electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Harmonia beats drumbox
Page 2 of 2 [47 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
drumcodeuk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Hadouken! didn't sound right.. too digital and clean.. I ran it through my EHX Hot Tubes and it sounded ok though.. It was a joke.
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What the hell has iOs got to do with Nord Drum? Confused
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Hadouken!, an English new rave band formed in 2006

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadouken

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
What the hell has iOs got to do with Nord Drum? Confused

Alesis, not iOS. Smile

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
drumcodeuk wrote:

StreetFighter 2 is rubbish on the Iphone - I played that. I don't think any more need's mentioning if you can't get the basic's right.

What the hell has Streetfighter 2 got to do with drum machine apps? Confused

Nothing.. apart from the fact that the real estate on the iPhone is rather small. The control surface is simply too small for certain apps. Some apps make sense on that screen and others are better off on the iPad.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh yes I agree.

But some apps, the ones that are done by those who 'care' have specifically reengineered their interfaces so that they're just as easy (well- maybe not 'just as'), to work on both units.

And my reference to the Alesis over the Clavia, sure people will prefer to buy the Clavia, but making an interface like the Nord Drum, but fits an iPad is a very clever move on Alesis' behalf.

I think Clavia would have been a lot more successful in their approach if they had released a Micromodular version of the G2, with knobs and switches like the G2, but in a tiny box like the Nord Drum, and with the ability to hook up with a computer, to 'get under the bonnet' so to speak.

abstraktor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
abstraktor wrote:
poor guy -all he wanted was a simple preset drum machine to get a retro sound and he gets offered Apple gadgets and Reaktor as a solution? Crying or Very sad

There's a BIG DIFFERENCE between Reaktor and and 'Apple gadget'!

It's time to get over this myth that retro is better. It's not. I take it you don't own an Apple gadget?

Tom, I have reason to believe that you are actually an an Apple 'Droid running on OS X Lion (or maybe IOS 5.7) and I defy you to deny it! Laughing

Seriously though, I never implied that retro was better...and I do know that Reaktor is a different beast from Ipad apps! For the record I do own both a Touch (hardly used) and a Macbook (overused) as well as teach on a plethora of Macs every day, so I'm not an Apple hater....and Logic Pro is my preferred DAW. There are things I love about Macs, but I don't see them as being the be all and end all of creative production. Wink
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Embarassed I posted far to early in the morning, and before my daily fix of cigarettes and coffee- I could have written anything! Laughing Laughing

No offense! Very Happy

And yes- I am a clone running on 10......er 6.8 still- Oh dear, does that make ME an Apple hater??? Shocked Shocked Shocked Wink

gustavojobim

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
It's time to get over this myth that retro is better. It's not. I take it you don't own an Apple gadget?

actually, fundamentally what I need is a nice and fairly easy tool to lay down basic tracks for further synth layers. I'm kind of "musically hyperactive" (who here isn't?): since I was a kid, I've been pretty much ALL the time humming and making rhythms with my mouth. then I discovered that electronic acts, particularly Tangerine Dream, had been doing exactly the kind of music I imagined, which is the beginning of the story that leads me to this very moment. but after 10 years researching sounds and recording music I still don't have a rhythm tool that will work for me, considering my possibilities and limitations. so I remain humming and sort of beatboxing, without a tool that will help me reach the full potential of my musical vision as easily and quickly as doing the humming itself.

since I'm fan of the German pioneers such as K/Cluster and its family tree, and after doing a lot of recordings heavily influenced by the Berlin school (with drones and arpeggio-based sequences), I think imitating Cluster's beats is a good starting point for what I really want to achieve.

I began this with the album I made with the TS-404, "trapped in a day job" - it's here: www.gustavojobim.com/en/mus_tra.php . it relies heavily on rhythm and repetition, because the TS-404 is made for creating simple loops and basslines. basically I made the entire album by letting the TS-404 repeat the loops continuously and improvising with its knobs and step sequencers.

so I would say retro isn't necessarily worse or better; it's just another possible path. right now we're on a moment where everything is possible in music, and so what would be the next Thing? this is another thing I want to discover. it feels like all music is still a consequence of the 1970s.

and no, I don't own an apple gadget, they're absurdly expensive in Brazil. I'd rather buy gold bars... the ipod touch is a possibility though.

Last edited by gustavojobim on Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:26 am; edited 1 time in total
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice! Very Happy

(I'm a massive Cluster/Harmonia fan too!)

abstraktor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Embarassed I posted far to early in the morning, and before my daily fix of cigarettes and coffee- I could have written anything! Laughing Laughing

No offense! Very Happy

And yes- I am a clone running on 10......er 6.8 still- Oh dear, does that make ME an Apple hater??? Shocked Shocked Shocked Wink

no offence taken.
now where are these pressure sensitive IPads?
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah now that's interesting, because Garageband includes pressure sensitivity via the accelerometer, and it actually works!
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The old devices like the Elka Drummer One have an unique sound. There are several factors involved. They are however not very advanced.

I recently started to use the TR707 again and have had great fun with it. The cool thing with these is that there are so many individual outputs so I can use the device for triggering sounds from the modular synth.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know. I've got several old drum boxes.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
I know. I've got several old drum boxes.

Right answer.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
gustavojobim

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok!

yesterday I became a proud owner of an electribe EMX-1. luckily, it was a hardly ever used one. I paid about 40% of the Brazilian price of a new one - but that's about the price of a new one outside Brazil...

well, let's see what I can cook up with the thing!

coincidentally, I've just received a batch of wonderful Roedelius reissues by the Bureau B label: selbstportrait II; wenn der sudwind weht; durch die wuste; lustwandel; jardin au fou; and also cluster/zuckerzeit.

so, case closed! Wink
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Grats! Brilliant!

But is stuff like that really that expensive in Brazil?? Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
gustavojobim

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sadly, yes. brazilian taxes are prohibitive and devour the common man's acquisitive power. here's some numbers:

brand new EMX in a local store = 1380 USD
EMX-1 that I bought, owned for about 1 year by the original owner = 573 USD
old used electribe ER-1 (yes the first model) being sold at a local store = 517 USD
for comparison, minimum monthly salary in my city = 350 USD
(good for nothing, as it is also taxed)
package I just got from amazon.co.uk with 6 CDs by cluster/roedelius = 101 USD
customs import tax charged for this package = SIXTY percent (including shipping) = about 60 USD (they never charged me this for amazon packages before... such a letdown)
average price I paid for each album = 26 USD
If I had imported these albums from a local store instead of directly from amazon, how much would I have paid for them in average = 40 USD
a brand new korg monotron in a local store (which is an item that should be toy-cheap right?): 143 USD

so this is why underground electronic musicians here have to be at least high middle class if they want to get new and modern equipment. the alternative is to be creative, trying hard to find the best deals on used and old equipment, going DIY, using toys with pedals and filters, using free or hacked software on cheap laptops, etc.

I myself have been playing since 2000 and still have a very limited gearlist; and never traded or sold any of the instruments I acquired. this is my synth list (ordered chronologically):

roland xp-30
microkorg
korg poly-800 II
korg electribe emx-1

so the roland xp-30 was my first and for many years only synth, and the only one purchased new, back in 2000 (when the synth was still fresh). It was a gift from dad and grandma I got in my late teens; the others, I could buy after I had my job and was financially independent. as I grew older, despite having the money to buy the others, the free time got increasingly rare, so 90% of my music so far has had the xp-30 as its primary audio source.

luckily, my salary isn't on the low level of the minimum income mentioned above, as I have a respectable middle-middle-class IT analyst job at the city hall's public IT company (our company exclusively serves the city administration itself). but then, mortgage and baby daycare alone take the equivalent of HALF of my gross monthly income; not to mention the yearly rape called IPVA (translates as "tax over the OWNERSHIP of automotive vehicle"), which will be bigger than the aforementioned minimium monthly income (it's proportional to the car model and age). my wife also needs to have her own job otherwise we couldn't even afford having a baby...

too much information already - back to the magical world of synthy bliss with harmonia and roedelius!

Last edited by gustavojobim on Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked

Isn't Brazil the world's seventh largest economy? Where are all the money going? scratch

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
gustavojobim

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well the money goes to political parties, and other powerful organizations.

another bit of information: the salary paid to a Vereador - that's the local municipality parliament member - in my city, Rio de Janeiro, is 8600 USD. they recently gave themselves a 61% raise - which is the same raise given to senators and federal deputies by themselves shortly beforehand. and I didn't mention the state sphere of power. there are three spheres: city, state, and federal.

last year I got an 8% raise (that is a LOT). that doesn't cover the inflation in the period.

Rio de Janeiro has 55 of these Vereadores... that's 473,000 USD (rounding down)... and that's only the salary: they (like all other members of legislative and other powers) have rights to other expenses and reimbursements paid by their respective administrations. the number is proportional to the size (number of inhabitants) of the municipality - but there's a minimum of 9 per municipality if I'm not mistaken. Brazil has 5500+ municipalities and there's always someone trying to elevate some district to that category, so that another little political gang can take the taxpayer's hard-earned money.

considering all their expenses and salaries, the city chamber of vereadores of Rio de Janeiro is the most expensive in Brazil. a report from August 2008 mentioned that EACH vereador represented an yearly expense of...

3.4 million US dollars (2012 conversion).
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

abstraktor wrote:

now where are these pressure sensitive IPads?

....snip....

And as if from nowhere... I appear again...!

....and several months later too... just got up you see...

iPads uses a combination of how much of the finger touches the glass as well as the accelerometer to measure how hard the glass is being struck, therefore creating the effect of touch sensitivity. Smile

Good. Got that off my chest. Smile

How's the Reactor coming along.... Wink

gustavojobim

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ah! neither this nor that.

I did install reactor but then later I got the korg electribe emx-1, so I didn't even try reactor.

and the emx-1 is sitting patiently inside its box, waiting for my time... I have musical ideas for it everyday, all the time. time - that's the problem.

so my next moves should be releasing a bunch of old material. this month (july'12) I begin celebrating 10 years since my debut album was mastered (it was released on the turn of 2002/03), so plans include a digital reissue with bonuses and repackaging the remaining old CDs to include new printed material and a CDR with the extras.

cheers
Page 2 of 2 [47 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Jump to: