electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
<on air> Rob Adventures in Sound
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
My Klee build and query thread
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Paradigm X

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:34 am    Post subject: My Klee build and query thread
Subject description: Edited title. (was :nervous: - now :terrified: !)
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool

Well, as mosc rightly says, even if i dont build em ill have helped EM, but i fully intend to build. Just a bit scared of all that wiring !

Oh well, its a long term project. Cool

Thanks to scott, mosc, Uncle K and all else involved.

Have to order all the bits now too i guess.

And do a lot of reading Smile

Cheers all, Ben

Last edited by Paradigm X on Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:03 am; edited 1 time in total
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 169

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Be careful, do not rush, and plan your build, especially the panel.

I love the Klee, however it was by FAR the most difficult panel I've ever come across. I can't stress enough the need to plan for the panel build.

But I also wish you the best with it. They're pretty awesome.

Home,My Studio,and another view
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 51
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If I can help out in any way, you know, like on a day to day build kinda thing, just post to this thread.
Bill and I are already here, so we should be able to help you out relatively quickly.

I still wonder whether the molex connectors were a good idea or not. Maybe if we hadn't divided the boards into Digital/Analogue, we could have reduced the number of interconnects,.... No, scrub that, there's only two interconnects anyway aren't there?
Fact is, it's a cool sequencer 'cos of the amount of panel candy involved, and, when you have heaps of panel connections, you've got a big job. But,...... I have to admit,..... It's one of the most satisying of projects that I have ever undertaken. And that was after only ever seeing the layout on the screen! Imagine what it was like to see those boards turn up in their real world version when Scott sent them to me?!?!.....
Anyway,
Yeah,... lots of connections. But like Bill said, take you're time. Let the enjoyment flow over a few of months at the very least. I took about 2 years to build mine. Wink Laughing

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And I have to add,
Enjoy that reading.
Scott's build docs are some of the most detailed, humorous, and readable build docs I've ever seen.
Enjoy,.....

Paradigm X

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome, thanks guys. Its definitely on the backburner, while i figure it out, just wanted to grab the boards before i got cold feet. Looks like such a unique and inspiring sequencer.

Im definitely going to print off the manual (huge !) and read it thru before i even start ot think about it, and read up thru this whole forum too. Already been seeing some awesome panels, godric's blue circular one looks amazing !

Ive built a few things but nothing this big, im pretty good at researching first and taking my time.

So yeah, im sure ill be back Wink

Many thanks, kind regards

Ben
Paradigm X

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok,

So ive read the huge build docs (very cool.). Ive also read the two hige 50 odd page threads, which are full of useful information and hints.

So im really interested in getting going, HOWEVER, im well aware this is going to be a long, (expensive!) build, so no rush whatsoever.

Im just wondering what peoples views are on circular sequencers. Ive never used one before. They 'look' cool but cant decide if that's just gimmicky, or if its musically useful.? Anyone got any thoughts on that? It will make the build a bit easier, as I have a template panel, and also it will involve pots rather than sliders (easier to mount).

The other alternative is a linear one, but with sliders.

Ive also got a few 4034s off ebay, 2 toshiba tc4034, 3 MCI4034s and a SGS (i think) one (not got in front of me).

Ill have to space out the spending, need to buy connectors (not got any at all yet), the switches, the pots/sliders, the panel, and even the wire ! Laughing all still quite new, so itll be at least 4 months before im ready to tackle this in earnest.

But think the A-B and B_A mods will be a simple (!) and useful mod, not sure about others yet.

Thinking out loud as much as anything else. But really looking forward to it. But any feedback on anything would be useful.

Many thanks.

Cheers, Ben
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd have to agree with Uncle K; the most problem I have had have been with the Molex connectors, mainly because I just suck at putting them together. If you don't have any qualms with it, just solder the wires in, instead.
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, I soldered every molex connection. Rolling Eyes
It's laborious, but it's also reassuring to know that you won't have to track down a bad crimp later. Mine worked perfectly first power up (except for some backward switches) so I saw all that work as well worth the effort.

Paradigm X

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, ive never made one of those yet (edit : a molex connection Wink.

Im just at the point with a load of pcbs that need them, all stuff but not wired up. Im going to buy a pile of the required bits when i get paid next week. Then practise on these other ones.

Edit2:

On another note, i notice how much easier it is to wire this thing up using banana sockets rather than jacks. Now ive only just started my modular and as mentioned above, i have a load of pcbs ready to go bar the wiring.

I was all set to go banana but i had an issue with a drum machine, rykhaards liquid hihat, where the trigger wouldnt work without a ground connection, so replaced the bananas with jacks.

But that is kind of a one off, so still unsure whether to go nana or jack. The wiring on the klee may well be a defining moment Shocked Laughing

Cheers

Ben
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My Klee came out all right, more or less, but I really jacked a few of the Molex connectors on my Appendage. I still have to go in and fix'em.
Paradigm X

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Boards shipped yesterday
thebot

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Ben,

I just started my Klee build last night. I am both excited and nervous as well. But more excited. Got a public holiday here on Monday so hoping to power through it this weekend, but not going to rush it.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I'd have to agree with Uncle K; the most problem I have had have been with the Molex connectors, mainly because I just suck at putting them together. If you don't have any qualms with it, just solder the wires in, instead.

I third the motion to solder. IN fact, I crimp, then solder. Sometimes I dont even think it's the person doing the crimping that makes a crimp bad but more the tool being used. Nobody should expect a $15.00 crimp tool to do a good job at all. I know because thats what I have ... hahaha ... Thats why there are $200.00 to $500.00 crimpers out there but who the fuck is going to spend that kind of money? Solder is much cheaper and get the benifit of connectorizing (is there such a word??) everything! Much nicer Wink Good luck with the builds man!

Bill
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes,
and as well as "connectorizing" you'll have the peace of mind of knowing that all joints have been significantly deresistorised as well!

(Sorry Bill, I had to use an "s"! Smile (but you won't find it in the speller anyway! Laughing ))

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Nobody should expect a $15.00 crimp tool to do a good job at all.

Well, that isn't it then. Mine cost $16.95.

Laughing

EdisonRex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Another vote for soldering the crimp connectors (although I solder the wire before crimping...

The only problem I've ever had with those connectors was by being brain dead and putting the fingers in upside down. The don't work as well that way (the telltale part is when you insert the connector onto the header, usually the one you put in upside down pops out, or else you end up crushing the metal bit).

I ended up buying a reel of 1000 and piles of different sizes. You get pretty good after the first couple of hundred. Smile

Paradigm X

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Paradigm X wrote:
Boards shipped yesterday

how long does shipping normally take to the uk? ive had something else arrive within four days from the US, but not seen my klee boards yet in 2 weeks... Sad
EdisonRex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Howard was away for a bit, that delays the shipping. He'll take care of you, be patient. Smile

Paradigm X

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It turnedf up yesterday as it happens.! Smile

there was no criticism of Howard implied at all, or shoudlnt. It was posted when he said, it was USPS ! My wifes american and we get stuff sent all the time, 2 weeks is a bit odd.

Boads look pretty straighforward ! Laughing

I need to wait til i get paid to order stuff. I need everything wiring related, wire, headers, pins, whatever theyre called, shoulders, knees and toes.

And also youre all quite right, need to sort the panel out first. Cant decide between circular and sliders. Circular sliders could be fun Laughing

Cheers all.
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
Jump to: