moreover , I haven't got a sonic maximizer, so I don't really know how it sounds and if my patch sounds quite the same.
Here is the information I have about the maximizer.

http://www.bbesound.com/products/sonic-maximizers/882i.aspx
http://www.radio-flier.com/PDF%20Files/BBE%20482i.pdf
http://neolit123.blogspot.com/2009/05/bbe-sonic-maximizer-482i-circuit.html#hcon

Any improvements and ideas are appreciated because I can't go beyond that design.

Here is the patch Iv'e made.

Thanks.

SonicMaximizer-Moody.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  SonicMaximizer-Moody.pch2
 Filesize:  1.79 KB
 Downloaded:  3766 Time(s)

Moody33

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Question i have:
-Where to put the All pass filter?
-Lubomir, on his website talks about an high pass filter to remove frequency below 10 hz: where to put this filter?
-How to set the envelop follower to match the sonic maximizer design?
Roland Kuit

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 127

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This Delay module is an allpass filter. I gave it a constant to color it and the env follow mod. Also implemented a below 13.75 Hz block. I hope this will match your concept because I don't know the thing.

sonicmaximizer_moody 2.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  sonicmaximizer_moody 2.pch2
 Filesize:  2.21 KB
 Downloaded:  3934 Time(s)

Moody33

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sono-Logica wrote:
This Delay module is an allpass filter. I gave it a constant to color it and the env follow mod. Also implemented a below 13.75 Hz block. I hope this will match your concept because I don't know the thing.

Thanks you Roland, but I don't understand why you use a delay module since you can use a multi-filter as an all pass filter, and why you modulate it? Is the maximizer works like this? I'm not sure because it sounds like a phaser effect, and the maximizer is not a phaser ! Of course, feel free to experiment, and of course, if you don't know the thing... But my goal is to emulate the device.
I know that a delay module is an all pass filter. But , the multifilter BP swith to 6db is also an All pass filter. It give a 90° degree phase at the frequency set by the filter. I've measured it. So, if you send a sin in the filter, you have a cos at the output.
So the question is to know where is the all pass filter in the maximizer design, and I'm not sure that it is mixed with the other filter because I think the all pass filter should clarify the sound by cancelling the phase problem without acting like an effect.
I aslo think that the DC offset is to set after the crossover filters and not before to remove the bass boost ( lo-contour) for sub-bass frequency.
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: