electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
New Nord coming to Musikmesse!!!
Page 5 of 5 [119 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
trotz

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If anyone is interested, we could organize a meeting this summer for Kyma-beginners and exchange our learnings...

This June I have plans for going to Berlin, but any other city in Europe is fine!

Anyone?

Baby

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Officially hijacked.

I guess this is the new Nord!

Maybe EM could grant a sub forum for Kyma users...
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Baby wrote:
Maybe EM could grant a sub forum for Kyma users...

ok, can do, http://electro-music.com/forum/forum-173.html - for good measure I even quickly typed up some messages there from random users Shocked Laughing

But it seems even less active than the official symbolic sound kyma forum.

Baby wrote:
I guess this is the new Nord!

I'd have loved a Nord with lots of memory and faster processing Exclamation

cappy2112

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:

I'd have loved a Nord with lots of memory and faster processing Exclamation

A "Nord", or a new Nord modular variant?

Who wouldn't, but I gave up hope a long time ago.
I don't think the Nord Modulars were that profitable for Clavia.

Roland Kuit

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 127

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[I don't think the Nord Modulars were that profitable for Clavia.]

I think so too.
But it was not due the Nord Modular and the G2.
They are fantastic(for that time, and still are).
But the salesmen in the music stores didn't know enough about modular synthesis.
Hell, I still learn every day!

I think when they will bring out an other modular they should pack something like SoundLab with it. Wink
cappy2112

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Roland Kuit wrote:
[I don't think the Nord Modulars were that profitable for Clavia.]

I think when they will bring out an other modular they should pack something like SoundLab with it. Wink

That's an excellent idea. Educating the end user would be the best way to boost sales.

Does anyone know where the Tardis is?

Roland Kuit

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can't find the Tardis here, but you can make the sound of it by scraping a key over a piano string Wink
buzzr

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've had the Kyma system (Keema) and the Sonic Core Xite-1. The Xite-1 is like the Nord Modulars on steroids. Kyma is more for sound design.

I don't use either the Kyma or the Xite-1 near as much as the Nord Modulars.

I'm going to be selling the Xite-1 soon along with some eventide stuff..
Estarriol

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm and I was gonna buy XITE... You were buying it for Modular solely? I was going to input modulars into A16ultra > XITE for mixing in real time.
Baby

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

New [Kyma] coming to [me]!
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool Laughing
buzzr

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Estarriol wrote:
Hmm and I was gonna buy XITE... You were buying it for Modular solely? I was going to input modulars into A16ultra > XITE for mixing in real time.

Yes, I bought the Xite-1 for modular solely. I'm going to sell it with the laptop card, Modular 4 and Flexor 3.

It's a great system. But, the Nord Modulars are all I need. And I have two G2's..
Estarriol

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

buzzr wrote:
Yes, I bought the Xite-1 for modular solely. I'm going to sell it with the laptop card, Modular 4 and Flexor 3.

It's a great system. But, the Nord Modulars are all I need. And I have two G2's..

You've helped me make a decision, thanks. Will skip the XITE. I own two NMG2s, and going for a third...
Roland Kuit

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A combination between the G2 and the Wave wouldn't be so bad I think.
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Roland Kuit wrote:

A combination of G2 and elektron octatrack is pretty great in many more ways ...
grimley

G2 patch files: 9

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dasz wrote:
Roland Kuit wrote:

A combination of G2 and elektron octatrack is pretty great in many more ways ...

Dasz, how are you? I'm still intrigued by the Octatrack but I have to say after watching the video of the 1.2 update looper feature ... that seemed overly complicated to set up! No?
-grimley

dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the looper is a bit funny and it easier to control remotely than using the panel, but the step based recording is not bad once you get a hang of it.

it's a deep machine and the sequencer is great.
anigbrowl

G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I bought an Octatrack last December, but since we also bought a house it ook some time before I could get into it Smile

It is a very, very nice combination with the G2. The MIDI implementation is quite good, so you can exert a lot of control of one machine over the other; the G2 can trigger recording and playback of samples and all realtime controls on the OT, while the OT has a simple but powerful MIDI sequencer, a programmable and scale-lockable arpeggiator, and 8 midi-synced LFOs with long cycles and programmable waveforms - exactly covering some slightly weak points of the G2. Likewise, the G2 can handle more advanced audio and MIDI processing tasks. The filter and effects on the OT are fairly simple but quite good and with their own unique character. I slightly prefer the filters and distortion effects on the OT compared to the basic Clavia modules.

Weak points: you cannot trigger samples or slices over MIDI, so if you want to use the OT like a drum machine from the G2 you need to either use 8 tracks or employ some tricks with the sample start parameter. The crossfader receives but does not send MIDI, and sadly you can't warp MIDI parameters with the scene controls at all. The manual is quite poorly written, and the interface is so minimal it can sometimes be a little unfriendly. But Elektron is a nice company, they put out bug fixes and make small usability improvements about once a month, with major updates 2 or 3 times a year.

You may or may not like the sequencer, which is very much step-based. It took me some time to get used to it and at times I miss using the RS7000 sequencer, but not the one in the Emu sampler. I am planning to sell both of these soon, I think, but I might get a Proteus module or similar ROMpler because it is still useful to have one machine with plenty of polyphony and a conventional architecture with some conventional sounds, or maybe an an iPad or NI Maschine for simple piano roll/tape recorder type tasks as well.

Even though the learning curve is quite steep, you can have a lot of fun with the OT very quickly. It is extremely performance-friendly, and if you prefer to experiment and discover your sounds rather than beginning a track with a fixed idea, you will definitely enjoy it. I have not used any computer sequencer or plugin at all this year: I am 'composing' less but 'playing' much more.
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

anigbrowl wrote:
I bought an Octatrack last December, but since we also bought a house it ook some time before I could get into it Smile

It is a very, very nice combination with the G2. The MIDI implementation is quite good, so you can exert a lot of control of one machine over the other; the G2 can trigger recording and playback of samples and all realtime controls on the OT, while the OT has a simple but powerful MIDI sequencer, a programmable and scale-lockable arpeggiator, and 8 midi-synced LFOs with long cycles and programmable waveforms - exactly covering some slightly weak points of the G2. Likewise, the G2 can handle more advanced audio and MIDI processing tasks. The filter and effects on the OT are fairly simple but quite good and with their own unique character. I slightly prefer the filters and distortion effects on the OT compared to the basic Clavia modules.

Weak points: you cannot trigger samples or slices over MIDI, so if you want to use the OT like a drum machine from the G2 you need to either use 8 tracks or employ some tricks with the sample start parameter. The crossfader receives but does not send MIDI, and sadly you can't warp MIDI parameters with the scene controls at all. The manual is quite poorly written, and the interface is so minimal it can sometimes be a little unfriendly. But Elektron is a nice company, they put out bug fixes and make small usability improvements about once a month, with major updates 2 or 3 times a year.

You may or may not like the sequencer, which is very much step-based. It took me some time to get used to it and at times I miss using the RS7000 sequencer, but not the one in the Emu sampler. I am planning to sell both of these soon, I think, but I might get a Proteus module or similar ROMpler because it is still useful to have one machine with plenty of polyphony and a conventional architecture with some conventional sounds, or maybe an an iPad or NI Maschine for simple piano roll/tape recorder type tasks as well.

Even though the learning curve is quite steep, you can have a lot of fun with the OT very quickly. It is extremely performance-friendly, and if you prefer to experiment and discover your sounds rather than beginning a track with a fixed idea, you will definitely enjoy it. I have not used any computer sequencer or plugin at all this year: I am 'composing' less but 'playing' much more.

Thanks for the detailed post!

I've been intrigued by the Octatrack as a way of integrating live looping of my viola and guitar with sequencing, live remixing, etc. From what I've gathered so far, the Pickup Machine is actually easy to use once the MIDI foot pedal (for those of us who desire foot-activated looping) is set up. I've been watching Elektron's own tutorial videos and the tips videos by SecretMusicUK on Youtube and I find them very helpful for understanding some key capabilities of this machine.

I look forward to joining the G2-Octatrack owners club soon.

Some old stuff on VIRB
Page 5 of 5 [119 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: