electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Musical Interfaces
Keyboard for DIY synth?
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
TreDiggy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject:  Keyboard for DIY synth?
Subject description: What keyboard should I look to salvage for a DIY synth I plan to build?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm very new to synth building and I was wondering what kind of keyboard should I look to salvage for an analog synth I was planning to build? Would a cheap Yamaha keyboard work or should I look for a organ? If you have any links to videos that would be great. Evil or Very Mad
efabric

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can check for the yamaha YK-10/20 keyboard for cx5m fm synth computer. It contains resistor ladder instead of diode matrix. Easyer to modify.
Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 82

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh really? I got one of this sitting here that I have been waiting to open and modify when I start my modular synth. Thanks for the info!
efabric

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm sure I've seen a lot of identical resistors... but I don't have this keyboard anymore. It may have a diode / resistor mix inside the keyboard (for note polyphony and mono velocity ? ) can you check inside ?
Cynosure
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just diodes.

If anyone has any experience or advice for turning something like this into a CV controller then please let me know if there is a write up, video or thread floating around somewhere. I don't plan on getting to it anytime soon, but it would be nice to have some notes from someone who did it for when I do get around to doing it.

agreyspark

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is it still possible to buy bare keyboards for DIY?

I know you could get them back in the 80s where there were plenty of projects in electronics magazines, but I can't find a supplier these days
Cynosure
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.fatar.com/
richardc64

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Written against my better judgment...

All matrix KBs will have a diode for each switch. Clip out the diodes or *cut the ends that connect to each switch, bend the diodes up, and solder the resistors of your "string" to the stubs. Wire all the groups of switches together and that becomes the single buss.

There are at least two variations of where the diodes are located in relation to the switches;Attached I show both. The method of alteration will be the same. The "groups" might be of eight keys, 12(+1) for octaves, or six(+1) for half-octaves. Yamaha and Casio are (in)famous for devising odd-ball groupings. Fatar's 2-switch per key (make and break,) KBs will be a little more trouble. Clipping/cutting should be done at the "make" switches.

Good luck dealing with any switch resistance.

By no means is all this intended to be an endorsement of finicky, resistor string voltage divider and droopy sample & hold single-buss designs.

*This way, the diodes can someday, when you've realized the error of your ways, be soldered back for a scanning design - which, btw, doesn't have to be interfaced with a microcontroller.
http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/analogsynth_new/OLDIESBUTGOODIES/CONTROLLERS/scanningmatrixkeyboard2.html

I don't understand why Ray has made this design harder to find.

korg_kb.gif
 Description:
Diodes will be reversed in KBs in which a pressed key causes a logic 0.
 Filesize:  49.62 KB
 Viewed:  1000 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

korg_kb.gif

6trak_kb.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  27.16 KB
 Viewed:  763 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

6trak_kb.gif

agreyspark

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cynosure wrote:
http://www.fatar.com/

thanks,

I followed a few links and came to a supplier in the UK:

http://www.keyparts.co.uk/shop
Dragon's Lair

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I happen to like my finicky, resistor string voltage divider and droopy sample & hold single-buss keyboards, of which none are finicky or have droopy sample and holds, once they are tuned and scaled, they stay that way.
Actually, most cv keyboards are dual buss, one for CV and one for the Gate, (my ribbon controller design is a single buss, and it works fine) which is why these cheap Fatar keyboards are perfect for conversion.
Rolbista

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: cv/gate Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hello, I figured I'd ask in this thread instead of making new one. I'd like to add primitive CV/gate output to my little Casio keyboard for controlling the filter and gating the ADSR module. Do you have any tips on how to add switches activating CV and Gate to an existing keyboard? Microswitch on each key? The circuit would be separate from the Casio, only the keys would be common.
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Musical Interfaces
Jump to: