electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
2013 Build Pictures
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 4 of 8 [178 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
syntherjack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hallo,

quite boring design, but necessary. It's high quality modular synth PSU, simple and effective. All boards made at home, total cost about 25 euro. Fully tested and working. 2x1,5A@12V output.

modular_PSU+busboards_2_SyntherJack.JPG
 Description:
PSU + busboards
 Filesize:  1.64 MB
 Viewed:  684 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

modular_PSU+busboards_2_SyntherJack.JPG

modular_PSU+busboards_SyntherJack.JPG
 Description:
Another shot - PSU + busboards
 Filesize:  1.96 MB
 Viewed:  820 Time(s)

modular_PSU+busboards_SyntherJack.JPG

elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That Toroid doesn't fit into the "all less than 25 Euro", right?

If it does I want to know where you got it Very Happy
syntherjack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

J3RK

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's a 5U setup that I've been working on. Ever since I started designing things, I haven't had a synth of my own. Very Happy (selling off boards and modules to fund new prototype runs) hehehe

So as of a few months ago, I started building this guy:

Some audio:
http://home.comcast.net/~r3cogniz3r/NewMCVO-Demo.mp3
http://home.comcast.net/~r3cogniz3r/MCVCO-FMR.mp3
http://home.comcast.net/~r3cogniz3r/XORPLLery.mp3
http://home.comcast.net/~r3cogniz3r/Fun.mp3
http://home.comcast.net/~r3cogniz3r/Fun2.mp3

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
JL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It doesn't look like much, as I'm just learning the process of making panels and using wood so I just wanted something to practice with. The circuitry is all very simple and the sound leaves much to be desired. It all runs off a single 9V supply. From left to right there is:

- 2 single-transistor VCAs with a passive 2-input mixer each. I can't remember the circuit, but it doesn't work that great.

- 2 Low-pass VCFs.

- 2 A/D envelope generators (still fine tuning these)

- 2 Hz/V Saw VCOs - These were based off this: http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-49901-0.html&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=simple+vco Except I took out the transistor buffer and used the other half of the quad op-amp I was using. (sort of related - does anybody know how to make a linear to expo converter run on a 9V supply so I could get this to be V/Oct?)

- White noise generator - simple 2 transistor circuit I found online with a single transistor boost circuit to bring it up to a usable level. The knob is a volume control (redundant, I know)

Not shown is a simple dual square/triangle LFO, also found on the forums here. It has since replaced the white noise generator.

I still have no idea how to put graphics on panels. I could figure out the etching part as I've done it with PCBs but designing things on a computer that have real-word dimensions is totally foreign to me.[url][/url]

STUPIDSYNTH.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  264.86 KB
 Viewed:  683 Time(s)

STUPIDSYNTH.jpg

elmegil

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: SN Voice Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Missing AC/DC switch on the panel (not really needing it I don't think) and I messed up the three way switch for fixed/envelope/gate (got Env & Gate backwards), but pleased with it nonetheless....

2013-04-22_02-01-37_170.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  140.63 KB
 Viewed:  670 Time(s)

2013-04-22_02-01-37_170.jpg

Pfurmel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Going to post this here since some of the designs were provided by Vtl5C3:
Here is a serge style panel I built last year, still have to calibrate the LPG's properly and figure out a neat power solution:

I used:
2x CLEE LPG(one slow, one fast)
1x AndrewF "Double Jerkoff"
1x AndrewF "2 Neuron"
1x J3RK 258J
1x 266(Self etch using VTL5C3's layout from 266 thread)
1x J3RK 291J
RingMad

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After seeing all these highly-polished super-clean builds being posted in this thread, I feel a little silly posting this ridiculous battery-powered noise box of mine.
It was supposed to be quick side project whilst taking a break from a large complicated build. It basically just exploits floating inputs of three 4046's, and thus can be "controlled" by waving one's hands near. Cats can play it too.
The build was cursed... despite being quite simple, I made several errors soldering, ruined 2 enclosures, had trouble finding a 3rd knob of the right size... anyway...

Demo video: http://youtu.be/D97q9ytPQvs

James.

RED antennatron noise box 700.jpg
 Description:
RED noise box
 Filesize:  81.52 KB
 Viewed:  584 Time(s)

RED antennatron noise box 700.jpg

analog_backlash

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excellent James - we need more cat-operable instruments cat cat cat cat cat cat cat. Now I just need to acquire a cat... I also liked the (almost) subliminal King Crimson event. I'll have to try out your idea some time.

Gary
beep

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My first sequencer. Became a birthday present for someone else later Very Happy
monotron cv/gate mod
attentuators and poor triangle from 40106 osc input cap

enjoying some minimal modular madness outside of the software world
for the first time

elmegil

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

KnobHell

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elmegil wrote:

Nice job on the Klee, any shots from the back?
elmegil

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have an assembly log over on google+

https://plus.google.com/photos/102657837209811792502/albums/5872857390890338033
KnobHell

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elmegil wrote:
I have an assembly log over on google+

https://plus.google.com/photos/102657837209811792502/albums/5872857390890338033

Beautiful job, very clean!

len
elmegil

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Smile

Kits are easy to do clean, especially when they are as well documented as this one. You don't want to see the stuff I've done on protoboard (or, well, you could probably dig it up in the 2012 build thread Smile ).
RingMad

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This was my most complicated build so far... 11 chips, and the culmination of many hours of research and failed attempts.

The box automates the control box I made for my crazy speaker installation wherein 32 of 94 speakers are wired up and 2-channel sound is sent pseudo-randomly to one speaker per cluster, as well as channel gating. So now installation is truly standalone, producing ever-changing results.

I finally broke down and used PICAXE microcontrollers to generate 8-bit numbers which feed R/2R DACs, which feed LM324 triangle VCOs for the audio generator part. I used a 7555 to generate a really slow gate signal, and 3 square wave oscillators clocking 4015 shift register stepped triangles to generate CVs.

I documented this project in a webpage here: http://www3.bell.net/james.schid/sweet32.html .

James.

Sweet32 Automator box2B-ssm.jpg
 Description:
Sweet32 Speaker Installation Automator (hard to photograph... LEDs are very bright!)
 Filesize:  106.67 KB
 Viewed:  721 Time(s)

Sweet32 Automator box2B-ssm.jpg

Sweet32 Automator Box inside-ssm.jpg
 Description:
Inside the box (7-segments weren't glued to the box yet). I get a little better each time I build something (I hope), trying to make cleaner layouts.
 Filesize:  147.5 KB
 Viewed:  706 Time(s)

Sweet32 Automator Box inside-ssm.jpg

elmegil

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, that is very cool.
dougseidel

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i agree - that's amazing!
tokyomatik

Audio files: 6

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i did a lot of work since i joined this wonderful comunity and finally something that i can show without shame
is basicly a baby 8 cv sequencer plus 2 x 4046 vcos
I wanted to keep it as simple as possible to stimulate the creations of sounds
within certain llimits as a creative input

IMG_9750.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  813.32 KB
 Viewed:  688 Time(s)

IMG_9750.JPG

IMG_9751.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  813.21 KB
 Viewed:  812 Time(s)

IMG_9751.JPG

tokyomatik

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been a bit ruff at the end. so i damaged the wood while i was hammering the aluminium to adjust it on the right angle. also the decal was shit...i believe they sent me the wrong type...but the final result is kind of vintage, looks really like a machine that already been used for long time Wink

ps. the panel layout is completely inspired by Fonik as u can notice Cool
donpachi

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks great tokyomatik Shocked
I especially like the curved wooden side panels and would like to have the skills necessary for that... maybe in some years Embarassed
Placement of the knobs is also very good, it looks like a production instrument!
tokyomatik

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks mate
the wood part was the easiest, to bend the aluminium by hand and hammer was more a task...
next time i will split the panel n 3 pieces so i dont have to go crazy to make it so precise to fit the wood construction
for the next times i found a guy that can give me nicer wood and make also the basic cuts, so it will be even faster when i have to build more boxes at the same time. i
Im trying to keep some kind of common style for the design of these boxes, since im having a lot of requests in a city so full of musicians like berlin, this is the way i pay my rent at the moment and i would like to be able to reconize one of my devices directly from the first look.
the friend that requested for this one, left me completely free about the creation of this beauty: "whatever sounds crazy and look also cool and i will find u peope interested in spending soome real cash...." and so it all started...

today i recorded some sounds and the samples created wih such simple configuraton make feel already sad at the idea that this machine has to go Crying or Very sad
aaprt from the usual squareave / 8bit style basslines, is possible to create some strange pulse sequences that even if only 8 steps are available with some patches are evolving randomly like a musician that is playing small variations of the same riff. here as example the first sequence is dry and the second is the same with beats added, some eq, compression and fx; nothing too fancy, but very inspiring anyway

la box pulse loop sequence.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  la box pulse loop sequence.mp3
 Filesize:  3.26 MB
 Downloaded:  1322 Time(s)

la box pulse loop complete.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  la box pulse loop complete.mp3
 Filesize:  3.26 MB
 Downloaded:  1359 Time(s)

prgdeltablues

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just completed this new module, which I've called "Visualiser". It's a 16x16 LED array oscilloscope, using LM3914 bargraph drivers to generate the display. Based on the datasheet, with front end scale and offset for both X and Y, and a built in VCO (Nicolas' simple Hz/V saw VCO).

My original idea was to be able to see when one of Ian Fritz' chaos modules was actually in a chaotic region, without having to haul out the oscilloscope. So it's main purpose is as an X-Y. But putting a signal from a VCO into Y and either using the built in ramp wave as X, or using a ramp derived from the signal (ie from the same VCO) it will also show waveforms.

No-where near the resolution of a proper scope of course, but works for quick checks. Here's images of the board, and of sine, triangle and square waves. I'll try to upload a movie clip of chaos and provide a link, as it obviously doesn't show on stills!

Runs of +/- 12V, and takes signals from about 5V to 20V P-P.

I would have said it's a synth module that makes no sounds, nor puts out a control voltage, but I've brought the internal scan out to the front panel - the range is about 4 HZ to 3.5 kHz.

Peter

[/img]

Visualiser board_01.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  168.62 KB
 Viewed:  723 Time(s)

Visualiser board_01.JPG

Visualiser closeup_01.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  172.11 KB
 Viewed:  686 Time(s)

Visualiser closeup_01.JPG

Visualiser sine wave_01.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  128.63 KB
 Viewed:  738 Time(s)

Visualiser sine wave_01.JPG

Visualiser square_01.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  137.21 KB
 Viewed:  742 Time(s)

Visualiser square_01.JPG

Visualiser triangle_01.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  124.83 KB
 Viewed:  675 Time(s)

Visualiser triangle_01.JPG

prgdeltablues

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's a link to a video of the visualiser in X-Y mode,showing some examples of chaos:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/297fgg40a7y8xd4/Visualiser%20Chaos.mov

Peter
elmegil

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That is a brilliant idea. My scope doesn't do a very good job of displaying X-Y anyway... I have some 3914's, I'll have to see if I have any matrix displays lying around....
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 4 of 8 [178 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: