electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  mosc Live music with Twyndyllyngs - Bill Fox and Howard Moscovitz
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Time Machine
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Banjo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Time Machine Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Last week, I finished a module that I will use mainly as a clock source for running sequencers, or whatever else I can think of. For a lack of a better name, I call it the Time Machine. It uses two 4049s that generate four clock signals. Each signal is fed into a 4013 flip flop. The top jack outputs the clock signal, and the blue led flashes its pulse. The A and B of the flip flop are fed into the next two jacks below the top jack. Green led is for the A, and red for the B. The pulse from the A is fed into another flip flop and its outputs are the bottom two jacks. So I get the original pulse from the clock, a pile that is twice as long or a pile that is four times as long, which can be "offset" by using the B output of the flip flop.

There are four of these sets of outputs in the module, which can run independent from each other at different rates. However, with the three switches at the top of the panel, I can feed the pulse from the last flip flop into the column to its right, giving me a pulse that is 8 and16 times a long. Again if the next switch is thrown, the next column gives 32and 64 times, and 128, and 256 times. The switch underneath the rate control knobs, switches the capacitors in order to slow down the pule rate to make the clocks run slower if necessary.

I screwed up when I built the panel though. Originally, there was supposed to be four flip flops per column, but when I laid out and drilled the panel, I only drilled four holes, which only allows for two of the flip flops to output their A and B signals, leaving me with four unused sockets on the circuit board. After making sure everything was working as it was supposed to, I came to the conclusion that this was not a bad thing. Instead of having four columns with four flip flops in each, when time allows In a few months, I will cut a new panel with eight columns of two flip flops doubling the versatility of the module. I want to add cv control inputs as an option for controlling the clock rate, and whatever else that comes to mind after I rebuild my existing two sequencers and build a few more. I already have two panels cut to size.

Hopefully, I can get the external clock inputs added to the sequencers tomorrow or Monday, and put the Time Machine to work. This is also the first time I have tried to add photos to a post. Sorry the photos are sideways. Will have to make sure my photos are orients correctly in the future.

image.jpg
 Description:
Front Panel
 Filesize:  244.15 KB
 Viewed:  53 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

image.jpg

image.jpg
 Description:
Rear of Panel and Circuit Board
 Filesize:  303.11 KB
 Viewed:  54 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

image.jpg

elmegil

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's a good and appropriate name, but you should be aware there's a module out there called the Time Machine, it's a delay unit by Blacet.

For your own module I don't see that as a problem, but you might get some confusion about it... Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: