electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
measuring resistors with multimeter
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
olledahlberg

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: measuring resistors with multimeter Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Im testing some resistors with my multimeter (470 K .25W 5%), and I get some strange readings. The resistors are totally new, but when I start measure, the multimeter reads ~1M ohm at first, and then the resistance drops to 470 K in some seconds. Are these resistors crap or ok to use for synth builds?

/Olle
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe it's time to change the meter's battery?
KnobHell

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Are you test leads in good order? Are you getting a solid connection? Every surface clean that needs to make contact?

I have clip leads on my voltmeters, at least most of them. Several times a year I'll have to fix an resolder connectors back on. They do wear out if you use them a lot.
analog_backlash

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ditto the comments above. I've found that one of my meters tends to go a little weird before the "official" battery low indicator comes on. Also, I made up replacement croc clip leads from scratch as I'd been having lots of problems with them. It's an autoranging meter and if there is a poor connection anywhere, it cannot settle on a true value. With the hand made leads, I'm now getting consistent results again (which also more-or less agree with my older meters).

Gary
olledahlberg

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank guys for the thoughts, Ill check if the connections and battery has gone bad
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: