electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Ken Stone designs - CGS
cgs18 Drum Simulator
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Dhamaryder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: cgs18 Drum Simulator Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just finished my drum simulator and everything works great except that the pots do absolutely nothing(well, one of them has a very slight effect). I read on the Yahoo forum someone who had the same problem and someone suggested that he might have used newer 3v diodes. The diodes I used are the old fashioned 1.6v. Does anyone have any suggestions?
thanks,
steve
jumunius

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: cgs18 Drum Simulator Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dhamaryder wrote:
I just finished my drum simulator and everything works great except that the pots do absolutely nothing(well, one of them has a very slight effect). I read on the Yahoo forum someone who had the same problem and someone suggested that he might have used newer 3v diodes. The diodes I used are the old fashioned 1.6v. Does anyone have any suggestions?
thanks,
steve

If it helps, here is a pattern using both of my CGS18 voices as I sweep the harmonics pot from min to max.* I used 1.6v LEDs too. I don't get much effect from the pot until the last 25% or so. I sometimes wonder if I could get a little more juice out of that knob, just a little heavier distortion.

If your build is working otherwise it seems like there are very few possibilities to explain why one pot doesn't work:

Bad LED, LED installed backwards, wiring fault, wiper not tied to ground, etc.

*I fed the cathode of each LED into a single pot as a compromise for panel space.

jumunius

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: cgs18 Drum Simulator Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jumunius wrote:
here is a pattern using both of my CGS18 voices as I sweep the harmonics pot from min to max.

Oops, forgot to attach....

CGS18_HarmonicsSweep.mp3
 Description:
Pattern using both of my CGS18 voices as I sweep the harmonics pot from min to max

Download
 Filename:  CGS18_HarmonicsSweep.mp3
 Filesize:  377.14 KB
 Downloaded:  280 Time(s)

Dhamaryder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jim, thanks for posting the recording. you're getting a LOT more difference out of that pot than I am. I think my LEDs are in correctly but I'm not a hundred percent sure because they were a different make than I've used before. But when the drum is working the LEDs do flash, although very faintly. If they were in backwards would they still flash?
steve
jumunius

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dhamaryder wrote:
Jim, thanks for posting the recording. you're getting a LOT more difference out of that pot than I am. I think my LEDs are in correctly but I'm not a hundred percent sure because they were a different make than I've used before. But when the drum is working the LEDs do flash, although very faintly. If they were in backwards would they still flash?
steve

No problem, Steve.

I assume they shouldn't flash if you have them in backwards, and per Ken's notes on the CGS site, the flashing is pretty faint. The brightness increases as you turn the pot to max. Pretty noticeable in the dark of a cabinet at least.

Well, the voltage must be getting somewhere if they are flashing. You could try banana-clipping the cathodes to ground to confirm that your pot wiring is ok. If you hear/see an improvement, then you know it's something to do with the pots.

Aum Generator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had the same problem, when using modern LEDs.
I asked Ken and he suggested either adding 2nd LED in opposite direcetion in parallel, or removing the led and replacing with two 1n4148 diodes in series. I tried both options and both worked.
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Ken Stone designs - CGS
Jump to: