electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Evolution of music by public choice
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Evolution of music by public choice Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Evolution of music by public choice --> there

Too bad there are no audio examples.

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

but there are tunes, midirus reads better than me : http://soundcloud.com/uncoolbob/sets/darwintunes/
JingleJoe

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That is incredible Surprised ... how could one make an evolving lunetta?

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm ... you'd have to start by figuring out how the can have sex I guess .. for a computer program that's virtual so not too difficult .. but for circuits ... hmm .. I did see some nice 3D building here on the forum lately .. maybe that could be a start ...

Listened to some of the tunes now, and maybe this was to be expected, but I like the unevolved ones best Laughing

[Q]

Audio files: 57

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
I like the unevolved ones best Laughing

Very Happy
Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Hmm ... you'd have to start by figuring out how the can have sex I guess

Evolution by pubic choice, then.

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I suppose we could implement a very simple genetic algorithm in digital form. After all any software algorithm can exist in hardware. Let's see... one shift register for each member of the population with an 8 bit gene code would be a start. Mating circuit selects randomly one bit from either parent eight times. Figure of Merit would be user input. Acceptance function some boolean algebra. It can be done with say 20 or 30 chips perhaps.

Les

brock

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Listened to some of the tunes now, and maybe this was to be expected, but I like the unevolved ones best

There sure was a lot more variety in the unevolved ones than with the live feed. I've had it playing for 10 minutes now and it sounds like "Switched On Muzak".

Is forcing to the average evolutionary? Can a unique sound survive in this environment or will it be voted out of existence? I heard only one loop with a unique sound, loop 28 has a noise burst. Most of it is very homogenous now.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Brock, I have often pondered your question and have come up with an answer over the years. The answer is that in order for human society to have survived, the vast majority of tasks performed by people are mundane and average. Only a rare occasional spark of creativity is required. This is also why the creative are persecuted and why people copycat like fashion and adore Hollywood stars. It's all about copying each other for the survival of the species. Yet somehow in the midst of this sea of average there is a wonderful sparkling irregularity that is also admired despite the constant criticism. This is why the music took that form.

Les

brock

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Les, I agree with you that creativity is not required of the masses in society. I suspect a stronger force in the general trend to average is the desire of most to conform as they cannot deal with the criticism or stigma of being different. Maybe that's two sides of the same coin? I think we have diversity due to the large population; the vastness allows new or different ideas, styles or concepts to emerge and survive on the fringes, perhaus expand and thrive over time.

My questions were more directed at the evolutionary music environment and whether new or different sounds can survive in that environment. The population is small, 99 loops maximum, and I suspect the voting population is small and not very diverse too. It does not sound to me as if there have been many Lunetta makers or Ornette Coleman fans voting to influence the evolution of those sounds.

I wonder if it's possible for the electro-music.community to influence future populations? Perhaps pick a couple of identifiable sounds such as the noise burst in loop 22 and the harpsicord sound that is in a few of the loops - I can't think of any other really identifiable sounds - and vote them up, and pick a couple of the most bland loops and vote them down unless they acquire a unique sound? Maybe not. I can't stand listening to the live feed for very long.

Jan, thanks for posting these links. Very interesting.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

brock, I suspect they are two sides of the same coin, or two sides of a 20 sided dice roll, lol. Anyway all part of the same picture.

See this thread:

http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-54121.html

for our hardware attempt at a similar experiment.

Les

Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: