electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
inexpensive mod. synths?
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
gschnettler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: inexpensive mod. synths?
Subject description: are there any inexpensive modular synths available?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi. I have had a few normal synths and now am interested in trying modular synths. But all that I have looked at seem to require purchasing at least 5 or 6 modules and each module seems to be $100 or more, plus another $100 or $200 for a keyboard. I am just looking for something simple to play with and have fun with and not for serious music playing or professional use. I would be perfectly happy with DIY kits if that is the best way to go as long as they are not too difficult to build. I would like to have something that works for $200 US or less. Is there anything available in this price range?
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Check out musicfromouterspace.com and some of the soundlab synths.

They're not strictly speaking modular, but they work in much the same way as modulars, and they can get your feet wet. It's still going to be a few hundred dollars all told, but not as much as even a basic euro system.
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What about a software synth? Tassman?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
gschnettler

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you. I will check these out.

- Gary
pskept

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i saw this on the kvr developer challenge http://www.kvraudio.com/product/kamioooka-by-g200kg. it looks interesting and the price is perfect for your budget.
varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
What about a software synth? Tassman?

If you don’t mind going the software route, try the Clavia Nord Modular G2 Demo Software. The price is perfect, it is FREE Exclamation

Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you do want to build it,
To save money and tie it all in with what you've already got, I'd look at a MIDI>CV+Gate module first. Either DIY or commercial. Then just start with a VCO an VCA combination, from MFOS. Add VCF, ENV, LFO, later, as you need them.
That way you can start testing and playing from one of your MIDI keyboards, and incorporating sounds into your music straight away.
From my own experience, you can build heaps of stuff, but if you haven't got that MIDI>CV+Gate section covered (like me) then all the modular analogue stuff will remain quite isolated, and not easy to incorporate into your digital sound.

lvoemachine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.hard-mod.com/eng/duo_.html
is probably the most bang for your buck right now. It would cost you about 2k or so to pick up the amount of modules that he puts into the DUO. He's in mexico so it makes everything cheaper for him in general. There are a few new demo videos that were really outstanding, that I think you can find on his facebook page.
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

On the MIDI->CV front here's documentation of my own effort at that: http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-52722.html

Uses an arduino, and I'd guess that it was less than $20 in other parts, so depending on which model arduino you were to use, pretty cheap.

There are other, more robust versions out there too (mine doesn't do ANYTHING but CV, Gate, Trigger, and has no options for changing MIDI channel or other stuff that, in retrospect, would be useful), including pre made PCBs. I'm looking forward to this project becoming available to get a better MIDI->CV for my second rack of modular components Smile

http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/topic-75544.html&highlight=

Edit: I say "mine" but I mean my effort, the actual circuit design I started from (before I ripped out lots of pieces) was by Thomas Henry.
darsho

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

maybe too late as a reply, but you never know :

Curetronic sells rather affordable kits, the pcb are already soldered, you only need to add the knobs and wires.

www.curetronic.com

Most of my music features Curetronic modular synths (not the kits, the regular one, in case you want to check out how it sounds).

My buddy SHirioyuki is currently soldering some Curetronic kits for his own modular synth, he says it's rather easy.

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Let's not forget about this to guys. This is not a bad deal for $550. The PAiA P9700S modular synthesizer. Good for DIY builders. This what I built up many years ago when I first started fiddling around with modular synthesizers. I personally think its a good first modular. For what you get, the price is very good.

http://www.paia.com/proddetail.asp?prod=P9700S&cat=12
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
Jump to: