electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 FAQ
Osc Phase Issue
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Chrono

Audio files: 37
G2 patch files: 38

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Osc Phase Issue Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Im stumbling on some problems when comparing the playability of the NMG2 and the Access Virus A.

so imagine 2 osc's connected to a Xfade. And in this case using 8 polyfonic Voices. OSC 2 is very slighlty detuned for the phase changes to become noticable.

NMG2: if u trigger a melody with just 1 key pressed at a time
the phase jumps around like changing its position everytime you press another or the same key.

Virus A: if u trigger a melody with just 1 key pressed at a time or repeat the same note. the phase moves without jumping to different positions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
(for reference)
This problem won't happen in the NMG2 if voices are set to MONO.

When holding 1 key on the access virus and pressing a 2nd, then the phase changes its step. Noticable if you release the 2nd key again.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

test patch is in the attachement
progress so far:
if the patch is reinitialized the technique works on 1 key
but after pressing more different notes the phase starts jumping to
different possitions again.

(solution should work with polyfonic setting)

I hope someone can help with this one!

NMG2 _ Access Virus A Phase.mp3
 Description:
Audio Reference of the problem
1st: NMG2 ,2nd Virus A, 3th NMG2 detuned, 4th Virus A detuned.

Download
 Filename:  NMG2 _ Access Virus A Phase.mp3
 Filesize:  572.97 KB
 Downloaded:  1107 Time(s)

OSC Virus Phase-test01.pch2
 Description:
simple test structure

Download
 Filename:  OSC Virus Phase-test01.pch2
 Filesize:  1.46 KB
 Downloaded:  4365 Time(s)

ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The G2 only has the one poly key assign mode, which will always trigger a new 'voice' every time a key is pressed. Sad
Most early voice allocation synthesizers offered a choice of 3 poly modes. The virus might to, or perhaps they just chose a different fixed mode.

You can cheat in a limited way by using a single OscShpB with the double saw mode and a saw lfo modulating the shape 100%. The lfo rate then becomes your detune amount and you can select the Mono mode on the lfo. This will force all voices to have the same phase offset while the phase is still free moving.
Only good for that two saw 50:50 sound though.
Chrono

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i see! , but still its strange the Logic "NAND"GATE manges to do it the right way for a moment.

just after a couple notes the more jumping occurs. I think that has something to do with the amount of voices, so the phase does not know wich one to choose and just jumps around.

It also seems to jump around quicker if u press notes further away from eachother.

I just cant think of an obvious solution to make it fixed.

It might need some serious brainwork to find this solution. but im sure there should be one.

i do not doubt your knowledge, ill have a try with the Shape osc. But it's main purpose is to work on every osc with a sync input.
Roland Kuit

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 127

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And if you take an osc with a sync input. The keyboard module gate out to sync in osc.? Also LFOB module can by reset by the gate out of the KB module. So you can leave it on Poly On, when modulating the Shape osc.
varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The problem that you describe is caused by the polyphonic “rotate” voice allocation mode of the G2. As Ian pointed out above in his post, the G2 *always* assigns each new note event to another available poly voice. But, just like a real poly analog synth, the free running oscillators in each voice of the G2 are phase independent. So, for a voice allocation scheme that always selects another voice for each new note, it will force the revelation of the phase differences of the oscillators in each poly voice, which you (along with others, including myself) notice as a problem.

The solution would be for the G2 to have an option for a more natural poly voice allocation mode “repeat”, where repeated notes are assigned to the same poly voice. Apparently, the Virus synth sound that you posted is based on a “repeat” mode.

Many poly synths have an option to select between voice allocation modes. I sure wish that the G2 also had these options. The default G2 poly “rotate” voice allocation mode limitation was discussed long ago. The last post by Dave Peck in this linked topic describes *very well* why it is *not* desirable to be limited only to the “rotate” mode:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-15459.html

Chrono

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for that!
makes it more clear to understand the voice allocations compared with eachother.

I will post my G2-> Virus A patch soon.
just need to reduce some Cycles/Memory to fit all functions.
i will put that in the Synth section.
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 FAQ
Jump to: