electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » iOS - iPad/Phone/Pod etc
Tabletop for iPad on sale
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
GovernorSilver

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Tabletop for iPad on sale
Subject description: 99 cents for US customers
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's also been updated:

Some old stuff on VIRB
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I bought this the ast time it was on sale. Fun app to work with. Considering purchasing the new 'plug ins' for it. A little bummed that they're not giving those a better release price for current owners.
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DES wrote:
I bought this the ast time it was on sale. Fun app to work with. Considering purchasing the new 'plug ins' for it. A little bummed that they're not giving those a better release price for current owners.

When I actually do get an iPad, I look forward to giving it a workout and comparing it with NanoStudio, and seeing which one has the better workflow for me. I doubt I'm going to have the time to become a power user on both, so I hope to ascertain early on in the game which is best for what I want to do.

Some old stuff on VIRB
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd forgotten that the Korg Monotribe and other Mono-things can be synced with WIST-compatible iOS apps. Tabletop is on that list. Nanostudio is not. Hmm...

Some old stuff on VIRB
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think you'll find that Nanostudio has the better workflow. Well those are my findings. I love the way for example that you're not limited to a pattern's length for eg. With tabletop, from what I remember, there is a limit of the amount of bars you could have- making it more of a toy imo.
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
jwalton

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello! I'm a developer on Tabletop. Thought I'd weigh in:

Quote:
I doubt I'm going to have the time to become a power user on both, so I hope to ascertain early on in the game which is best for what I want to do

There are many great music apps on iPad. I'd encourage you to check them all out! See what Moog, Korg, Native Instruments, etc are up to! Our philosophy in general is that there is plenty of room for many different music-creation apps. This isn't like the old DAW model where you had to pick one because you were investing hundreds of dollars into a platform. This is also why we like supporting protocols that encourage inter-app compatibility (like WIST and AudioCopy)...

Quote:
With tabletop, from what I remember, there is a limit of the amount of bars you could have

The limit might be bigger than you remember - The current "controller" device has 56 loops (or song segments). Each can be 32 bars long, giving you an upper limit of 1,792 bars...

Later!

John-Paul
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jwalton wrote:
Each can be 32 bars long

Hi JP welcome to electro-music.com Very Happy

"Each" and at 32 bars long.

That's my problem with Tabletop.

It's like a lot of apps on the iPad. Many are aimed to fill a gap in a specific market. A proper audio tool would never do this, as it could also be used in a different way to what it was mainly intended for. If you see what I mean?

In a nutshell, developers should stop approaching users/purchasers as to fill a certain genre or whatever. Like the 'turntable' app for eg in Tabletop. It's not really much more than a gimmick. It should mimic a turntable in every conceivable way, and not just to achieve a scratch(y) effect. You should be able to pick up the arm and actually pull it across the 'record' to produce that 'rip' sound that you get when you drag a needle across the vinyl. But it doesn't. And why stop there? Therefore is not really much more than simply a 'toy'.

And yes, "This isn't like the old DAW model where you had to pick one because you were investing hundreds of dollars into a platform", and no, because most apps so far, apart from a tiny and very few amount, simply don't achieve this yet. People invest hundreds on a platform for one very good reason, it gets the job done. Don't get me wrong, the iPad is a great device if used as an instrument in it's own right, but as soon as things become more sophisticated and try to work beyond the scope of the hardware, then things start to fall apart. Blip interactive have more or less got a better idea of the scope and limitations of the hardware. There's no gimmicks with Nanostudio. It's obviously a tool.

Tabletop is a nice idea, but it's trying too hard, and to make it look intuitive, it's obviously been designed to make front panels look familiar and accessible, and that's where it falls down.

The best sequencer in the world imo was the Akai MPC3000, because it was so simple. The OS was also rock solid. Tabletop stutters and coughs on my iPad v1. I imagine that this is because of the amount of openGL stuff going on to make it all look nice. The OS should not get in the way of workflow.

sorry to be so blunt, but there you go.

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » iOS - iPad/Phone/Pod etc
Jump to: