electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Yamaha SY77/99/TG77
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
sebber

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 33

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Yamaha SY77/99/TG77 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello everybody,

long time no see. I hope everybody is in good health.

I was wondering if there are good Yamaha SY77/99/TG77 emulations for an extended G2 and how I would get the old patches into the machine. I know it's possible for the Dx7 and that those emulations are good, so does this work with the other Yamaha machines as well?

Thanks for your hints
Sebastian

varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello Sebastian,

Good to see you post to the forum again Smile

In many cases the G2 would not be able to emulate those Yamaha synths, because they can use ROM wave samples (the SY99 can also be loaded with user samples) as modulators and the AFM operators have several wave shapes other than just the basic sine used in the DX synths. The only patches that the G2 would probably be able to reproduce are AFM patches that use only sine waves. Those synths also have several additional algorithms that are not in the DX series, so the G2 DX Router module could not be used in every case. You would then need to patch the routes of the operators and feedback loops manually.

I don’t know of any G2 patch convertors for those synths.

Several years ago I tried to reproduce my favorite SY77 AFM bass patch that I built, but I just couldn’t get it exactly right in my G2X. But that just may have been because of my lack of G2 patching skills at the time. Anyway, those Yamaha synths have a really powerful and deep AFM section! Although I don’t use my SY77 much any more, I’m still very reluctant to sell it. Smile

sebber

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 33

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, varice, that is all the information I needed and very insightful. I forgot that these machines are not just better DX7 but sometimes complete workstations with more synthesis options than FM. I'm not looking into patching the G2 to make it sound like a machine that has different possibilities - it would take ages and it would probably take so many voices that I end up with just one. I ran into this once before but I could just resample the synth, which was actually pretty neat (Redmatica Autosampler is a goedkoop solution). But this time the synth gets modulated by after touch and what not and that won't work. Which makes it once again clear, that compositions/patches or anything else is lost if it's written too specifically for a platform and that platform decays. For now I know of three SY-99 that I could use, so they will have to do and I hope they don't die until next year.
Other than that I'm finishing up my PhD about the difficulties playing electronic pieces of the past and the title for that is - "It worked yesterday". Very Happy

Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: