electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Sequencers
Advice and help for PC Sequencer needed
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
steampump

G2 patch files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Advice and help for PC Sequencer needed Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

First i hope this is the best place for my question.
Since i have installed XP I'm in big trouble. All my old sequencers seem to be obsolet.
I have now bought Cubase but i'm not really happy with for synthesizer and drum control.
My first good sequence was cakewalk under DOS, and then i found Cakewalk apprentice for windows and it worked fine until W98se release.
But XP is no more supporting midi map where i could mix intenal and diffrent exernal midi device. I have not found any tricks yet for a maybe midi map replacement. (or there one?)
So if i want a new midi sequencer i need your advice.
In my old cakewalk i could make different a loop for each track and actived or mute just with simply with keyboard. I could also select all different device for each track. No audio is needed.
I have also used Sonar Start under W98se (do not work under XP and i have lost the installe procedure delivered with the german Keys Magazin Klemm does no more colaborate with Cakewalk Sad ) but do not remeber if diffrent loops are usable for diffrerent tracks. So my question is there an easy midi XP sequencer who can do this job and have frienly handling ?
What are you using with your synths under XP , live on stage ?

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cubase is not bad at all. Are you sure you have invested enough time learning that application?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
steampump

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I do not say cubase is bad, but i'm missig the loop option of the old cackewalk programms.
I could make a bassdrum track of 3 bars , a snare track of 10 bars and toms of 5 bars and mix them together. Then repeat each track for a certain times. An other thing i miss is the midi offset to create midi effects. (In realltime).
Last but not list, in Cubase there is a very bad midi sync when you use same midi notes with same chanel on diffrent tracks. It sounds garbage.... but not in Cakewalk.

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ableton Live4 meets all of those criteria. Very easy to use and well laid out, very stable too.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm, yup... Kassen is right. Live is THE app for you! Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Dichotomy

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: FL Studio 5 Producer Edition Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If your on XP, and are willing to spend about $150, I would buy a version of FL Studio.

There is no limits, and the new one almost is Fruity Loops meets Logic, however Logic has a certain sound.

You can make loops with any amout of bars you wish.

Feel free to ask any questions.

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 125
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don't buy anything until you try Tracktion. It's now free. I have looked at it. It has a pretty cool user interface and seems quite solid on XP. Be sure to read this topic:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-4290.html

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I guess the app is "almost" free... but yes.. it is very promising.. Live is expensive.. and I guess you have to be familiar with it it before you understand you really need it. Personally I think Live is magnificent, but I haven´t yet seen any use for it. i am quite pleased with Cubase 5.2. I am simply using it as a "better" reel to reel" multitracker. Tracktion is interesting because it allows you to use basically one window no matter what you do.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
steampump

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is there no midi only sequencer any more for XP ?
egw

G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Steam, it sounds like what you want to do is exclusively midi stuff, not audio.
Do you want to do midi recording too, or just pattern manipulation?
Applications like Cubase, Live, Sonar are probably overkill.
I'm sure there are lots of midi oriented programs, maybe they are older but I guess that some of them will run in XP. Most people these days seem to be manipulating audio, not midi. I can't help you much with this one, since I use hardware sequencers for these functions.
steampump

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Your right Greg but only midi programm seems overflooded by all in one products today.

Easy access to command seem not have priority in the new programs,
but Ableton Live and Tracktion may be an alternativ. I just used the Live demo.
Or is there a new hardware sequencer with good computer exchange ?

Its a pitty that Cakewalk has left the philosophie of there first product, when they use midi loop support and very clear overview of what should be used first. I could just use the keyboard to navigate through a stylesheet like surface, and change parameters with 1 or 2 keystrokes. But now cakewalk and cubase have no big differences and are no more made for midi live performance.

Maybe some one knows how making working the cakewalk apprentice with XP. It works only with the internal midimap (who cannot be modified ) the other midi devices do not appair in midi in and out liste. This Cakewalk is a 16bit release , maybe i have to add something in win.ini or system.ini to make the device visible but what ?

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Steam. If you are only interested in MIDI, the look carefully at Keykit. It's very powerful. If you are a programmer, then this is THE program to use.

See... http://nosuch.com/tjt/software.html

The author, Tim Thompson, is a member here, TJT.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
steampump

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hy Mosc, thanks. Sometime Chrismas is comming twice a Year.
I have just downloaded Keyit with all doc . And ..... it works ...... Whoawww.....
Probably the nicest toy after my G2 Engine.... I will probably spend less time programming Pinball Tables Smile)
Ok.this programm is not no made for window addicted.
But for experimental music it is a amazing tool. Programmer faculties are needed.

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great, Steam. Glad you like it. Be sure to join the keykit mailing list. You'll find support for keykit there is just as good as support for the NMs is here.

Please let us know what you come up with.

Rinxai

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you're still checking out sequencers, you may find Zynewave Podium ($90) an interesting option. It is professional, unique, highly flexible and stable. Altho released in 2004, has been in development since 1990.

After trying many sequencers out there I'm real happy to finally find a DAW where work flow is swift, smooth and robust.

http://www.zynewave.com
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Sequencers
Jump to: