electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
  host / artist show at your time
today> Modulator ESP Adventures In Sound
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Suggestion for Jürgen's forum
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
jumunius

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Suggestion for Jürgen's forum Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

So my thus-far futile attempts to debug my first two JH projects has me thinking. What would be really helpful is some good test files to compare results against. With a lot of synth projects, build results seem easy enough to verify. You can scope the outputs of a VCO to see whether you are getting a good sine, square, tri, etc.

With fx like many of Jürgen's projects, the results are a little harder to quantify. In the two BBD projects I'm building (Triple Chorus and SOST Flanger) it's not clear what I'm listening for in some cases.

And now, of course, the master has left us, which further obscures things.

So what I would propose is that people who complete projects and feel like they have a solid build might do a great service to the rest of us by recording a test file, processing said test file using a few easily reproduceable settings, and then posting the results. Future builders can download the raw file, process it as described, and compare results with the "benchmark".

So if and when I finish my SOST Flanger, I might play a saw wave patch for 10 seconds, and then take that recording and process it with a variety of Manual, Resonance, etc settings, with 1 or 2 BBDs, All Pass Filtering, with this or that inverted, etc. Then post all of it with appropriate notes.

Granted there are an endless number of permutations, but just get enough to give a builder a sense of what each key feature "should" sound like. And if one feature is missed and needed down the line, a future builder could ask if someone could take the raw file and process it with switch x thrown, and then again, you'd have a common file producing an expected result.

Granted, I will happily do this myself if and when I complete the projects I'm working on now, or any of the future JH boards in my collection.

Just a thought. Anyone like the idea? Have additional suggestions? How and where to organize?

I realize people got along here without this for years, but then again, JH used to be very active in offering advice for debugging, which wasn't as true towards the end of his life.

djs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One thing that really helped me with my X0XB0X build was a reference voltage chart that showed what volts should be at most locations:

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/8567/mainboardwithanaloguevo.png

Obviously this is alot of work, and voltages can be variable in certain sections of the board, but this helps for many issues. Also, for easily identifying where you can find power supply, data, and ground lines.
jumunius

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

djs wrote:
One thing that really helped me with my X0XB0X build was a reference voltage chart that showed what volts should be at most locations:

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/8567/mainboardwithanaloguevo.png

Obviously this is alot of work, and voltages can be variable in certain sections of the board, but this helps for many issues. Also, for easily identifying where you can find power supply, data, and ground lines.

Thanks, yeah, that would be handy as well. Would be worthwhile to map something like that out, since so many problems come down to the basics.

With some of this stuff, however, an added issue is that there is all this lore about the way that chips of different manufacture perform -- which CMOS chip, with which BBD, etc. And then it's hard to tell how it's SUPPOSED to sound. With a 303/808/909 there are a gazillion samples out there to inform you. With an effect, it's not so clear.

I'm thinking now that my SOST build may not be so far off.... if I get a little more confident I'll post some samples for future builders.

haima

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seems like a good idea.

sometime i'll try and record some dry / wet demos of my subtle chorus and solina chorus....

i'm re-jigging my studio at the moment and both those units are packed away so it won't be for a little while.
jumunius

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

haima wrote:
seems like a good idea.

sometime i'll try and record some dry / wet demos of my subtle chorus and solina chorus....

i'm re-jigging my studio at the moment and both those units are packed away so it won't be for a little while.

Cool, I look forward to it. I've put my Solina build into my rack for now, but I hope to open it up again in a few months.

I don't know what the best approach is for this. For the Solina it's easy enough to use one of Jürgen's demos (the one I've been using in the Solina thread) as source material so one can compare his sound to your own. But then the source is MP3, so maybe that's a downside, fidelity-wise.

If you get around to it and want to start from your own source files, perhaps you can post the dry file in aif so others may use it easily for their own full-bandwidth comparisons.

Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Jump to: