electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
TR-808 Voice STRIP Boards...
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 11 of 12 [278 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11, 12 Next
RyBowk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You sir are a genius
kropo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi

Wow! Adding these to build list. Could you provide couple pictures for noobs like me? How that 100nf should be added there? And noise in, it that something where the pink noise out should be connected? And can this be used with 12v?

Regards

Jake
helix_modular

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi kropo,

That's great. I think they are quite cool, even if toms aren't that highly regarded...

For the decoupling caps: ideally these should be mounted from V+ or V- to ground respectively, but you can easily get away with bypassing V+ to V- with anything between 10nF to 100nF ceramic capacitors. Just solder them on the reverse side of the terminals of the ICs (diagonally). (Keep in mind it's mirrored on the reverse side). So in this case:

TL072:
pin 4 (V-) -- cap (-||-) -- pin 8 (V+)
TL071:
pin 4 (V-) -- cap (-||-) -- pin 7 (V+)

But you can probably simply leave them out as well.

Noise IN shall be connected to Pink Noise. I added the Pink Noise Out for use with a switched jack (for use with an external noise source).

As for operation on +/-12V... cannot really say. The tuning is probably a bit off. And you would probably have to increase R252 (mid tom) to ~5k6. Just try it.

Cheers, helix
kropo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi

Thanks for fast reply. I think I got it now. Thanks.

Regards

Jake
kropo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi

Forgot to ask, should I add accent potentiometer to all modules or just one for all modules? Does it matter?

Regards

Jake
helix_modular

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There is plenty of coverage on accent in this thread already (I know it's quite a read). But roughly said, when in doubt, simply tie the accent to V+. But nearly every other configuration is possible as well: Pot for each, (switched) accent in jack with attenuator,... I'd suggest you try what works best for you.

Cheers
Late_to_the_party

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just wanted to say massive thank you to everyone in this thread. Today I finally housed my clone in a safe wooden case. The electronics have been sat waiting for this day for over a year. But I finally plugged it in and everything is working at it should (bar a little hum on the clap as the jumpers seem to be antennas.

65DA7E19-405C-4287-B258-8921EC986625.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.14 MB
 Viewed:  503 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

65DA7E19-405C-4287-B258-8921EC986625.jpeg

8B0CC125-6339-470D-9F01-D38872A55BD5.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.33 MB
 Viewed:  512 Time(s)

8B0CC125-6339-470D-9F01-D38872A55BD5.jpeg

37BA25D2-36D7-4EC3-A63C-DAEFC93B6E17.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.02 MB
 Viewed:  471 Time(s)

37BA25D2-36D7-4EC3-A63C-DAEFC93B6E17.jpeg

artilect99

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, that's a nice piece of work Apollo. Great looking panel, though it looks a bit more like a 909! Razz

I just got my snare working and am moving on to the hihats and clap/maracas next. I probably won't do all the voices but I might mount those 4 behind a 20HP panel or something.
SawSquareSine

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Trouble with Cowbell A sound sourse
Subject description: Any recommendations for how to troubleshoot?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all, I am having an issue where I get no sound from output on Cowbell A, B is working fine and I can tune with the trimpot but I get nothing from A. Does anyone happen to know the path or pin that A is derived from? Trying to troubleshoot but currently stuck, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!
bluevolvo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I see I'm late to the party but wanted to say thanks to everyone that's contributed here and now you've got me hooked as well. Built up minus' voice source/cowbell, and one of the BD's that out there...it may have been minus' from another post. Too much fun! Saw there was others posted but decided to roll my own for the learnings. I have 6 stripboards built and tested (Noise gen, LTLC, MTMC, HTHC, SNare, MAcaras) and I'd be happy to share if there's interest. Being the new guy not sure what's protocol...add to this or new post?

I REALLY want the cymbals now. Also have the super simple DR55 rimshot sounds more clave-y to me but I like it for the couple dollars it cost

Nice forum. This is gonna cost me a ton of cheap parts...
bluevolvo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not sure what my noob posting privs are, so here's a test money shot of the 3 T/C and Noise Gen

IMG_20200204_073255247.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  4.19 MB
 Viewed:  214 Time(s)

IMG_20200204_073255247.jpg

IMG_20200204_073239338.jpg
 Description:
Edit to add fv
 Filesize:  4.22 MB
 Viewed:  189 Time(s)

IMG_20200204_073239338.jpg

Peppy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: lysergist Rimshot Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello lysergist,
It's been many years, but I still wanted to announce that your stripboard with the Rimshot works great, thank you and greetings from Germany!
Peppy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:22 am    Post subject: Claps/Maracas Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Which potentiometer values ​​should I use for the clap / maracas for selector and level?
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Claps/Maracas Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Peppy wrote:
Which potentiometer values ​​should I use for the clap / maracas for selector and level?

If by selector you mean selecting between clap or maraca sounds, that's a switch, not a pot.

Level pot for the original circuit is 100KA. You'll note the stripboard has a LVL 1 and LVL 2, it is typical to tie the wiper to pin 3 of the pot even though it's not called out.
Peppy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Clap Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry about the selector that I knew how to connect, thanks for your feedback!
Peppy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:29 am    Post subject: Claps / Maracas Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,
I built the claps / maracas, the claps works and sounds great, thanks for posting!
However, the white noise of the claps lingers for 2 seconds, if I remove the Q69 the claps sound clean without any unclean hissing!
My maracas doesn't work at all, everything is mute when I switch to maracas, what could possibly be the problem, someone has a clue?
If I remove all Q65 to Q70 transistor dead, the claps continue to work normally, I think that the transistors are responsible for the maracas!
Another question could I connect the Accent output to the 12V power supply? I am using BC559 and BC549!

Thanks in advance

greetings
Peppy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:14 am    Post subject: Claps / Maracas Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I looked at the circuit diagram, is the C144 drawn the right way around on the stripboard layout?
lysergist

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi everyone, been a while !

Oh f Peppy you're right... C144 is mounted on the wrong way... It doesn't seem to be very dramatic at least on my circuit, which sounds great to me, and now everything is in a box i can't change it anymore. I edited my post, thanks for the report.

Some of you noticed a noise leak on the clap/maracas, if it's not due to the C144 mounted the wrong side on my layout, maybe try to adjust the amount of noise source. On my 808 noise source i replaced the trimmer by a pot so i can manually adjust the amount of noise for the clap, it's a nice sounding feature, but you don't want that pot all the way up or you'll get some noise leak.

Let me present you the c8r0n8 ! After almost 5 years, i finally finished it during the quarantine, sounds sick !
Toms are the only non-stripboarded part, i used hexinverter's AteOhAte, i see someone designed a stripboard version for it in this thread, too bad i didn't see it earlier.

Here's the list of mods i used :
- BD: tune, decay
- Snare: osc pitch 1&2, decay, noise amount, noise filter
- HexInverter's toms are already modded (noise input/decay)
- Rimshot/claves: filter
- Clap/maracas: filter, decay, noise input
- Sound source: Osc 1 & 2 pitch (i basically just replaced the trimmers by pots on -minus- layout, mostly for different cowbell tones, also affects HH/Cymbal as they share the same sound source)
- Cowbell: filter
- CH/OH: filter and decay for both
- Cymbal: filter, decay

They can be found on this thread/the other 808 snare thread, and this forum: http://www.e-licktronic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=143&sid=1aae44d7fde1048f373b3c45c92d4143

I'm using midimuso CV-12, but i kept the individual trigger/acc inputs. I built an external PSU for it, but ofc can be used for other purposes. I may post a video with a proper sound recording

Thanks everyone for making this possible !

noise_gen_882.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  96.59 KB
 Viewed:  152 Time(s)

noise_gen_882.png

20200326_145054.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.38 MB
 Viewed:  143 Time(s)

20200326_145054.jpg

20210325_024652.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.45 MB
 Viewed:  141 Time(s)

20210325_024652.jpg

20210325_025127.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.71 MB
 Viewed:  123 Time(s)

20210325_025127.jpg

20210325_031252.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.58 MB
 Viewed:  131 Time(s)

20210325_031252.jpg

Last edited by lysergist on Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:01 pm; edited 13 times in total
lysergist

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And here's the master output, i don't know if it's been posted before

808 master out.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  280.06 KB
 Viewed:  178 Time(s)

808 master out.png

Peppy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:23 am    Post subject: Claps / Maracas Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

I have now got the maracas running, have changed all the transistors and IC, after that it worked! Unfortunately I still have a lingering noise with the claps, when I remove the Q69 it has disappeared, but the claps then no longer sound as wide with volume. Thanks "lysergist" for answering, I'll try what you said, otherwise the module sounds great, great work from you!
Peppy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:02 am    Post subject: Claps / Maracas Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just soldered the C144 the other way around, it sounds much worse, not recommended!
I looked at "Syntherjack", he had also built Roland's claps, he also "incorrectly" drawn the C144 in his schematic, it seems to be correct after all! With him, however, the C144 is called C2 or similar
https://syntherjack.net/hc-2-handclapper/
Peppy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: bongo Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,
I have built the high tom / bongo so far, it works very well, but the noise is too loud, I have generally switched the bongo / tom on without noise, it must be noise! how do i patch correctly? Thank you in advance
Peppy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Cymbal Volume Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,
my output is a little too quiet what resistance would I need to change to increase the volume of the cymbal?

Thanks in advance

greetings
flagada

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Are you using 15V CV? You need 15V for maximal output.
blakeAlbion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:38 am    Post subject: 808 Rimshot Stripboard Q74? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello, I can see this topic happened a long time ago.
Nonetheless I find myself building an 808 Cowbell on a solderable breadboard, and now working on a Rim Shot module.

I have some questions.
1) Is there some repo or link in this thread that I am missing? I'm guessing somewhere there's a collective list of all the 808 strip boards, carrying on from where Archer left off. Is there?
2) I'm mostly stuck on the rimshot. I have not found a block diagram or a circuit analysis of this anywhere. It appears to be 2 T oscillators mixed into a swing VCA going into a non-resonant highpass filter, then going into a noise gate.
There's something really mad-scientist about this circuit that I love, including the audacity to frost the lumpy, half-baked cake sponge with so much noise gate frosting that nobody can hear the warts.
3) So... Q74. My FET is not working well. It does normally conduct, but I have to pull down the gate with around -10V or more to enable the op amp to have any gain. I have tried to analyze the signal going into the gate. It's a tiny triangular pulse derived from the tiny charge popped over from the capacitor.
The pulse seems extremely small and extremely weak. The op amp produces a short, loud click with no rim shot sound.
I tried manually sweeping the voltage into the Q74 gate, and the op amp is either muted, or there's a loud thump and then I can hear a noisy version of the rim shot sound passing through.
This behaves like a noise gate, but a very bad noise gate that thumps when it changes state. It seems there's an offset voltage bleeding through Q74 and the 33mF capacitor is being charged by this.
So... is the FET dead and just passing current from the gate into the op amp? This is like PAiA's poor-mans noise gate in the drum tone module. The op-amp is being snapped on and off by a bias voltage. I'm certain that is not the intended purpose of Q74.

What I need is a model of how Q74 should work. What should the control signal from Q61 going into the gate look like? What voltage range will control the FET?

I will try another FET. I have been using a 2N5457. I will order a 2SK30A transistor.

Ben
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 11 of 12 [278 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11, 12 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: