electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Freeform Lunetta Sculptures
Page 5 of 5 [111 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Brilliant, Nathan.

nathanxl wrote:
Mind you this video was recorded acoustically with binaural microphones straight into the camera... I was experimenting with natural stereo recording.

Listened with headphones and with the AmbiophonicDSP. The later makes it sound like it is in the room. How far away were the mics from the sculpture?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
nathanxl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey thanks Mosc.
I dont know what Ambiophonic DSP is but perhaps it is changing the signal somehow.
The binaural mics were situated inside the instrument.
There is some degradation of the effect when importing into youtube
While the recordings were not as good as I expected, with headphones you(at least I) can still make out the strings in different spaces around your head in the video
amicoleo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi everybody! This is my very specie lunetta synth. It's definitely free form, and it uses lettuce leaves for controlling oscillators' frequency and as summing resistors. There are four 40106 inverters, a 4014 shift register as a frequency divider, a 4011 nand gate for amplitude modulation and finally a 4051 mux switch between different sounds. I have a video here showing how it sounds with fresh/not-so-fresh leaves http://vimeo.com/64051542.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You might try the pickup system that DrJustice and I developed. Just put a neodymium super magnet near each string, then amplify the tiny current that it develops when it vibrates over the string. One way to do it would be to hook all the strings in series then use just one amp (or in parallel).

Les

nathanxl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@ Amicoleo. Your lettuce lunetta is ace, I wonder if different veggies will give different results...
Inventor wrote:
You might try the pickup system that DrJustice and I developed. Just put a neodymium super magnet near each string, then amplify the tiny current that it develops when it vibrates over the string. One way to do it would be to hook all the strings in series then use just one amp (or in parallel).
Les

Thanks Les.
Yes, I wound my own super magnet pickups(I guess similar to your developements) for each string hoping that the signal would be strong enough to put each signal through different effects. It wasnt so, Preamplification is needed before the effects units. I want each string to be run seperately through effects/filters/comparators so a preamp is needed for each string rather than summing them all and them amping the mixed signal...
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is entirely different from wound pickups. You place neodymimum supermagnets under the strings. no coils zero coils. the strings vibrate in the strong (much stronger than pickups) magnetic field and generate a current that travels ALONG THE LENGTH OF THE STRING. then you amplify the signal with an opamp.

Les

amicoleo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@nathanxl

Yeah! The system's output is fairly unpredictable, so any change related to the speed of the decay is definitely affecting the sound.
nathanxl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:
... You place neodymimum supermagnets under the strings. no coils zero coils. the strings vibrate in the strong (much stronger than pickups) magnetic field and generate a current that travels ALONG THE LENGTH OF THE STRING. then you amplify the signal with an opamp.

Les, could you point me to info/links/schemos of your explorations?
Id like to give it a bash.

@amecolio. Any video of your veggie synth in action?
RingMad

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll provide the link to Les' guitar pickup idea, since I remembered where it was: http://reinventor.wordpress.com/2011/07/25/guitar-reinvention/ . I'm not sure if there were any other places it was discussed...

Anyway, the idea is interesting, and it's been on my pile of things-to-try-one-day ever since he posted that. And I'd be curious to see what you develop with it, nathanxl.

James.
cpt.credible

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Copper wire Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What kind of wire are you guys using and from whence might i obtain it?
DUBmatze

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Copper wire Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cpt.credible wrote:
What kind of wire are you guys using and from whence might i obtain it?
i like to use the stuff from electronic scrap
when i buy some i use 0,14mm² or 0,25mm²
Page 5 of 5 [111 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: