electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
Power supply isolation?
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
blackdiscoball

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Power supply isolation? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, new here. I've searched around here before but decided to finally post today. I've been building up a modular type synth of mostly cheap simple little circuits, 555 lfo timers, 4017 sequencers, Atari punk consoles, stuff like that. It is coming along pretty good but I've been finding that if I try to run them all off the same power supply (a wall wart run in parallel) they seem to have weird ground issue's? For instance, if I have a sequencer multed out to two apc they wont work right. Ive also noticed if I turn one of there powers on while they are hooked up they both turn on. I've found that pretty much all of these circuits do weird things if I run them off the same power supply where as if I run them off batteries they work fine. I've tried various different things with diodes and also some transformers I have laying around but nothing seems to effect it? Im assuming I need to isolate one circuit from another but I can't seem to figure out how? Any ideas?
umschmitt

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Power supply isolation? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

blackdiscoball wrote:
Ive also noticed if I turn one of there powers on while they are hooked up they both turn on.

What ? Your… your machine is… alive !!!

More seriously, hello and welcome. These are weird symptoms indeed ! Could you elaborate about your switching device ? It's a bit scary ! (in case the switch is the classical «stompbox jack in» type, and another jack is inserted in said module, it just normal, the jack's shield/ground makes connection)
For the rest, how good are the PSUs you tried ? Are they regulated ? Are they powerful enough ? Did you measure the current draw of your modular ? From what you describe, your synth is likely not that greedy, though. Can you try to run, say your seq + 2 APCs from one battery and see how they behave ? Can you run your setup on batteries and switch modules one after the other to the Wallwart PSU (with great care of course) to try to determine if there's a faulty module / combination / whatever intriguing fact ? And what makes you think it's a ground issue ? (for what it's worth, your ground wires and tracks should the thick and broad, without «weak points» along the way nor redundant connections)
Sorry if you already tried/checked all this, I don't have your synth in front of me, so I'm just guessing…
Besides, I wouldn't mind to see or hear more of your cheaposynth !

blackdiscoball

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for the reply. I will try some of those suggestions after I get off work later. I will also post some pictures of the front and the back. The switch's are just spst toggle switches, each module has its own. I haven't checked the current draw but I can't imagine these circuits use much at all. The two apc's are synthrotek.com kits. I have two different sequencers and the mults I just wired up myself. I will try using one battery to run all of them and see how that works. I guess I don't have much reason to think its a grounding issue except I do?
blackdiscoball

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, a little more testing leads me to think it might be easier if people could throw out some ideas as to how they are powering multiple circuits like this? Its so funky how things dont want to work together?
DATMC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:45 am    Post subject: power supply
Subject description: connecting more keyboard to one adapter
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes, i have encountered the same problem, as my live setup uses 8 keyboards and boss effect pedals, connected to a 8 track mixer.

i used a 1700m ampere 9v adapter. when i hook up some of my instruments it is fine. but some combinations gives a hiss that resembles the sound of a howling dog (high frequency).

some keyboards seem not to be able to run parallel without increasing the hiss. especially yamaha (PSS series, 100, 570). sometimes these even lose power while connecting the other keyboard.

as far as i experienced, the problem starts with connecting jacks to the output channel. a friend of mine who is more a technician than i am, says it is indeed a ground problem because the jacks connect the ground to the mixer and there is "too little ground" to connect more keyboards. hope i express it right, i am not an expert in electricity circuits... just some ideas
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
Jump to: