electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Korg MS2000 paint getting rusty...
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
paugui

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 37

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Korg MS2000 paint getting rusty... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi

I got a Korg MS2000 before the summer and now that I got back home (was away from late September until mid December), I noticed it has some paint coming off at the corners of the button and it seems to be rusty as the paint comes off...
It had some scratches before but those are not getting rusty at all...

The keyboard was kept inside a closet, but there were two other keyboards in the closet next to it, a Korg MicroKorg and a Korg MS20ic, and nothing has happened to them...

I also have a Nord Modular G2X and a DK Synergy in the same room, out in a stand, and nothing happened to those either...

Is this normal???
I live by the sea so I know this kind of things are more likely to happen here, but it just seems pretty weird that nothing is happening my other equipment and only to this Korg...

Thanks in advance,
Best

Paulo
tazer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey

sounds like it could be corrosion caused by sea air as u suggest, maybe try sealing them in thick plastic bags when they are sitting in the cupboard or something to make them more airtight. My old teisco synth was the same (but that is 26 years old) rust creeping in across the faceplate but i think it had been neglected before it reached me, I never think rust is a good sign near components.

cheers

ian
robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you seal up the synth, the moisture trapped inside won't have a chance to eascape. The best way to get rid of humidity is to keep the synth warm for a while before sealing it up, ie warmer than its environment. Not much heat is required for this normally, but it depends on a few factors. You should be ok just keeping a 40W lamp on inside the cupboard if possible, to keep it dry. Also get some of those little bags that say "Don't Eat" that come with new equipment - it helps draw the humidity out of things. Can't remember what they are called now...
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

re: "do not eat"

Silica gel bags. Believe it or not, a small bag of (uncooked) rice will do that too.

I suspect some instruments are more susceptible to that kind of corrosion because of the steel (and kind of paint).

Home,My Studio,and another view
paugui

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 37

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But what shall I do with the silica gel or rice bags?
I'm not too experienced with this...

About the lamp suggestion, if I put a lamp eating the synth up, it should stop the rust to spread?

I have some old Teiscos here and they aren't getting rusty... :S

But the strangest part to me is that the MS2000 has some scratches that are not getting rusty either, just some areas of the painting...
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Are you sure it's rust and not some type of mold? Could also just be the paint discoloring?
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Pack the thing in a plastic bag, and put the silica gel or rice bags in with it.
That stops it getting much worse. As for repairing it, well that's another story.

Home,My Studio,and another view
tazer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

why don't you take some photo's of the damage before you stick them in the plastic bag with the silica gel bags, and certainly for the first while maybe check it regularly to make sure it isn't getting any worse, and at least if you have some photo's you will have something to compare. Do you know what sort of timescale the rust has appeared over? i.e. is it getting worse quickly....
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree with all the other suggestions to reduce the chances of more rust appearing. For the spots which are there already, I'd recommend fish oil. I'm not sure where to get it, (possibly the chemist?) but a small amount painted directly onto the rust spots, will stop it in it's tracks. It penetrates right through the rust, and goes harder over time.
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Jump to: