electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
My first modular! And my first post!
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
XidZeta

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: My first modular! And my first post!
Subject description: A little advice on signal path, and interfacing with computer
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, its all over, ive started a modular synth! first modules are what comes in the doepfer a-100 basic mini system, plus a multifilter, cv mixer and an extra asdr and lfo, and ive been wondering on proper signal path to my soundcard. depending on the sound, and limited from the amount of modules i have, the signal path usually ends with one of these 3 modules: A-138 mixer, A-120 low pass filter, or the A-131 VCA, going straight into my soundcards hi Z input with a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter cable. I guess i was wondering if there is generally a preferred output from a modular system to audio interface. Should I buy some module to always use as the output of the whole system? Also, my soundcard has multiple input types: preamp, HiZ and standard 1/4", is there a preferred method here?

Thanks for any advice and I look forward to my future in modular!
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi and welcome

Sounds like you're hooked. Smile

Using the A-138 or A-131 gives you "audio out" which is line level, meaning you don't need a preamp. Probably the "standard 1/4" " input is the best. What sound card is it?

Home,My Studio,and another view
ndkent

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, you normally go out line level and you can treat it like recording another hardware synth.

Some people like to further color their signal before it's digitized but it's personal preference. I mean a preamp is typically used with a mic. You do have preamps that take a line in with the option to color the sound. Then again I'd think you do not necessarily want to track the modular sound colored unless you really love the way it's being colored.

You definitely want something easy to use to adjust input level. Sometimes a modular puts out a very hot and not necessarily consistently loud signal. So I think either a module with an easy to adjust level or even a basic external mixer is a good thing to get that signal at a good level for your audio interface to record
XidZeta

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for the advice, I am using an eiderol ua-101 as an interface, its just eisier for the way i have my work area setup to have it running a 1/4" mono plug into the 2nd mic/instrument xlr/1/4 combination jack. it has a switch marked HI-Z that the manual suggests turning on with an instrument in, and a sensitivity knob (for the preamp i think, i dont really think the sound gets colored much when using this , really just seems to be volume)

also, i was wondering if there are any other online shops with eurorack gear besides analog haven...
ndkent

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You are probably fine though I think "instrument" in association with "hi-Z" might imply guitar or bass which has significantly lower signal and requires a built in preamp, though in relation to a mic signal is quite different. Anyway as mentioned, a synth, modular or not tends to be an unbalanced line signal. So I was just thinking check to make sure there is or isn't a line option, if there isn't then I guess you are where you want it.

When I mentioned a special preamp I meant something with perhaps but not necessarily tubes, built in EQ, in other words intentionally changing the input sound. This is absolutely not essential at all but some people are really into this sort of thing.

As for other dealers, one has to research the manufacturer. Some builders only sell direct to a customer bypassing a dealer, some choose one dealer for each country, some, I'd say mostly companies who come from a guitar pedal background or have a line let any dealer carry their modules. Anyway, Analogue Haven is the exclusive Doepfer modular dealer for the U.S. and surely is the only dealer of a number of other small brands, BigCityMusic.com is the exclusive Analogue Systems dealer. NoiseBug.net used to be a bigger Eurorack presence but seem to just carry more Analogue Solutions than Analogue Haven does (it's not an exclusive deal). There are some dealers with a bunch of smaller brands anyone can be a dealer for, but as mentioned, with a little research on a brand you can figure out who your options are. Some only take pre-orders for instance, do a run for those people and then thats that.
blesscurse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My first post as well..... Welcome.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
Jump to: