electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Andromeda A6 users, how many are we?
Page 1 of 2 [36 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next

Are you an A6 Andromeda user?
Yes, I am
95%
 95%  [ 23 ]
Yes, I am.
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 24

m127

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject:  Andromeda A6 users, how many are we?
Subject description: Trying to gather users together for a community driven project.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LATEST UPDATE:

Very well A6ers, here is the idea. I agree that it's better to lay it down already, and see where it leads us to.

If you don't like it, I beg you to spare the guy with the initiative!

The details and further suggestions are being discussed in the A6 mailing list (here: http://lists.soulrebels.com/listinfo.cgi/a6-soulrebels.com).
I am happy to report only surprising enthusiasm and positiveness so far over there, and we are already on our way.

Hope to have your support and set a good precedent together.

Here it is:
m127 (Ivan) via email on the a6 mailing list
OK, guys.

I guess to expedite and to not hold your breaths longer than necessary and risk putting your expectations too high, maybe I will just unveil the idea now.

The objective is this: to get a professional developer to create the a6 librarian/editor our synth deserves> standalone, Mac/W-compatible, including all functions considered standard in pro librarian/editor (as much as the a6’s MIDI implementation permits).

My approach to make it happen is this: Basically, the idea came from observing the same question over and over in different forums and communities: where can I get a pro A6 editor/librarian? In digging more, I saw many attempts have been made and usually those were medium to very low quality results compared to what a synth such as the a6 deserves.

So I thought: how come we don’t have a professional one? From my findings in talking directly to some developers, I realized they were hesitant from the low direct requests AND because when they were proactively interested, the a6 was simply NOT ready for it (remember how the MIDI implementation was one of the major shortcomings of the initial OSs?) Long story short, I have been in talks with a couple of pro reputable developers, and they showed genuine initial interest when I told them that we could gather at least 100 interested licensees for version 1. Let’s be realistic, who would want to take the risk to develop such product for a discontinued hw synth just like that?

So my idea to approach this obstacle is: that we create together a win-win situation both for us (getting the pro editor-librarian that we want and need) and for them (securing a minimally juicy initial user base of 100 users and the rights over the sw for future maintenance and marketing, etc.) Thus, this is not a for-profit initiative for us (especially not for me for the sake of honesty), we just want a GREAT librarian at the very least… and so I took the initiative to talk to devs and to rally for your attention, which is why we are talking about this now . I know there may be better ways and what not, but without initiative and driven will there is nothing really, and we all know there was indeed nothing going on for our a6 since the dismal product discontinuation was announced.

Finally for now, in talking to these developers, they think my suggestion to rally for a committed and guaranteed initial user base of at least 100 licensees so that they see the project is financially feasible IS A GOOD ONE and I have their initial interest, and so it’s up to us to show unity and genuine, honest interest for this project.

So, before we go any further, I would like to ask you directly 2 things for which an answer would be very appreciated:
1. Would you like to see a professional librarian or editor or both as much as I would?
2. Would you be willing to help me rally for the initial 100 licensees target AND be one of them, which already is sweet sounding to the ears of potential devs?

If my idea seems stupid to you, I apologize (please spare the guy with the initiative!!) However, I assure you it has been well received by potential pro devs and I truly think the 100 licensee target could be easily attainable if we pull together.

I am one of those willing to even provide the funds for 3 licenses myself for the sake of seeing this positive project taking off the ground. Of course, I never agreed to pay for the full license in advance in my proposal to them. My thought was that they could get inspired even with a 50% down payment just to show our seriousness, which should be more than enough, and we can even negotiate this further with WHOEVER developer we all want to work with for this project, once we start laying down the options.

For now, let me know your responses to those 2 questions guys, and thanks much for your attention and patience. Hope this was not uberlong email, I tried to be as concise and informative as possible.

Ivan.

OPs:
I am planning some business proposal for the benefit of users of this synth, but I need to know how many we are and see if it's worth it.

Just add yourselves to the poll so a number is reflected.
Please bump the thread from time to time for visibility to more users.

Mods, no, this is not for personal benefit or personal business other than the benefit any other user of the synth would get if this takes off. Please understand I can't discuss the details right now, because if we are not really enough users, then the idea will not work, and so it would be a waste of time to even bother to explain at this point. Counting how many we are won't hurt anyway.

UPDATE ON Thursday March 8th:
m127: Hey all A6ers!

I have gotten lots of responses elsewhere as well!

I have not gotten many recommendations as to the best communication system to guarantee that ALL users from GS, Vintage Synth, electro-music, etc. receive the proposal in one go if only for practical purposes.

I believe in honesty and transparency and have zero tolerance for ill opportunism, as such I always try my best to make decisions based on the fairest manner possible and considering the greater common good at all times... THUS I am leaning towards the decision to lay down my proposal for you using the already existing A6 mailing list.

• While I am personally relatively new to the list, this group has been in existence since at least june 2002.
  • Many of you are already members of that list.
  • Many of the greatest A6 synth culture and technical contributors have been in that list for a long time, including the creators of that list and the creators of great patches and documentations.
  • It's better that we gather in one central place for further discussion on the project.
  • Personally, I have NEVER observed any undesirable behaviors in that list. Members of that list are usually kind and no misuse has been reported to my knowledge.
  • It's email based.
  • It's not a bad thing at all such a list gets a new infusion of members.

I think this is the fairest decision I can make. As you know, no massive PMing is allowed in gearslutz.com. It would be a TOTAL PAIN to write PMs in sets of 5 by 5... not happening. Sorry in advance. I also don't want to act as an agent and give preference to any forum and force fellow users to anything that would seem questionable as to my integrity and ethics.

So, unless there is a powerful reason or objection any of you want to communicate ASAP, please go ahead and add yourselves to the list here:

a6 Info Page

Please do subscribe NOW and remind your fellow users to do that asap as we continue to grow as a user group. Maybe send an email to the list to introduce yourselves and confirm membership.

Please do consider that regardless of my project, being all together in one place IS a good thing as a community of users of our beloved A6.

PS: I will spam this thread with this very same post a few times to raise notice.

Hail to the A6 I say!!

PREVIOUS UPDATE FROM QUESTIONS ELSEWHERE:
I will only guaratee you (reiterate) now that my idea is not any business I am running for my benefit or will run personally in any way nor it will benefit me individually/financially in any way whatsoever.

I just need to know if the number of users around is enough for the idea to be feasible financially, so that I can bring it up to all the appropriate parties. As you may understand, I would not be comfortable WASTING ammo nor wasting anyone's time (more than "yes, I am an a6 user"; no harm in that) if the idea is not feasible.

No VSTs, no sounds banks for sale. You have my word on this publicly.

Please be patient, I will certainly disclose publicly if and when the required "ingredients" are/can be put together. There's no harm in counting anyway, plus this is probably a way for A6 slutz to know each other as well... maybe you guys can come up with some ideas as well when we realize how many we are. We could even create the "A6 club" or something.

PREVIOUS UPDATE ON QUESTIONS ELSEWHERE:

QUESTION by soundwave106 "but I'm not necessarily interested in any A6 product unless it has something I am looking for"

m127: That's implicitly understood. Worry not.
No harm in counting users.
I won't go public with my idea NOR my contacts if I don't see I have all the ingredients. Don't want to waste ammo. Hope this makes sense.
The people complaining are free to not be counted in to hear the idea, this is obvious as well. Just don't cast your vote, so I don't PM you about it.

Thanks all.

Last edited by m127 on Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
wwjd

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hmmmm biggest A6 forum online and ZERO replies? better rethink your intro strategy and fast
m127

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wwjd wrote:
hmmmm biggest A6 forum online and ZERO replies? better rethink your intro strategy and fast

since you are more familiar with this forum, would you be interested in offering a better way for an intro strategy...

In looking at the different posters of this a6 forum, I see many familiar nicks and pics though...
sunny pedaal

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this site has been opened due to " shortcomings" in the a6code forumsite.
( this site has been running strong since 2004 : http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-4179.html )
think it's a bad idea to go back to another site again, with less opportunities to post, no attachments, no photo uploading possibilities etc.
however it's your own choice.
i stay here, and will post whatever link necessary.
post messages once please otherwise this place might become a mess .
so my guess would be : either stick on the gearslutz cause you started the discussion there, or come over here.

think you already have the attention of the whole active community, so come on with the proposal and please get to the os, honestly i don't need so much librarian with all those knobs on the instrument. if a vst editor with editing/ automation possibilities , also for mac, is meant I'm in though.

nice initiative anyway , thanks !
m127

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: The idea
Subject description: A community driven project for the A6 Andromeda
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very well A6ers, here is the idea. I agree that it's better to lay it down already, and see where it leads us to.

If you don't like it, I beg you to spare the guy with the initiative!

The details and further suggestions are being discussed in the A6 mailing list (here: http://lists.soulrebels.com/listinfo.cgi/a6-soulrebels.com).
I am happy to report only surprising enthusiasm and positiveness so far over there, and we are already on our way.

Hope to have your support and set a good precedent together.

Here it is:
m127 (Ivan) via email on the a6 mailing list
OK, guys.

I guess to expedite and to not hold your breaths longer than necessary and risk putting your expectations too high, maybe I will just unveil the idea now.

The objective is this: to get a professional developer to create the a6 librarian/editor our synth deserves> standalone, Mac/W-compatible, including all functions considered standard in pro librarian/editor (as much as the a6’s MIDI implementation permits).

My approach to make it happen is this: Basically, the idea came from observing the same question over and over in different forums and communities: where can I get a pro A6 editor/librarian? In digging more, I saw many attempts have been made and usually those were medium to very low quality results compared to what a synth such as the a6 deserves.

So I thought: how come we don’t have a professional one? From my findings in talking directly to some developers, I realized they were hesitant from the low direct requests AND because when they were proactively interested, the a6 was simply NOT ready for it (remember how the MIDI implementation was one of the major shortcomings of the initial OSs?) Long story short, I have been in talks with a couple of pro reputable developers, and they showed genuine initial interest when I told them that we could gather at least 100 interested licensees for version 1. Let’s be realistic, who would want to take the risk to develop such product for a discontinued hw synth just like that?

So my idea to approach this obstacle is: that we create together a win-win situation both for us (getting the pro editor-librarian that we want and need) and for them (securing a minimally juicy initial user base of 100 users and the rights over the sw for future maintenance and marketing, etc.) Thus, this is not a for-profit initiative for us (especially not for me for the sake of honesty), we just want a GREAT librarian at the very least… and so I took the initiative to talk to devs and to rally for your attention, which is why we are talking about this now . I know there may be better ways and what not, but without initiative and driven will there is nothing really, and we all know there was indeed nothing going on for our a6 since the dismal product discontinuation was announced.

Finally for now, in talking to these developers, they think my suggestion to rally for a committed and guaranteed initial user base of at least 100 licensees so that they see the project is financially feasible IS A GOOD ONE and I have their initial interest, and so it’s up to us to show unity and genuine, honest interest for this project.

So, before we go any further, I would like to ask you directly 2 things for which an answer would be very appreciated:
1. Would you like to see a professional librarian or editor or both as much as I would?
2. Would you be willing to help me rally for the initial 100 licensees target AND be one of them, which already is sweet sounding to the ears of potential devs?

If my idea seems stupid to you, I apologize (please spare the guy with the initiative!!) However, I assure you it has been well received by potential pro devs and I truly think the 100 licensee target could be easily attainable if we pull together.

I am one of those willing to even provide the funds for 3 licenses myself for the sake of seeing this positive project taking off the ground. Of course, I never agreed to pay for the full license in advance in my proposal to them. My thought was that they could get inspired even with a 50% down payment just to show our seriousness, which should be more than enough, and we can even negotiate this further with WHOEVER developer we all want to work with for this project, once we start laying down the options.

For now, let me know your responses to those 2 questions guys, and thanks much for your attention and patience. Hope this was not uberlong email, I tried to be as concise and informative as possible.

Ivan.
slowalan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would be interested in a patch librarian, but don't really need an editor. My A6 serial number is already posted.
dougt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you are on a PC there's a librarian called A6 Librarian. You can find it on the Yahoo forum -

launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Andromeda_A6-ION

slowalan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks Doug, did not know that.
wwjd

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MIDIQWEST lists an editor also, as well as rumor of the free one for CTRLR.org
m127

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wwjd wrote:
MIDIQWEST lists an editor also, as well as rumor of the free one for CTRLR.org

You may want to know that MidiQuest's support is only at the librarian level.

I talked to the MQ dev too, and he stated no editor is planned now nor for the near future... for reasons I don't think I am allowed or would be proper to disclose. I.e., no interest, but his reasons are respectable and he was straightforward. Many of his editors are great.

What I am suggesting though is a pro solution, a full package by also experienced developers.

I tried CRTLR for a NordLead (only, I don't know there's in fact an a6 editor/librarian)... not the quality and support the a6 deserves honestly. But good luck to those who prefer going that route.

Cheers

purpurkatten

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great idea and initiative!

A professionally designed LIBRARIAN would be MOST welcome. I´m prepared to pay $$$ for it.

- The A6 librarian is, I´m sorry to say, amateurishly designed at best and pretty much dysfunctional.
- Midiquest is hideously expensive and, from reviews and reports, hopelessly buggy.

An EDITOR for A6 would of course be nice, too, and I´m prepared to pay $$$ for that, too. But, according to those who have tried to make one before and failed (Vyzor and others), the A6 is VERY complicated with perhaps too many parameters to grasp.

So I would recommend you to concentrate on one thing at at time and release the software in two steps, first a good librarian, and then the editor. Otherwise, from the last 10 years of experience, there is a great risk there won´t be any of it.

Of course, the best would be to have the same app for both, that the editor included the librarian, like what is available for the Moog Little Phatty. But, as I said, better to do it in steps so that there will be any result at all. My suggestion is that the librarian will be upgradable to the editor for an extra fee.

I also would like to request that the software is compatible with win 7, 64 bit.

Again, great idea and let´s do it!

All A6 programming pros, don´t hesitate to put together your best patches and make them available on the Internet! If you´d like to charge a reasonable fee for others to download them, that is fine by me! The more attention and patches and community for the Andromeda, the better!
Mefistophelees

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm a little sceptical of this project.

At 100 users you'll need to guarantee $100 each just to raise $10,000. I suspect the development cost will be rather higher than that.

Also, what does an editor offer for an instrument with so many controls?

I have the Soundtower editor for the Prophet'08 but I never use it. I don't even use the librarian features because I use the same small free app for all my synths.

I'd say find out what people want in something like this and how much it'll cost to provide it. Then, if possible provide something basic that works. If it sells enough than add other fancy features.

I applaud your efforts and I'll follow the project but I can't guarantee I'll buy the end product.

purpurkatten

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mefistophelees wrote:

I have the Soundtower editor for the Prophet'08 but I never use it. I don't even use the librarian features because I use the same small free app for all my synths.

What Soundtower app work as a librarian for the Andromeda, exactly?

All A6 programming pros, don´t hesitate to put together your best patches and make them available on the Internet! If you´d like to charge a reasonable fee for others to download them, that is fine by me! The more attention and patches and community for the Andromeda, the better!
sunny pedaal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i did unsubsribe to the mailinglist ( after years )
reason: tonloads of non info filling up my postbox.
sorry , i do prefer an " normal" forumsite with all options to highlight a problem.
( ridiculous tmho to get an overdated medium out of the cottonballs, but oke if people prefer it : good luck ! )
purpurkatten

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sunny pedaal wrote:
i did unsubsribe to the mailinglist ( after years )
reason: tonloads of non info filling up my postbox.
sorry , i do prefer an " normal" forumsite with all options to highlight a problem.
( ridiculous tmho to get an overdated medium out of the cottonballs, but oke if people prefer it : good luck ! )

I agree, mailinglists are very 1990s. Let´s discuss here instead.

sunny pedaal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

'd start with a100 to contribute to an os update !
Infrablue

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd love an Editor. Mac. I'd buy one for a reasonable price.

Thanks for your efforts!
Mefistophelees

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

purpurkatten wrote:
What Soundtower app work as a librarian for the Andromeda, exactly?

The librarian isn't a soundtower app.

It called Sysex Librarian. Should work with most synths.

purpurkatten

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just read this message at the a6 mailing list, I think it should also reach this forum:

"A6 VST/AU PROJECT ANNOUNCEMENT
Hey guys, well, I am very glad to announce that we have a developer ready to start the project. It?s no less than Lanrosta himself over at Rekon Audio (including him here with his permission)!!!

Yaaay!

Rekon Audio is widely known for some great products already. Their MKS-80 editor, just for one example, gave that glorious synth basically a new dimension of usability and workflow integration in today?s studios lucky enough to own that synth.

As you know, my only humble role and intention throughout has been to promote the project and help make it a reality by gathering the "ingredients". As such, I want everything transparent for you guys, that?s why I want you to get to have contact with the developer yourselves and also share your ideas. I've been discussing a VST/AU Editor with Lanrosta for the a6 for the last couple of weeks.

We have good news for you> He went and reviewed the SysEx documentation and deems the project IS possible. Just imagine being able to automate any parameter DIRECTLY from your DAW within a nice GUI with automatic settings recall, presets, etc. You know what this means? This means the creation of an ITB Andromeda a6 with its glorious OTB sound IS ON.

So go ahead and share your thoughts! Lanrosta might not respond to all emails individually, but he will in fact read what you have to say about the project and your support. Remember that remaining positive in our communications only creates a proper and harmonious collaborative setting, which is what makes things happen!

NEXT STEPS:

Do we have ANY a6 users near the United States Colorado Springs, CO, area?

We would need an a6 for Lanrosta/Rekon Audio to work with for about a month or so. That way a fully tested and compatible A6 VST/AU will find our way in the next months.

The price is still up for discussion (he is calculating about $100-$140) depending on the number of users, so if you guys want to contribute to help bring the price down, we can accomplish that by bringing more supporters in. As a note: I won?t receive nor handle a single dime at all from this project. I just want to help make this project be realized. Period.

Please also acknowledge the fact that Lanrosta has been very resourceful and he has not taken on the project exactly for the prospect of getting rich but for his sincere love for great synths. I say the least we should do is support him by bringing more users in and at the very least keep a good attitude about the project.

Cheers guys! WE ALL can make it happen!

Ivan."

Great news! Very Happy

Infrablue

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome!

It would be cool to have built in midi control to the plugin parameters and everything. There are some cool LFO/ENV etc. plugins that would then make this all the more modular. Of course that could be done with a custom environment but all the better if it just worked up front.

I'll be buying this interface and letting my friends know who have the A6.

Thanks for the cool product and work.
m127

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks much guys.

The next steps are:

1. Spread the word (just as purpurkatten did)... We do need ALL the support and enthusiasm from the a6 user community!

2. Help us a find an a6 user near the Colorado Springs area in the U.S., so that Rekon Audio can run their tests.

Cheers,
m127 (ivan)
sunny pedaal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

great news. wow !
purpurkatten

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Adding to the wishlist: Please make sure that the software is tested for compability with the sequencer Presonus Studio One!
purpurkatten

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anybody having any updates on how things are going with the A6 editor/librarian?
m127

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We need volunteers in the Colorado US area to lend their a6 for testing. We had one volunteer but he didn't respond to the email nor the PM.

If we don't get units for the testing is like this project is dead.

Page 1 of 2 [36 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Jump to: