electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Introduce Yourself
Electro-Musician from Finland
Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
salo-t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Electro-Musician from Finland Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello!

I am an aspiring electro-musician from Finland, who has experimented
within various genres.

I try to find my own way of making music, whatever it is.. Sometimes
I like to write a nice melodic piano piece, sometimes I like to make
weird chaotic noises.

I have just finished my first "serious" musical job: a music/sound
designing for a dance piece, a mix of acoustic and electronic sounds,
Most of them from Micro Modular. (I LOVE that machine.. I'd get G2
immediately, had I the money.. alas, I'm a poor student.. Sad )
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome Glad to have you here.

We have several members for Finland.

I visited your country back in 1988. I had a wonderful time. We rented a car and spent about two weeks driving around the country. People were universally very friendly and very hospitable. That's the way people on this forum are too.

Welcome aboard.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Electro-Musician from Finland Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

salo-t wrote:
I try to find my own way of making music, whatever it is.. Sometimes I like to write a nice melodic piano piece, sometimes I like to make
weird chaotic noises.

hey! you fit in here.
welcome Very Happy
Ponk

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Juu, tervetuloa vaan minunkin puolestani. Laita ihmeessä jotain musiikkia ihmisten kuultavaksi tuonne Online Music -osioon.

[For all of you non-Finnish speakers (are there any? Wink), I just said "hello". You didn't miss anything crucial.]
salo-t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you and kiitos. I feel welcome Very Happy

Mosc, It's nice that you liked Finland, be sure to visit here again. 1988 was quite a some time ago.
salo-t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ponk, do you happen to live in the capital area? You are welcome to see the dance work I mentioned. It will be performed in Stoa at the end of
this week.

More info here:
http://kulttuuri.hel.fi/stoa/ohjelma/synapsi_fi.html

Of course, everyone else who lives/happens to be around here is invited. Anyway,I will put the music online some time next week,after the performances are over.
Ponk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, I live in Helsinki, too.

I have never seen modern dance (except from television), but since you invited me, I decided to come and check it out.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Please give us a review of this dance performance. Many of us would like to hear how it went.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ponk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't know about that. As I said I know nothing about modern dance. I know that I don't have to know about it to like it (or dislike it), but it can be hard to describe it without being able to compare it to anything. But of course I can try to say something...
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It is hard to describe without comparing, but give it a go...

Last edited by mosc on Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Salo-ti!
welcome

Modern dance can be pretty interesting stuff.

I don´t know what you are going to see, but if you wanna read some about this, you can just as well start with Merce Cunningham

This is an interesting interview:
http://www.thirteen.org/bucky/merce.html

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merce_Cunningham

Audio files at UBUWEB: http://www.ubu.com/sound/cunningham.html

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Ponk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I went to see this "Synestesia" dance performance and I have to say I'm surprised of how much I actually liked it. Mostly of course because I like to not understand art. It makes me feel I'm in front of something bigger than just the every day life, when art makes me ask myself questions like "What is this?", "Why is it made like that?" or "Does the artist want to say something with this?". Laughing That's why I am a fan of all things surreal.

But that isn't all there is to this performance. The music and the movement of the dancers seem to be commenting on each other. I mean the dancers don't just obey what the music orders them to do. The dancing adds a lot to the music and viceversa. Traditional dancing tends to be simply following the rhythm of the music, but in this performance the music had to listen to the dancers, too. (Whatever I mean by that.)

I liked the strong feeling of waiting in the beginning of the piece. It reminded me of the plays by Samuel Beckett. The dancers are sitting and moving on the stage not facing the audience and the music is sounding like something is just about to happen. But it doesn't. The stillness of this part is very impressive.

The later, faster moving parts, are also very good. I liked the part resembling drum and bass (or something like that) very much as well as the end part with noise (maybe musically the strongest one). Perhaps the one detail of the dancing I think is the best is the part in which two of the dancers repeated the same complex patterns several times. The movement is like it has been looped and edited with rewind and fast forward effects.

Anyway, thanks to salo-t and the dancers for "Synestesia"! I might just go and see another modern dance performance some day. Wink
salo-t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, Thank you for coming to see this performance. Your comments are ivery interesting, and it seems to me that you got the point of the work. If it stimulated your senses and made you think about how to relate it to your own experiences, it worked.

If you try desperately to make sense of it and try to find some narrow interpretation, you only become frustrated. This is why people don't often get abstract art.
salo-t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm.. perhaps I could elaborate a bit what I meant in my last post.

Some time ago I talked with a person who had seen a modern dance performance for the first time in his life. He actually wanted to see Swan Lake, but had to go to see the modern work instead.

He told me that he left after a while, in the middle of the performance, because he could not make any sense of it.

I think he had a wrong approach. When confronted with an abstract work of art, or an unknown form of art, one should explore what kind of thoughts, images and emotions the art evokes in him/her, and make a personal interpretation based on these observations.

Or something like that.. Rolling Eyes
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Unfortunately, it takes a bit of experience to approach art that way. I'm sure the next time this fellow sees a modern dance performance he'll find it more accessable.

We all come at art and life from a point of view which can filter out and diminish our ability to fully appreciate art and life. If we realize that there is no TRUE point of view, and there there are many points of view of equal value, then we are in fat city. When we are experiencing art or life in a blocked or upset way, we can change our point of view on the fly. Acutally, experimental art can be great because it can show us new points of view.

salo-t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have to agree with the things you pointed out, mosc. I realize it is not fruitful to judge anyone's understandment of art, and I for one am not in a position to do that.

This is quite a complicated subject, and artists have also often themselves been responsible for creating prejudices towards their art.

And didn't someone actually argue that "if it's art, it's not for everyone" ?
Ponk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Understanding is overrated anyway. Very Happy

I know I'm not stating anything that hasn't been stated before, but:

Art is art. It doesn't have to mean anything. Some people may like it, others may hate it, but it's not what makes it art. Art is art, because it is art. Nothing less, nothing more.

What I like about any kind of art is that it doesn't have to explain itself to be valuable.
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ponk wrote:

What I like about any kind of art is that it doesn't have to explain itself to be valuable.

it seems 'art' can communicate beyond words and definitions...maybe we see it with our 'third eye'

Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Introduce Yourself
Jump to: