electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Experimental
Stereo Headphones Processor
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Stereo Headphones Processor Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is a patch that I have used to make my stereo headphone listening experience a little better.

A problem with listening to many stereo recordings with headphones (with the exception of binaural recordings) is that when sounds are panned hard left or right in the stereo mix, there is a very unnatural circumstance where the sound is only heard in one ear and not the other. Normally, when listening to sound sources around us, both ears will hear the sound. Depending on the location of the sound source, one ear will get a more direct exposure, while the other a little less. This results in the ear further away from the sound source having a slightly delayed time arrival of the sound. Also, your head will affect the frequency spectrum response (e.g. for a sound source to the far right of your head, your left ear will still receive some of the sound, but it will be slightly time delayed, with a little less amplitude, along with a roll-off shaping of the high frequency spectrum). These differences in time and frequency spectrum between each ear are part of what our auditory system uses to locate sound sources in space around us.

This patch is an attempt to address this headphone listening problem by adding a time delay and frequency shaped cross-fade between the left and right stereo mix.

During recent testing of this Headphones processor patch, I used a noisemaker patch placed in the VA as a demo stereo sound source. It has extreme left and right stereo panning of sounds that I had originally patched while monitoring with stereo loudspeakers.

Wow! What a dramatic difference in sound! With headphones, Variation 7 (effect bypass) the normal stereo mix makes this demo patch sound disjointed, disconnected… But, with Variation 6, (Headphones processor engaged), the demo sound is much more integrated, resembling the sound while listening to the original stereo loudspeaker mix.

But, I don’t consider this patch to be finished (more work on the EQ of the cross-faded high frequencies (controlled by the Hi Mix knob) could be an improvement). My original goal was to patch a headphone processor that would sound more like listening to stereo music on loudspeakers, or a stereo loudspeaker mix to binaural headphones processor. This patch falls short of that goal, although I think that it still sounds much better than no processing at all. Anyway, I left this patch in an unfinished experimental phase as my need for headphone listening was drastically reduced due to my household relocation (no longer dwelling in an apartment!). So, please post what you think about the sound of this patch. Since it is still experimental, I also invite everyone’s tweaks!

I had originally patched this for use with my Sony MDR-7506 headphones, and then more recently for my Beyerdynamic DT 770 phones. This patch also includes my overall preference for headphone EQ. Of course, you should adjust this patch for your own headphones cross-talk and EQ preferences.

Patch Notes:

G2 Engine friendly level mix, assumes Master Level at maximum while using the Patch Level for volume adjustment.

External Stereo Inputs: Input 1; left channel, Input 2; right channel

Output: Headphone Jack

The morph knob settings of Variations 1 -5 are only suggested starting points for your own tweaking…

Controls Mapped to the Front Panel (A1):

Morph 1: Effect, controls a mix of the dry and wet effected sound (not including the LoBoost).

Morph 2: LoBoost, controls the level of bass frequency boost EQ.

Morph 3: Hi Mix, controls the high frequency roll-off of the crosstalk between the stereo channels.

Morph 4: X Delay, controls the cross-faded delay time between the stereo channels. Each channel uses a Clocked Delay module that is clocked at 48KHz. Each X Decay control increment increases the sample delay time about 20.833 microseconds. The maximum practical X Delay setting value is about 15.6 on the front panel display, which equals about 438 microseconds.

Variation 6: a headphones processed demo of the extremely left/right panned VA synth sounds.

Variation 7: a bypass of the headphones processor of the demo VA synth sounds.

Variation 8: total bypass. Switch between this and effected variations for a quick comparison.

Check the Editor Parameter Overview page for more front panel knob assignments.

Headphones VM.pch2
 Description:
G2 Stereo Headphones Processor

Download
 Filename:  Headphones VM.pch2
 Filesize:  5.09 KB
 Downloaded:  4664 Time(s)

dorremifasol

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds great! the demo patch is self explanatory.
I used it a bit this morning at home, I'll try better tonight. This will come handy to listen some of my old Beatles recordings Very Happy

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Works like a charm Smile

modded it a bit so it works in the demo too, as a demo only of course Wink

Added a bypass morph too on 5th knob, left is fx on, right is bypass.

Now to find out how why it works!

headphones_vm_mod.pch2
 Description:
G2 Stereo Headphones Processor - demo friendly version - original by Varice

Download
 Filename:  headphones_vm_mod.pch2
 Filesize:  5.15 KB
 Downloaded:  5274 Time(s)

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah .. I only checked it on one pair of cans ... AKG K701, could have tried DT770 too and the older AKG ... but .. I bought a pacarana toy, back to playing with that now Wink

Guess I should set up one of the G2s for signal processing ... as a mixer plugin .. soon.

On a side note, I mostly do all of my music on headphones and have noticed that this makes it sound weird on speakers at times Wink

varice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dorremifasol wrote:
Sounds great! the demo patch is self explanatory.
I used it a bit this morning at home, I'll try better tonight. This will come handy to listen some of my old Beatles recordings Very Happy

Hey, I’m glad that you like it Exclamation

Yes, this headphones processor should help with those Beatles records. Many of the first recordings and mixes done in the early days when stereo music was new have sounds panned hard left or right, which is not ideal for headphone listening.

varice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
...On a side note, I mostly do all of my music on headphones and have noticed that this makes it sound weird on speakers at times Wink

Oh yes, I made the mistake *once* of spending a few wasted hours mixing some tracks with headphones overnight (I didn’t want to disturb my apartment neighbors) only to find the next day that the mixes did not sound good at all on my 250Ti loudspeakers Evil or Very Mad

dorremifasol

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Ah .. I only checked it on one pair of cans ... AKG K701

You have a very good taste for cans Very Happy

varice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is my original G2 headphones processor patch modified to work with the G2 Demo software (G2 Demo is unable to process an external audio source, of course, so strictly demo only).

Headphones VM Demo.pch2
 Description:
Headphones VM Demo

Download
 Filename:  Headphones VM Demo.pch2
 Filesize:  5.1 KB
 Downloaded:  657 Time(s)

Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Experimental