electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  PHOBoS presents Sim Biosys (EM mix)
  PHOBoS Tales of the Golden Teacher
  PHOBoS presents Music by Hrastprogrammer (feat. Terence McKenna)
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
g2 knobs (encoders) problem.. help?
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
goldenMaster

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: g2 knobs (encoders) problem.. help? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One of the encoders (the first, to the very left) on my g2 has started to bug out--the values don't change, or change very slowly when I turn it. Before I crack it open and try messing around with it, I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and there is a quick solution. I was able to easily fix a suck key a while back by just cleaning out the inside of the keyboard.

From the look of the board, I'm not sure if it's so easy to get at the insides of the encoders to clean them.

Also, my mod wheel has been acting funny... when I turn it too close to the maximum value, it kind of wobbles and switches to the minimum value!

I guess I've been gigging with the g2 too much... Confused
Estarriol

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, dying G2 encoder #1 is normal, it gets used too much. You can NOT disassemble it without soldering it from pcb board -- even if you cut the 4 plastic holder buttons off, you just can not take the bottom off because it is soldered to the pins. So, to repair OR change it you will have to solder.

But good news: if you do it right, you will get your encoder easily replaceable. All you have to do is:
1. order ECW0J-C24-EE0024L or ECW0J-C24-BE0036 at Mouser (I use the latter, because it is more similar to original one).
2. get jumper wires like this: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/single-port-female-to-female-jumper-wire-set-50-pack-20cm-length-55454
3. take a mighty soldering iron

All you have to do is:

1) take off the cap and unscrew the encoder holding nut

2) take the iron and unsolder the pins RIGHT ON THE ENCODER, do not even go close to the PCB. Use vacuum solder remover to get rid of the solder, you will need the pins clean. You will need a mighty iron because you have to get all the solder all through the encoder plate hot and melting, and this is kinda hard if you have 25W iron or something like that. Maybe someone correct me, but I could not unsolder pins from any Bourns encoders I have with 25W iron...

3) So you made pins going from the PCB clear, remove the encoder, and if the pins are clean and smooth, just install any of the beforementioned encoders and connect them with the cables.

There may be some underwater stones: the main idea is do not harm the pcb, so if the soldering iron is too much, it will warm not only the encoder soldering, but all the pins up to the PCB... I think this hardly can happen if you're fast because those pins will tend to get cold fast enough... so be cautios.

Hope it helped.
goldenMaster

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you!! That was an extremely helpful post. I don't have a powerful soldering iron, but I have a few friends with electronics skills--so this should be an easy fix, with your instructions and some help from one of them! Thanks so much!
Estarriol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It recently occured to me that I've misleaded you. Probably you should just CUT the encoder pins as high as possible, so you'll have the pins clear and ready to have cables put on. Soldering is not so covinient and those efforts are no use. Hope you've figured it out by yourself by now.
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: