electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
4046 Pitch Tracker - Turn clicks into lasers
Page 3 of 3 [58 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
Draal

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dogenigt wrote:

I am integrating the 4046 module into a larger lunetta synth - so only square waves will come in, do you think the 4049/4069 will add something to the sound even though the signal is squared in the first place anyways?

of course I could just test this out myself, I might anyhow but I don't see how you could "square up" a signal which is already squared... Very Happy

I've built my first tracker just like it is in the Nic Collins book; with the 4049 as preamp. Realistically, it's not essential in our lunetta since most of the stuff we will push through the 4046 will already be square/square-ish. My more recent tracker builds don't use the 4049 and work just as well as my first one.

That said, I have heard slight variation in sound when I sweep the 4049 gain pot. Adds a bit of hair to the sound but not a must build Wink .

With the 4049 and say a 1/4 jack wired to accept input from a guitar, mic, etc., the addition of non square signals can be accomplished. (I need to diagram that sentence).

Dogenigt

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[quote="Draal"]
Dogenigt wrote:

With the 4049 and say a 1/4 jack wired to accept input from a guitar, mic, etc., the addition of non square signals can be accomplished. (I need to diagram that sentence).

Yeah, I've got my own copy of Handmade Electronic Music Wink
It's a brilliant idea though and included in my future build no doubt!

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler. - Albert Einstein
Dogenigt

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am having a little headache about something here.

I want to have diodes on my 40106 pulse outputs for mixing but when I connect this output through the diode to the input of the 4046 it doesn't work. It's like there's no input.

I could mix with resistors but then the voltage drops from my reference HIGH doesn't it? (9V in my case)

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler. - Albert Einstein
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Try a 100K resistor to GROUND after the diode. See if that works.
Draal

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have mixed signals with a resistor ladder or r/2r and ran them through the pitch tracker without issues (all I care is that I get something at a reasonable volume level ultimately) Smile .

I don't think I've used diodes to mix my signals into the tracker in the past so I'm also curious about this. I did have a 3 input Nand array made of diodes and a transistor. I plugged in 3 oscillators and ran the output of the diode Nand "module" into the pitch tracker and got output. Just another idea to try Smile . Of course, I expect a simpler solution from one of the luantics here Wink .

I got the idea from http://www.play-hookey.com/digital_electronics/dtl_gates.html when I was short of CMOS NAND chips.

This schematic specifically:

Screen Shot 2013-05-22 at 8.19.42 AM.png
 Description:
Maybe worth a try. Helps prevent a bit of bleed-through.
 Filesize:  9.49 KB
 Viewed:  9663 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2013-05-22 at 8.19.42 AM.png

Dogenigt

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks guys! I solved this buy running the "dioded" signal through a schmitt trigger (40106) Smile

izash

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:19 am    Post subject: CD4046 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Output 1 sounds amazing. Output 2 sounds great too but seems to respond to the negative edge of the pulse. great delay effect!

Here I am 4 years later. Thank you guys for some amazing ideas.

synthesist wrote:
hey

did anyone try to listen to the output of pin1 and pin2 on the cd4046?
Cause I made some similar circuits like the pitchtracker and if you are lucky you get to here this weird bitcrushing-like sound on these outputs.
Draal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: CD4046 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

izash wrote:
Output 1 sounds amazing. Output 2 sounds great too but seems to respond to the negative edge of the pulse. great delay effect!

Here I am 4 years later. Thank you guys for some amazing ideas.

synthesist wrote:
hey

did anyone try to listen to the output of pin1 and pin2 on the cd4046?
Cause I made some similar circuits like the pitchtracker and if you are lucky you get to here this weird bitcrushing-like sound on these outputs.

thumright Still one of my favorite chips to work with. Now, back to my crypt...

Page 3 of 3 [58 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: