electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
My Roland JX8p started smelling... burn smell...
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
paugui

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 37

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: My Roland JX8p started smelling... burn smell...
Subject description: What shall I do now? :S
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think my Roland JX8p just died a while ago...

It was on and the screen stop working so I turned the power off and on but it didn't do anything more...

Then I started noticing there was indeed a burn smell in the room which I'm sure came from the JX8p...

What shall I do now?

Is it likely a problem with the PSU that shouldn't be too hard to fix?
Or the burn smell might indicate other components got screwed and I should probably just think of getting another one and keep this pieces (I actually need a coil for my Roland MKS70)?

Shall I act now or can I wait for the weekend?
Is it likely that a problem related with this can get worse if I wait?

Thanks in advance,
Best

Paulo
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If it's powered off, it can't get worse. Smile
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don't turn it on again until after you've been inside and looked at it!

Home,My Studio,and another view
tazer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would take the back off and look for any discoloured or burn't components, while it is switched off. There are things you can use to test components to see if they still work or not It might be as simple as replacing 1 component so i wouldn't turn it into parts yet. But on the other side there will be a hell of alot of components in it so that in itself makes it tricky. If you say the screen stopped working first then that might be the area to start looking.
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Could you still hear sound after the screen died?
I'm guessing that you didn't, because when the screen died you weren't playing anything, yeah?

My suspicion would be the most obvious fault at this age which is that one or both power caps have dried out and gone short circuit, then started to cook. Has it ever been re-capped in it's life? If not, I'd do that first. Replace as many electrolytic caps as you can, going biggest to smallest. The two big ones in the PSU are mandatory. As are any that look like they've bulged or leaked.

paugui

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 37

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep, I wasn't playing with it and that didn't even came to my mind... I just turned it on and off...
And since it didn't do it, I did again, which I hope that didn't make things worse...

Then I tried to listen to the headphones and it came just a big hum out of it...

I will try to check it with a friend this sunday.
Could find the service manual, so hope it will be pretty useful...

Will check the screen area too, but some people were telling me a good place to check would be the power supply.
If I'm lucky it might be only a component there that got burnt...

I really hope I can make it work again cause I was just starting to explore it a bit better and it was starting to seem a better machine than my initial impressions revealed...
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

paugui wrote:
Then I tried to listen to the headphones and it came just a big hum out of it...

Sounds like a smoked power supply then, you could be "lucky" then - look at da Uncle's reply before.

memetix

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
paugui wrote:

Sounds like a smoked power supply then, you could be "lucky" then - look at da Uncle's reply before.

i concur: burning smells means something actually smoked, which means you can usually spot what happened visually. yay!

also, since it's humming, check the rectifier diodes in the power supply as well. i don't know the jx8p, but it's either 4 largeish diodes together or a discrete device w/ 4 pins. if it has scorch marks, you're golden.
patrickvf1976

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Most definitely check the power supply, if you have some technical skills. Check for discolored, burnt, deformed components, especially the capacitors. Those metal can type of caps have a fluid of sorts inside and tend to try out over time thus fail to work and cause havoc in the circuit. Try to replace as many of the PSU's components as you can. If you're lucky you only have to replace some capacitors and/or resistors. Also as mentioned before check the recitifier diodes and transistors. Try to get hold of the service manual and use a multimeter to check the circuit and compare the values with the ones from the manual. That's imo easier than unsoldering and testing and solder back in individual components. If you don't feel comfortable doing that then you have no choice but to take it to a technician (or gut the synth and build a monster modular Very Happy )
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Jump to: