electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
TR-808 Voice STRIP Boards...
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 6 of 12 [278 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 Next
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing Excellent! I'm glad it has worked for you.

Yes there are cuts all over the place. It's not easy lining them up, which would lessen the likelihood of errors during construction... but increase the size of the footprint.

You should try the cymbal sometime. I like the sound of that over them all. I've been meaning to do the hand clap sometime soon. I'm trying to get my first case of 12 panels finished. Every time I seem close to finishing, other life matters get in the way. I keep saying "two more weeks and it'll be done". Been going on for months like that! Laughing
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm going to try and put everything into a box with an arduino based step sequencer and pretend I have an 808 Smile I expect that's many months down the road, but I will likely be doing the cymbal and cowbell in the next month or so.

Edit: in the mean time, here are the hi hats...

hihats.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  hihats.mp3
 Filesize:  853.8 KB
 Downloaded:  1542 Time(s)

elmegil

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In another thread, sneakthief references this list of 808 mods:

http://midibox.org/forums/topic/15889-mb-808-first-test/?p=140364

For the hi hats, there's a replacement of the 2.7k resistors in the filters with 22K(B) pots. On this diagram that's R8 & R9.

The question I have is, what different sounds can I get from that? I can't seem to find any examples.....

Edit: DUR READ THE WHOLE THREAD DORK Embarassed
-minus-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Those hats sounds good Smile . I particularly like the sound at the beginning. Is that achieved with the accent? My hats sound more like the second half of your clip.
elmegil

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the first not quite half is the closed hat, and yes, that's done with the accent.

Edit:

In both cases I believe I was driving it from the test bass drum sequence I set up on my arduino:

int BDSeq[] = { 1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 1 };

And here's the accent sequence:

int ACSeq[] = { 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 1, 1 };

The the open hat I varied the decay value, obviously enough.

I have a shield on the arduino that takes the base clock and the accent signal (including the pot which is on the shield) and uses the same circuitry as the original to generate the trigger out. Might be different transistors, but the same basic stuff anyway.
-minus-

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd like to be able to have some way of sequencing this like a real 808. Arduino scares me as I'm a complete novice with code and whatnot. I just don't think my brain is wired that way.

It would be great if a pcb with a coded chip was available to handle the sequencing part. And a run of individual voice boards wouldn't go astray. I'd imagine something like this would have interest within the community. It's a matter of getting the right group of people to get something like this happening. Be nice to have an alternative way of making the 808 available to the DIY people out there. I think stripboard puts people off a bit actually.
elmegil

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There are MIDI Box projects that could do this (leaving out the obvious one of much contention even Smile ).

Ultimately I want to use the Arduino as the heart of a sequencer much more like the 808. But ultimately theirs was a microcontroller too, so it won't be possible to do without something like the Arduino. Can't remember offhand whether the MIDI Box stuff uses Arduino or PICs, but it's the same idea.

Right now though, the shields for the Arduino are preliminary steps, and the bits I cited above are just for testing. It was easiest to show the sequence by cut & paste though....

The main reason the stripboard doesn't put me off is because I don't have the stuff/don't want the mess necessary for etching my own PCBs. I have a CNC mill to solve that with a more manageable kind of mess on my project list, but it'll be a while I think because there are some logistical problems with attaching motors to drive screws that I don't have a good solution for.
elmegil

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So I have a piece of 10.5" x 8" aluminum left over as a spare from another project, so I was trying to think how I'd lay things out with my arduino controlled 808. The fact that I re-ordered the voices would probably drive someone familiar with the original crazy, but aside from the accent, they're somewhat in the order I would expect them to be used--with the exception that I've grouped the cymbal family so the cowbell is over with them instead of at the far end where it belongs Smile.

The circles across the top would be LEDs for each voice (blinky lights!), and the circles below the LCD display are momentary switches. The idea being that the sequencer interface would mostly involve pressing an appropriate button and turning the rotary. With no button pressed it would move the cursor from step to step, at which point the "set" button would turn that step on for the current instrument.

Currently missing are start/stop, reset, and clear buttons which I think should probably stand on their own somewhere in the open space to the left.

Edit: attaching the picture helps....

808-panel.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  354.17 KB
 Viewed:  501 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

808-panel.jpg

sneakthief

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Re. sequencers: Why reinvent the wheel?

14 drum tracks + 2 accent tracks, open source, arduino:
http://www.beat707.com/w/

And something else arduino-ish but totally gonzo with a colour LCD:
http://arduinoprx.de/forums.html?page=4&obj=30;

elmegil

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Because I'm stubborn and I haven't yet found one of these projects that I can read and understand and be confident that I won't be wasting my money to buy? Very Happy

Because I have ideas for the sequencer I want to explore (the stuff using a rotary in particular)?

I'd say about 2/3's or better of why I do this is for the DIY part.

I'll give those two a look, though I have already looked at Beat707 before.

Edit: Beat707 is out of stock and there is no way I'm in a position to make that board myself even being open source--too much smd, not interested in a one-off fab house build. Trying to use their code with my own hardware seems like an exercise in vast frustration....
sneakthief

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I looked at the Beat 707 schematics - you're going to have to do something very similar, except with the addition of trigger outs. Not sure why you think it's inappropriate - it simply has buttons, trigger ins, LEDs and an LCD.

The code is pretty clean. At the very least I recommend that you look how they handle the data and midi timing. This is really essential to get the low-jitter and accuracy of an 808 sequencer.

elmegil

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I didn't say anything about "inappropriate"....wasting my money would be by getting something that doesn't suit me, not that it's bad at all.

Let's look at their board:

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

There is no way I could get anything reasonably sized that duplicated all that without using SMD. I'm not tooled for it, and aside from a couple handfuls of 1206 bypass caps, I don't even have the components.

"Simply has..." ha ha. To get that into a single arduino takes a fair bit of glue in the form of I2C multiplexors etc. And yes, indeed, I will have to do something similar, except that I'm not planning to provide a "keyboard" of buttons, which is I was talking about using the display, a rotary, and a single button for. Maybe in the end that won't work out, but I'm going to figure that out the hard way.

I do think I'm likely to look over their code, I appreciate that, but it's not something I can just adopt.

If I wanted to do it off the shelf, I'd be buying some of the many much smaller than stripboard sized voices as well, rather than spending my time with this thread.

This is a case where I have more time than money, more interest in learning than buying off the shelf, and different ideas about how I think it ought to work anyway. (Here's where someone points out that Monome I posted in the gear thread, which I got used, not full price, and is really a blank slate with a raft of other possibilities rather than a single purpose item).
elmegil

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Let me back up a minute:

I have no intent to "clone" an 808, if that's what anyone thinks I'm after. I want the sounds, but I have no attachment, for or against, the sequencer. I think it has more buttons than I'm likely to want to try to interface to an Arduino core, for example.

My intent is to build the voice boards and develop my own sequencer for my own satisfaction, then I will likely share and see if anyone cares. I mostly expect there to be a collective yawn, since after all it's "just another sequencer".

I do want the sounds, and I do want a way to sequence them so I can actually use them, but that's as far as it goes.
LFLab

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looking at reactions in the topics for a number of sequencers, simpleseq, flopseq, triggerhappy, etc etc. I don't think there will be a "collective yawn" Very Happy
Sequencers are fun too!
duff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is there a definitive 808 bass drum strip board layout someone can point me at? I have been through a few threads and ended up here, but I am not sure if I have seen a 'final' layout in any of them or just works in progress.
Thanks for any help.
elmegil

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The 808 Kick I used, that we're discussing in this thread was from here:

http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=808&t=37646

It's been long enough that I can't say for absolute certain that it's exactly the same as what ended up on my working board though.

Another alternative is this:

https://www.tindie.com/products/jmej/808-kick-drum-clone-pcb/

A bit more spendy than stripboard, but it's a good PCB, I have one of these as well.
duff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elmegil wrote:
The 808 Kick I used, that we're discussing in this thread was from here:

http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=808&t=37646

It's been long enough that I can't say for absolute certain that it's exactly the same as what ended up on my working board though.

Thanks, I will start with this one and see what happens.

elmegil wrote:

Another alternative is this:

https://www.tindie.com/products/jmej/808-kick-drum-clone-pcb/

A bit more spendy than stripboard, but it's a good PCB, I have one of these as well.

I have seen that, but I am a bit short on PCB cash so have been trying to ignore it! I already have stripboard and components to hand so I thought I'd give one of these layouts a try first.
elmegil

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Seems like a reasonable plan Smile

I've crawled around inside this circuit a fair bit, so if you have questions, feel free to ask. I'm sure there are others around here who could help as well.
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the beautiful layouts minus! pig

I accidentally received some stripboard instead of the usual pad-per-hole perfboard, so I'm using it to make 3 cowbell clones Laughing
I'm probably gonna make one of them fixed at the original frequencies and the other two adjustable. And I'll add inputs for an external (squarewave)
source aswell. I did a test with a VCO and made a short track with it posted here.

(to tune the oscillators I used this software tuner).

3x TR-808 Cowbell Clone.jpg
 Description:
3x TR-808 cowbell clone on stripboard
 Filesize:  1.42 MB
 Viewed:  466 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

3x TR-808 Cowbell Clone.jpg

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Snaper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is it possible to get a "-minus- style" picture of the BD layout?
mrand

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

-minus- wrote:
I found that the tuning of the two oscillators sounded better to my ears when tuned higher (I think) than the frequency specified. As for the other oscillators, they are contributing to the mix of what makes the noise or sound source. How important their frequency is, is anyones guess as only the frequency of the tuneable two are specified on the original schematics.

You could either go with a close value for the capacitors, or find some circuit emulator online to find the frequency with the specified components then substitute the caps and adjust the resistors to get the specified frequency.

Or I could get my board out and do some measurements with a scope. This last option may take a little while. My scope usage is rare and when I do need to use it, it takes several Youtube videos to jog my memory as to how to operate it. Laughing My boards are awaiting an enclosure still, but it's on its way. I have a huge backlog of completed boards but I have been building panels this year and enclosures... I can dig out the boards and measure each oscillator if need be.

Hi there,
I've come up with some data which might interest people here. Using the calculator here: http://www.talkingelectronics.com/pay/BEC-2/Page49.html I calculated the six schmitt trig oscillator frequencies from the original 808 schematics. Here they are, listed top to bottom. The ones with the range are the tuneable ones used for the CB.

147-362 Hz
208-666 Hz
303 Hz
177 Hz
214 Hz
119 Hz

I don't know if there are other considerations (aside from the feedback resistor value and the cap from the input to GND) when calculating the freq of a schmitt trig osc. If there are, these numbers are probably wrong...
mrand

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've posted a recording of my hat/cymbal/cb sound source board doing its thing here, in case it's useful to anyone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vijv9ZeSRU

Super excited to tackle the rest of the hihat!
Alfredo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey -minus- please man, do you have stripboarded the rim shot/claves??
I have mine partyally working, I build that from microlarge files but the web passed away and I think there is a mistake in the pcb, same I found in some single pcb´s from microlarge!
Thanks in advance!!
Snaper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That would be great, and a proper version of the bassdrum...simply love these layouts;)
-minus-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been meaning to get back to this but haven't soldered a thing since september last year. I have boxes of synth modules soldered and bagged up, but alas, no synth. The difficult part of the climb seems to be getting panels done and a case. I was looking at the hand clap last year. Then my mother became ill and died a few weeks ago. Now it's sounding like those other 808 excuses! Laughing But seriously, I need to get some other parts of my life in order, like getting my 13 year old son back attending school so my days are freed up a bit. I haven't lost the modular dream, but it has diminished to a small flame, just a flicker of the raging furnace it once was. Sad

I will be returning to this sometime, but it will probably be a few months away. First I'll have to design some panels and get the other circuits I have behind them, or else I'll end up with more bagged stripboard modules I can't use. It is tempting to look at the rimshot schematics right now! Laughing I just don't have the time or head space right now to concentrate on it. It's been so long I'd have a hard time telling the difference between a diode and a resistor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 6 of 12 [278 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: