electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Waldorf
Waldorf Q/XT Voice Expansion clone project (Complete)
Page 3 of 3 [74 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3

Do you want to buy a Waldorf Q voice expansion module
Yes
83%
 83%  [ 20 ]
No
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Just Spectating
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 24

sonicwarrior

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Waldorf Q Voice Expansion clone project
Subject description: Status Place holder
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

depsilon wrote:
The Motorola DSP was changed in later Yellow Qs (V2) to 56362. This is why the newer expansion (V2) will not work and will damage the V1 mainboard of a Q or any XT/XTk mainboard.

Would I have to open my yellow Q to make sure which one I have or can that be determined otherwise?
depsilon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject: Opening your Q Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, the only way to verify your mainboard is to open it up. I have opened up several Qs thinking I had an early version and only upon inspection found it was a later version.
sawanotsuru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

how are we doing atm?
depsilon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: How are we doing Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We only got 20 people that replied to the e-mail list with 19 requests for version A and 6 requests for version B. This is the same thing that happened last time - good interest at first - but then a sharp decline in requests a month later. I already PMd everyone at electro-music - you can try PMing on the other forums to ask them to declare their interest at the email address - I don't have a checklist of who mailed me vs usernames on all the forums and I am not sure who is actively monitoring our posts. If you have more ideas, that would help - let me know.
depsilon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: how are we doing Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We only got 20 people that replied to the e-mail list with 19 requests for version A and 6 requests for version B. This is the same thing that happened last time - good interest at first - but then a sharp decline in requests a month later. I already PMd everyone at electro-music - you can try PMing on the other forums to ask them to declare their interest at the email address - I don't have a checklist of who mailed me vs usernames on all the forums and I am not sure who is actively monitoring our posts. If you have more ideas, that would help - let me know.
sonicwarrior

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: how are we doing Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have not yet had the time to open my yellow Q to check which version I would need. Sad
sawanotsuru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i wonder how much it would cost to get the 50 made. i bet if we put them up for sale they would sell quick enough. would be tricky trying to guess how many of the a's and the b's need making though. these kinds of things are hard to orchestrate whichever way you approach them.
depsilon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: How much for 50? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think we are talking the $12-$15k range for 50 - to do parts, pcb layout and have someone in china bulid it. The tricky part is how much Encore charges for reverse engineering with their labor resources and testing. Also - some extra parts down on the mainboard have to be swapped sometimes depending on your synth and this does require soldering skills - I don't know how many of us are confident in our rework abilities.
caesarig

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:59 am    Post subject: want to buy Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this project still relevant?

i have micro q

thanx
SecretAsianMan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just sent an email. I want to buy an XT expansion. I don't own the XT yet, but I will buy it later and then expand it.

This is awesome! I really hope this project succeeds.
Fresh Pants

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also just sent an email for my MWXT, hoping we can get enough people to make it happen.
Cheers!

FP
depsilon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Still Relevant? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Activity has been dead since the last round of requests, but we got 5 new ones which still puts us at needing 20 more to take this to the next step - this is the count at waldorfqexpand@gmail.com only as this is the most consolidated and independent of forum posts to get a REAL count. So, Still taking requests for demand. Smile
ABTOP

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: I'm also interested in expanding my MicroQ Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I own a Micro Q and I'm very interested in purchasing this upgrade whenever it is available. tried to email "waldorfqexpand(-at-)gmail(-dot-)com", but never got a reply.

Is it installable on my version of Micro Q (see the specifications below)?
When is the ETA for this unit?
What's the price?

My micro Q specifications are:

Hardware: 111
Board #: 0148
Prod. #: 141005000264
depsilon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Making progress... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just gave out a summary spam at the waldorfqexpand gmail address - 31 requests for REV A and 9 requests for REV B. This is a confirmed count of 40 leaving 10 more required to propose the next step to Encore Electronics. Keep the request coming at the gmail address!! Thank you for your interest!!!
randoman

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: interested Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm very keen to put my name forward for a board for a rev 3.1 Microwave XTk.

I've sent an email to the address.

David K, New Zealand
sergiommms

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

selgart wrote:
I have a Q that's been expanded to 32 voices. I also have an XTk for which I'd like to get an expansion board. I'll have to check the board versions of all of those (...)

I used to own a XTK30, board revision 3.3 I think, and when I sold it, I kept the voice expansion (V1.0)
A few months ago I bought a mint boxed XTK (!) and today finally got the time to test-install the expansion.
I must say I was scared when I saw the board revision (1.1)... but all I had to do was remove a jumper from the rightmost pins of the connection header and bolt the expansion on. It works!
radar23

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

I've replied to the email today..

I'm super keen for a XT rev 3 expansion board! Excellent work team Waldorf!

radar23
depsilon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Waldorf Q Expansion
Subject description: Project Update - Your action required

Hello everyone,

It has been a long time since an update but here is the status.

We need Temporary Loaner Donor systems from volunteers.

Tony at Encore is working on multiple new projects. As such he would need four to six months with a synthesizer that has a working expansion to reverse engineer.

We are asking for any of the following:

A 30 Voice XT or
A 32 Voice Q or
A 75 Voice Micro Q.

The preference is for rack, but if all we can get is keyboards, we will take those. All shipping would need to be coordinated and the utmost care taken of the donated hardware to be returned unmolested. Details about where to ship the hardware will be provided once the donor list is generated.

Most people are demanding XT and Gen1 Q expansion modules so if you want to temporarily donate a Q for the XT effort, the serial number must start with a 1 and not a 2 or 3. for example: 019782353 is a good serial range and 023565656 or 032676367 is for a gen 2 expansion that only works in gen 2 Qs and micro Qs.

Reply with your interest and questions - This begins phase 2 - Donor systems and reverse engineering.
matmat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is an excellent news! Kepe up the good work, I can't wait to have my hands on an expansion!
depsilon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Phase 3 of clone expansion project has begun
Subject description: I have sent off XT and Q expanded systems to Encore for reverse engineering

Status Update:

Thank you for those volunteers that were open to donating your expansions.

I have found expanded models of XT and Q rev 2.x and have shipped them to Encore for reverse engineering.

Phase 3 is engaged - If we can get replacement DRAM and DSP, we should begin our burn-in phase in 3-4 months. If all goes well, we should have both expansion versions available in about 6 months.

Thank You for your support of this project and your interest. If modules become available, they will be sold directly through Encore Electronics. (Link will be provided when/if expansions are available)

FLASH - Per user requests a special email account has been setup for requesting the expansion module:

waldorfqexpand@gmail.com

If you are still interested (whether or not you have posted) Please send a message with the following info:

1- Your XT or Q version
2- How many modules you want
3- Your location (country-state)

I have found photos of rev1 and rev2 XT boards that are NOT expandable. Rev1 and Rev2 XTs are NOT expandable and do NOT have 2-rows of pins on the top side of the mainboard - Photos below. When XT owners originally sent their XTs in for voice upgrade service at Waldorf or an authorized service center, if your XT mainboard was Rev1 or Rev2, they upgraded your mainboard to Rev3 and added a Rev 1 expansion module. Then they migrated your old EEPROM with serial number to the upgraded XT mainboard.

I have been looking for voice expansion modules for my Q-Rack, they are hard to find now and the Waldorf distributors are tapped out.

I found a company in the US called Encore Electronics that is willing to produce a lot of 50 or more of these units, but there are 4 caveats:

1- Confirmed 50-100 or more buyers (Completed)

2- A Q and XT synthesizer with expansion module to reverse engineer. (Provided)

3- Development lead time of about 3-6 months. (Subject to parts availability)

4- Module price is estimate around $400-$500.

You may provide your First Name, last initial and location to confirm if you are interested.
depsilon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:56 pm    Post subject: Status Update:
Subject description: XT Shipping now, Q soon to follow :)

Status Update:

We are shipping the XT expansion now - It is tested and working $399 plus shipping, Limited QTY so act fast before we run out!!!

Here is the link -

http://www.encoreelectronics.com/cont_product.html

Phase 4 of XT expansion complete moving on to Phase 3 of the Q expansion coming soon (3-4mo) Timeframe.
HouseCat

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a question.
Does Q rack motherboard is interchangable with Q keyboard ?

And does revision matter ?
Let's say in a Q rack the rev of mother board is 3,
and in a Q Keyboard is 1.

I remember that in a Q keyboard also there's a revision number of
encoder control board, interesting is it possible
to fit a mobo rev 3 board to an old Qk where all boards are rev 1 ?
rayzr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does this happen to be still on going? I have a Microwave XT board #3.

It looks as though someone has listed an original expansion board for the XT on ebay, but $1,000 is a bit rich for my blood.
radar23

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Encore stopped these years ago and don't reply to emails, so this project is dead and short lived..
but there are other options available
Page 3 of 3 [74 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Waldorf
Jump to: