electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
16 Step Sequencer Quantized Vari-Clock Module
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
ashleym

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: 16 Step Sequencer Quantized Vari-Clock Module Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/forums.html?CATPARTNO=&PROJARG=SEQUENCER_VARICLOCK%2FSEQUENCER_VARICLOCK.php&MAINTAB=SYNTHDIY&VPW=1269&VPH=550

Ray kept this one quiet. Looks really really useful.

Any thoughts?
marvkaye

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ray is a real wizard, isn't he? He just keeps grinding out cool stuff. I'm sure this will be another one added to my backlog once he starts making PCBs available. Lots of cool functionality there. Thanks for pointing it out.

<marv>
Skrog Productions

Audio files: 155

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This looks a fun addition to an existing 16 step seqencer , tho i'll be making a new panel for mine , almost like an expanded version of the RYK M-185 sequencer, this will be great for backing rhythms for my music.
I wonder if the stages per step can be modded to 1 - 8 using a rotary switch (which usually have 12 poles) , just thinking aloud there , the pots for step length are probly the best option spacewise.

Good add on Ray , i like this Smile

Dave.
diablojoy

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

damn that is good
i have 2 MFOS 16's in my backlog
will definitely be adding this to them.

as good an answer as any
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah... I don't like the binary display in the bottom left corner though. I guess this could be replaced.
ashleym

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The current layout doesnt appear to work best for live updating. As suggested by Dave a mechanical switch might be best. If the switch points at 4 steps, then it is four steps with no looking at the LEDs. You can also alter more than one step at a time. I need to read the circuit explanation as I dont know if the system stores the value for each step or "reads" it fresh each time. If it is a new read then the mechanical switch would work.

Also if there is a new read each step then could there be an option to apply a CV to each step to set the step length. Not a new one for each step as that is what we are already doing but doing a sweep to increase and decrease the step length? I had some thoughts a while back about have a voltage controlled clock for the sequencer speed but this wouldnt give an accurate quantised inter step rate (if you understand!!)

Finally, it would be pretty easy to add a 7 segment display. U4 on schematic page 1 has the 4 binary outs for the LEDs and you could take a feed from that. Ray's circuit uses the brightness of the LEDs to determine the accuracy of their setting, we might have to keep this or we could use better quantising?

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_6/chpt_7/9.html
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi guys

A 7 segment numerical led display would look really good , if that was too difficult to implement i'm definatly reading up to see if i can use 8 position rotary switches , using different resistors to emulate the voltages needed for selecting the length i want .

Keep these ideas coming , DIY gold Very Happy heh.

I've built a few different designers pcb's over the years but keep coming back for Ray's cool products.

Dave.
(off to read the diagram & pdf's again ) Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
diablojoy

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

7 segment display sounds good also switch selection rather than pots i like much better and very easy to do 1 to 12 volts scaled. would need to rework that out for a +15 volt supply.
voltage control would be orsm and not too hard to add i think depending on whats actually in place - need to go over those schematics a bit more
edit : not hard to add individuals but a bit more circuitry required to do a overall single cv in though
i wonder how this thing would handle a quickly varying clock rate and pulse width though as all of my clocks do this one way or another
perhaps you cant have everything we shall see.

as good an answer as any
sompost

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Are there any affordable rotary encoders that could be used for that purpose? Apparently there are ones that return absolute values (instead of "ticks") when rotated.

Otherwise I'd perhaps go with a 8 (or more) position rotary switch and an LED display for indicating duration, as suggested above. In general I prefer keeping "number stuff" digital.

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi folks.

I had a quick scan at the plan and the step length duration works with the pots wired as simple voltage dividers , so , for my design i think i will wait till i get the pcb ,set the trimmer half way , wire up one pot to to measure , with a multimeter, the voltage from the wiper ( middle tag) and note down what voltage readings change the step length.
Then work out what resistors i will need for my rotary switches (1 clock length to 8 clock length per step will do me fine) then omit the 4 display leds , leaving me with visual indication of where the rotary's are set on the panel sticker .

Sound as a pound Very Happy .

Dave.
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If for correct operation the leds are required somehow i can just stick them on a bit of stripboard tucked inside the box Smile but i think it will be ok without them.

Dave
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: