electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
[PCBs] "The Postman" quad Envelope Generator
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 2 [43 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
tazer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would like 3 of these please..............thanks
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

HexInverter wrote:

I don't understand why other people doing DIY boards don't do this. "D1-D29" means shit all to a human being...only makes sense to a machine Smile

I don't think it's good industry practice to do it this way. As a general rule, don’t put component values on the silkscreen, just the component designator.
It might make it easier for beginners, but it will be difficult when it comes to troubleshooting and articulating which component is being referred to.
HexInverter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

-minus- wrote:
I don't think it's good industry practice to do it this way. As a general rule, don’t put component values on the silkscreen, just the component designator.
It might make it easier for beginners, but it will be difficult when it comes to troubleshooting and articulating which component is being referred to.

I am arguing that I feel it is exactly the opposite for DIY stuff.

Think about this -- how are you supposed to read the resistor designators (ie: R1, etc.) once all of the resistors are installed? They're covered up by the resistors. You still need the component designator overlay in the build documentation when you have to troubleshoot, so may as well forget it all together on the PCB when it could make room for something actually useful during assembly.

Thus, there is almost no reason to prioritize component designators over parts values when it is a human being assembling the circuit board.

Nobody cares what specific 100k resistor in the schematic it is that they are installing, when they have 42 resistors to install! They just want to get it over with ASAP and get onto making sounds!

I think you should put the designators in the build documentation (a good component overlay that the user can print out, should they need to troubleshoot/whatever). Assembly is so much easier and faster with part values on the board, and means you do not have to muck around with printing stuff out/having a computer beside you if you don't want to.

sympleSEQ -- the simple to build analog step-sequencer

seqSQUARED -- the Analogue Pattern Generator
--> Put yourself on the hexinverter.net mailing list to be notified when in stock!
tazer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hex

i'm hearing you on this, your doing small runs for folk of different skills levels, i personally find it frustrating when i'm faced with no component values on the silkscreen, i understand that it may lead to other complications. But sometimes i feel i'm more likely to make a mistake when there is no component values on s/screen and it takes longer, it's helpful to have as much info as someone is willing to provide when building up modules.
kitsch-bent

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

interested in 4
HexInverter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PCBs for this project are ordered banana Yay!

--> Put yourself on the hexinverter.net mailing list to be notified when in stock!
tony void

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't care if you put component value or D1 - D29 or silly names like ralph, bob, and sam!
I do, however, want at least 2 pcbs.
Wink
HexInverter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The old Postman came knocking at my door today!

Unfortunately, I have 4 exams over the next week and probably won't get time until after to assemble and test them all before I can start shipping them to people Sad Sorry guys. I still haven't made a BoM for this either! Argh! I need more time!

Will keep you all updated!

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

HexInverter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Postman Quad Envelope Generator BoM is up!

Sorry for the wait Smile Let me know if you spot any errors. Hoping to have the boards tested and up in my shop after this weekend!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvD8ZRA_UZL8dE5uWjNqa2loOVlFV2V1NGtvaHczdFE

diablojoy

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got an idea Idea
so will need 4 boards now.

and you thought my last sequencer was big Laughing

as good an answer as any
roglok

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

diablojoy wrote:
I got an idea Idea
so will need 4 boards now.

and you thought my last sequencer was big Laughing

holy shit- 16 steps, each its own envelope generator?
diablojoy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
holy shit- 16 steps, each its own envelope generator?

Haha.... No only 8 but i was thinking complex envelopes for the moment unless i go really insane.
I am working on a CV "any pattern" bidirectional 8 way switch. Wink
[ it is possibile to go 'n' variable I/O's with the architecture employed]
not sure what the max could, be, havent calculated that .
anyway quite a stupidly large number of switchable I/O's would be possible in theory.

this will form the basis for a matrix sequencer eventually

as good an answer as any
HexInverter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just finished testing the Postman EG PCBs and everything is a-okay!

Feel free to order from my shop! I restocked a bunch of other stuff as well.

http://www.hexinverter.net

diablojoy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

haha will do exactly that as soon as i get home Smile
as good an answer as any
diablojoy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the postman is getting a bit faster it seems ! Cool
thanks Hex

as good an answer as any
Luka

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

HexInverter wrote:
-minus- wrote:

I am arguing that I feel it is exactly the opposite for DIY stuff.

Think about this -- how are you supposed to read the resistor designators (ie: R1, etc.) once all of the resistors are installed? They're covered up by the resistors. You still need the component designator overlay in the build documentation when you have to troubleshoot, so may as well forget it all together on the PCB when it could make room for something actually useful during assembly.

Thus, there is almost no reason to prioritize component designators over parts values when it is a human being assembling the circuit board.

Nobody cares what specific 100k resistor in the schematic it is that they are installing, when they have 42 resistors to install! They just want to get it over with ASAP and get onto making sounds!

I think you should put the designators in the build documentation (a good component overlay that the user can print out, should they need to troubleshoot/whatever). Assembly is so much easier and faster with part values on the board, and means you do not have to muck around with printing stuff out/having a computer beside you if you don't want to.

not many times when you hear that indexes make processes slower but i guess i agree in terms of populating boards

i think at a minimum there needs to be a diagram in the build docs with the part index overlay corresponding to the schematic - that makes debugging circuits a lot quicker

http://www.last.fm/user/prblmchild
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"Thus, there is almost no reason to prioritize component designators over parts values when it is a human being assembling the circuit board."

Sorry, forgotten I had posted here. Yes, it may seem idiot proof to print the values on the pcb. The advantage may become apparent when later you realise one of your components needs to change value.
HexInverter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rough panel rendering for eurorackers Smile

Will be for sale at http://www.resynthesis.co.uk in the coming weeks!

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 2 [43 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: