electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
2013 Build Pictures
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 3 of 8 [178 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow, that looks great Draal! (I wish i had your sculpting skills Wink)

I'd suggest going for custom, or customized knobs. I like the aztec gods idea. (or if you're really good,. stanley lunetta, mosc, I don't know,.. pick your "gods" of choice Laughing)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Lun-A-Key Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
here's a photo of my lovely assistant showing of the latest PHOBoSapiens inc. product: the "Lun-A-Key".
more info can be found here

Looking great!

And your Lun-A-Key isn't looking too shabby either. Wink

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks rob! Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Draal

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject:
Subject description: Just about done with the tin
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Finally had some time to work some more on the synth tin. I have a knob to find for the 4046 pitch pot but I'm in the home stretch.

Here's a video:

minidone2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  675.29 KB
 Viewed:  337 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

minidone2.JPG

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome draal, nice job with those customized chickenheads!
and it sounds good too Laughing

sonicwarrior

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Finally my first finished module in 2013:

An MFOS Sonic Multiplier (Ring Mod/Sine Oscillator)

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen. Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Draal: I'm not really a Star Trek fan, but I have this Art of Star Trek book here which I bought for inspiration when I was building spaceship interiors for dance parties a few years back. Anyway, that device looks very Klingon to me. Or perhaps something from The Martian Chronicles? Cool
The Bad Producer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sonicwarrior wrote:
Finally my first finished module in 2013:

An MFOS Sonic Multiplier (Ring Mod/Sine Oscillator)

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen. Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

nice neat build... How do you like this module? I'm always thinking I should get one, would you recommend it?

sonicwarrior

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Depends what you like. The gain pot is capable of overdriving the input so it can get pretty hard. Didn't test out the tracking capabilities of the sine oscillator yet. I like the sound of the ring modulation but I'm not very audiophil.
Draal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

-minus- wrote:
Draal: I'm not really a Star Trek fan, but I have this Art of Star Trek book here which I bought for inspiration when I was building spaceship interiors for dance parties a few years back. Anyway, that device looks very Klingon to me. Or perhaps something from The Martian Chronicles? Cool

I was thinking along the same lines once all was said and done. I'd love to have the skills to fabricate real legit looking enclosures/panels that I see on here but it's one of my many weaknesses.

Easier to do the alien/organic /asymmetrical stuff. Rolling Eyes Thanks for checking it out.

-minus-

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The alien look can be quite a bit of work too though! But yeah, panels are a problem. There seem to be advantages and disadvantages to most DIY methods, and professionally manufactured panels can be cost prohibitive.

I'm amazed at the godawful panel design of a lot of commercially available modules. The typography is notoriously bad, as if it has been randomly selected from a 80's Letraset catalogue. Laughing
chrissugar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all

Since the late nineties I had this idea to build a modular setup, mostly as a sound design tool to process audio files, but never really had the time to do it. Some years ago I decided it is time to start this project and made a list with all the relevant modules for my needs. At the beginning I had no intention to build VCOs, only filters, audio processors, various modulators, etc, but last year I decided to add oscillators to make it even more versatile.
What you see is still work in progress, a few modules are still on test boards (working fine) and I have to make them on proper PCBs.

This is only half of my project (here only four 5U panels) four more panels will be built in the near future. (total 12 different filters, lots of stompbox effects in one panel, other VCOs including wavetable, etc.)

Although it is built on 5U height rack panels it is my own design and it is not related in any way to the standard 5U modules. I defined my own distances for holes and everything. Panels are anodized and laser engraved.

Hope you will like it.

the panels:
VCO
VCF
PROCESS
MOD

details
detail 1
detail 2
detail 3
detail 4

cabinets
cabinet 1
cabinet 2
cabinet 3

studio racks
racks 1
racks 2

chrissugar

-minus-

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's a very nice modular, chrissugar! Shocked There's a lot of work and love in that. The anodised laser engraved panels look spectacular.
fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

stunning, chrissugar!
roglok

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

great work chrissugar - very classy !
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

here is the first finished module using my 6HP cascadable DC mixer PCBs:

elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Mankato! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm still making mistakes with my panels... in this case too many bubbles and then I messed up trying to cover the exposed silver edges around the decal with a sharpie.... and covered part of the word "Filter" too :/

But the electronics are perfect and I'm very happy with it.

Obviously the design is inspired by/borrows heavily from Wink STG's Mankato, but I wanted more input and control.

2013-03-15_23-02-50_299.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.15 MB
 Viewed:  167 Time(s)

2013-03-15_23-02-50_299.jpg

2013-03-15_23-02-27_92.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  249.59 KB
 Viewed:  171 Time(s)

2013-03-15_23-02-27_92.jpg

prgdeltablues

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

By early 2013 a fourth cabinet was required!

Latest build CGS Serge Resonant Equalizer - very nice module.

Peter

fourth cabinet ed.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.51 MB
 Viewed:  195 Time(s)

fourth cabinet ed.JPG

sduck

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Got this one finished -

Ian Fritz Chaotica front

Ian Fritz Chaotica profile

Ian Fritz Chaotica back

(note the duct tape use - everything's better with duct tape)
Feifer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My modules are still sans cabinet, so they're laid out in no particular or logical order.. but here they are.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
synth
Dogenigt

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just finished this Microcassette Tape Delay

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

More on how this was done here:
http://www.dogenigt.com/2013/03/microcassette-tape-delay.html

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler. - Albert Einstein
delayed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sduck wrote:
Got this one finished -

quick question, what are you using for your pcb holder? it looks like step flashing. is that correct?
sduck

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

delayed wrote:
sduck wrote:
Got this one finished -

quick question, what are you using for your pcb holder? it looks like step flashing. is that correct?

Yes! 40 cents a piece at home depot, available in several sizes. sturdy enough, easy to cut and shape. With this one the pcb was a bit bigger than the biggest piece I had, so I screwed 2 pieces together, and used a bit of duct tape on the edges mainly because I like using duct tape.
chrissugar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

-minus- wrote:
That's a very nice modular, chrissugar! Shocked There's a lot of work and love in that. The anodised laser engraved panels look spectacular.

fluxmonkey wrote:
stunning, chrissugar!

roglok wrote:
great work chrissugar - very classy !

Thank you all for the kind words. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

chrissugar

elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MUCH happier with the panel work on this Wogglebug, though as always there are things that aren't exactly as I'd prefer.

Uses the Bridechamber PCB and a couple of Dave Brown's mods...most notably I took the 10V/5V range jumpers and made them panel switches.

2013-04-10_23-22-13_862.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  321.63 KB
 Viewed:  455 Time(s)

2013-04-10_23-22-13_862.jpg

2013-04-10_23-21-37_895.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  233.33 KB
 Viewed:  426 Time(s)

2013-04-10_23-21-37_895.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 3 of 8 [178 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: