electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  EdisonRex Edison's Electronic Review
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
4017 vs. 4022 for simple sequencers?
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
sonicwarrior

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: 4017 vs. 4022 for simple sequencers? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I recently found out that there is the 4022 chip with 8 outputs which looks otherwise exactly like the popular 4017 with 10 outputs.

Musically 8 outputs make more sense and many sequencers based on it are using only 8.

So why does nobody use a 4022 instead of the 4017? Confused

Last edited by sonicwarrior on Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
slacker

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've never used one because until about 30 seconds ago I'd never heard of them Smile
Dave Kendall

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Only thing I can think of, is that 4022s are rarer, and have a different pinout. The CLK, ENABLE, CARRY OUT and RESET pins are the same as the 4017, but the pinout for the Q outputs is different.
Apart from the pinouts, the Motorola datasheets for the 2 ICs seem identical.

cheers,
Dave

analog_backlash

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's a good point that you've made sonicwarrior. Nearly all simple sequencers I've seen are based on the 4017 (including ones that I've thought of myself). Musically, the 8-step 4022 seems more sensible. I'm sure that effectively they are the same (apart from step length and pinout as already mentioned), as most manufacturers seem to put them on the same data sheet (I have the NatSemi and SGS-Thompson ones to hand). The only problem I can see is that an 8-step 4017 can be expanded to a 16-step 2 x 4017, but this uses some of the unused outputs. With the 4022, there are no unused outputs, so this is more difficult (or impossible?) to achieve.

I am planning to build (eventually) a clock divider/distributor/gate sequencer which I was designing using 4017s, but I've just looked at my stash of chips and I have six 4022s. I think I might use them, since I don't have any other urgent use for them.

Gary
JingleJoe

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

analog_backlash wrote:
so this is more difficult (or impossible?) to achieve.

that sounds like a challenge Smile I think it is possible but we'll have to experiment first Wink

update: without extra logic it may be impossible however you can make a 14 step as it is Smile

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
analog_backlash

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JingleJoe wrote:
analog_backlash wrote:

that sounds like a challenge Smile I think it is possible but we'll have to experiment first Wink

update: without extra logic it may be impossible however you can make a 14 step as it is Smile

I knew that someone would rise to that, hence the (?)! Very Happy Just thinking about how the 14-step could be done without extra gates - I'll work it out eventually...

Gary
JingleJoe

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

analog_backlash wrote:
JingleJoe wrote:
analog_backlash wrote:

I knew that someone would rise to that, hence the (?)! Very Happy Just thinking about how the 14-step could be done without extra gates - I'll work it out eventually...

Gary

ah, slight misunderstanding, the 16 step sequencer with 4022s requires extra gates/logic but the 14 step is possible with only two 4022s.

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: