electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » iOS - iPad/Phone/Pod etc
WiiLes: Performance Art / Music with WiiMotes
Page 2 of 2 [33 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banjo: good idea, electronic drumstics might be just the thing. I could ask the activities director to get a pair of them to tide me over until the iPod arrives.

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Still waiting on the mail for a card so I can make my purchases, I decided to play with the old AirSax4.ck program that I control with my Gyration Air mouse, the second in my evolutionary steps toward this end. I ran into some problems.

First, i had to change the device number on the mouse in the code because of technical reasons. That's a particularly finnicky thing to have to do in a performance situation, mucking around with guts like that. Then ChucK crashed suddenly with no reason stated, and finally i don't really want to lug the mac around to do this.

It's becoming clear to me that iThings are ideal for setting up portable, wireless arrangements so why not keep it that way? I want a setup that I can wear around town or around the apartment with minimal encumberment and perpetual use.

So when I get out my wallet at the store clerk, a portable speaker attached to myself somehow goes "vwoopitty-vwoo" or somesuch. Like a continuous music expression.

So for these reasons, all efforts to get control signals into a master program on some desktop computer are simply not going to apply. I'll need just the earphones that come with the iPod and an armband at first, then add a wireless speaker mounted on my chest or something, and finally a bluetooth audio interface such as the belkin one for performance including radio shows and events.

With the goal a bit more clearly defined, yet not so rigidly set that I can't change it, i feel a lot more comfortable about the purchase: iPod Touch low end model, minimum data plan, Verizon.

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got this awesome tip from Howard: Invisible Drum Set:

http://www.bitshapesoftware.com/instruments/invisibledrumset/

it plays drum samples in response to motion and lets you load your own samples. It even plays guitar. It is somewhat limited in that it just plays the samples after an impact, rather than after another event such as a collection of gestures, but i think that limitation will not be an issue. There should be plenty of freedom of expression with two of these. Thank you Howard, this app was the missing piece!

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Right now the primary obstacle to my project is actually having a credit card with which to make my purchases. Someone here at the hospital facility is stealing my mail and i had to cancel the card and have them issue a new one. I called the post office and they said they would call back within two days. If i have the opportunity I will prosecute that person to the fullest extent of the law. It's a federal offense to tamper with the mail and i'm sick and tired of being pushed around by assholes and idiots. I want my fuckin' iPod damit! (OK, I'm not THAT upset, but i will prosecute for sure given the chance). So it looks like the project is derailed until my mom visits me in two weeks, sigh.

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Update: I received a boatload of awesome samples from Lorin Tone of Lorin Swelk Productions - he's a good friend and wants to help with this project.

So once i calmed down enough to think straight I coded a multisample OSC receiver with stroke gesture recognition algorithm that I cooked up the past two days. The gesture recognition works fine, but ChucK cannot handle 8 long samples or even 8 4 second samples being played in rapid and overlapping succession without slamming my CPU up against the inside of it's little aluminum case! Bummer!

So I asked Lorin to shorten the drum samples to 0.5 seconds long, selecting only 8 of them. Some of the robot samples are short too. The thunder samples are very long, so they will need some special limiting to the gestures, such as slow gesture recognition.

All this will change when I get the iThing as it will have not just x and y but x, y, z, pitch, roll, and yaw. Then I can really make a lot of gestures!

So all in all good progress, cpu limitations but that's manageable. Lock and load, machine gun samples next...

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

WiiLes project update:

Mom visited me in Texas from Florida, bringing Aunt Ginny from Pennsylvania with her. Its great to see them and they fell in love with the project as follows...

We went to Wal-Mart and bought four shiny new WiiMotes for $40 each plus a pack of batteries for spares. After some difficulty which I will describe shortly, I managed to make the WiiMotes display their data on some graphs on the Mac mini's screen. As soon as I gave mom the WiiMotes she fell in love with moving them around and seeing the data change in the plots. The light bulb went on and she immediately said that once I have this thing figured out she wants me to set it up for her in Florida.

Now the difficulty. In November of 2011, Nintendo came out with a new WiiMote that was incompatible with Osculator. Fortunately Osculator has full web-based biz support, so they quickly came out with a fix which was a beta version of Osculator. I had to read docs and the FAQ and the forum thoroughtly before finding this out, so perhaps it could be made more obvious, but I'm not complaining. Within a few hours of RTFM I had working WiiMotes.

I ccntinued step by step coding, first getting ChucK to see the MIDI numbers at all, then figuring out how to set up multiple WiiMotes (2 for now), with all their buttons and axes being recognized, and finally making some interesting sounds with SinOsc oscillators and the like.

Next I will code up the flute on the Wiimote and we'll take it from there. Overall the project is shaping up nicely.

Les

jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Les,

I have the TC-11 synth for the iPad...and it has some incredible features for multiple finger detection...it will detect the first finger put down...it's XY position, etc. Then the second..XY, but also it's relative position to the first (angles relative to the first, distance, etc). Then the third is put down, and you get that much more information.

It occurred to me, that similar information could be extrapolated from your WiiMote sensors...not only raw data from each, but relative information, such as the difference in angle each one is held at. All that extra information I think makes electronic instruments more...organic. They take on a whole new life when it's not so easy to simply map 1 position to 1 sound.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey yeah, thanks! what a great idea. the information given is xyz acceleration or pitch/roll/yaw position as detected from the gravity vector, so angular differences are the best to compare (otherwise I must track position of the WiiMotes which is drifty and heaps o matrix-trig-math). Also the arms are constrained to angles relative to the body and therefore to each other.

Well, all I have to do is remember the angles and use them in each other's expressions. I can see how it will be more expressive - nice, I'll try this today.

Les

Page 2 of 2 [33 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » iOS - iPad/Phone/Pod etc
Jump to: