electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
Nord Automation in Logic - Noob Question
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
voodoodoctor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Nord Automation in Logic - Noob Question
Subject description: help, i do not know hwat i am doing
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey guys, I picked up a Nord Rack 2 awhile back, and am now trying to use it with Logic 9 Pro. I am new to extneral synths and to Logic. I have sorted out setting up a track with the Nord receiving midi and vice versa as well as receiving the sound back into my Mac. Now here is the question, how do you all deal with :
1) starting a track with the sound you want. i know I can manually click on the program /bank... but how can i tell the DAW to start with that sound and tell the Nord.
2) what if I record a bit of changes, like adjusting the filter cut off. if I rewind... it is now at the new value...? how do you all deal with this. i read a bit about it in the manual and it said that could happen. I am just not sure what you are supposed to do.
3) do you really need a PCMIA expansion card. does this just make it easier to save programs? -- this will not be for live playing, only home studio use.

thanks so much!
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome voodoodoctor

I am not a Logic or another DAW user, but there are things I know…

In most DAW’s there was the possibility to start the track with a ProgramChange. In CuBase 1.1 one had to record one note, recorded the ProgramChange and had to delete the note, so only the Midi data was send.
There was also a possibility to enter the complete SysEx of the Program by sending it using the dump one command on the synth. It means the Program doesn’t have to be in the internal memory and will be loaded into the synth before the song starts. Saving the song means also saving the Program with it.

So, yes, when rewinding the synth will be in the new setting which it receives from the DAW. When using the second option above, rewinding completely will send the original settings of the parameters again and all is right, but you have to go to the beginning. Probably it will be in the Manual of Logic as ‘Automation’.

A PCMCIA-card is an easy tool, bit not needed when working with a computer. I use the hard disc as an archive for all my Programs and Performances. Any SysEx librarian can be used to do the trick of receiving and sending.
BTW working on the computer you don’t really need Performances; they are designed to be used on stage.

Wout
voodoodoctor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks man. I also got a tip in another forum to do the sys dump at hte begning of the track adn use temp automation to slow it down to like 30bpm for a measure, then spead it up to where you want.. to give the system time to sync. this also makes sense if you start at the begnign of the track. but i still have to wrap my head around how you work with the middle of the track. my guess is it is just differnt then what i am used to inside the box... that or people record it to audio an work with the audio... or work with the parts like it was an old 4 track or something. i have much to learn!

thanks again.
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Indeed, you can use diferent tracks. The Lead has 4 seperated synths.

Wout
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
Jump to: